Which RV Accessory Upgrades Are Worth Getting & Which Are Not

Benjamin

I would recommend the following (we do not boondock):

-a good suspension system such as MOR/ryde IS and 17.5" H rated tires and wheels

-disc brakes

-electrical management system to protect you from high & low voltage and wiring problems

-a smart converter to keep from over charging the batteries

-two air conditioners with heat pumps

-a rooftop dish for watching TV

-full body paint

-auto leveling system

-dual pained windows

-household fridge

-wish we had gotten a washer dryer

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

What type of RV (Motorhome, 5th wheel & truck, etc) do you have or are you asking about? Some upgrades and or equipment may not be neccessary/applicable or even available on some styles of RVs. Some things that I find helpful/important to me are electric/propane water heater, tempering device for the water heater, single lever faucets, oxygenics or similar quality shower head, ceiling fan/vent covers(maxair, etc.), thermopane windows, tire pressure monitoring system on all tires, water pressure regulator, whole house water filter, built in tank flush, smart charger and electrical management system (EMS).

Again, Welcome to the Escapees Forum!!!

It kind of depends on what type rv you have & what it had to start with. Big Greg apparently has a fifth wheel. Mine is a class a diesel pusher.

Items I added that are worth it:

electric system surge protection; automatic rooftop sat tv dish; tpms (mine is TireTraker); led light bulbs; flat screen tv's; rv specic gps (mine is Rand McNalley 7720); home-style water house water pressure regulator; sediment filter on incoming water; higher capacity water pump

Items I would want if I didn't already have them:

full body paint; ducted ac; dual or triple ac/with heat pump; triple stage charger so batteries are not overcharged; B.I.R.D or similar system (like Trik-L-Start) so both house & chassis batteries are charged regardless of the power source; automatic transfer switch; aluminum wheels; drinking/ice maker water filter; enclosed/insulated basement; dark tinted dual pane insulated windows; black tank flush system; small washer/dryer

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

It all depends on what type of RV and what kind of RVing you do.

AFChap gave some examples for a motorhome. I might add to that since we're boondockers/dry campers - plenty of solar panels and batteries and a side radiator (much cleaner and easier to maintain). Dual pane windows are a must along with a tire pressure monitoring system on both the RV and towed vehicle.

We'd eliminate t.vs/satellite dome - don't watch t.v. and we use Verizon Jetpack for internet. We also didn't want a washer/dryer or dishwasher.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

As stated earlier it depends on what is standard on a particular RV. However I will give some suggestions on things that are nice to have.

First is a residential fridge, heated floors, and stacked washer & dryer. Next would be induction cook top, AquaHot heating, and fireplace. Winegard Trav'lr satellite system and dishwasher.

Welcome to the Escapee forums~!

What RV upgrades can you not live without?

The answer to that would depend upon how you expect to use the RV, the size of the RV, and where you expect to take it. For the person serious about wintering far out on one of the LTVA's in the southwest, a good, large solar system is almost a must, but for those who belong to one of the RV park groups like Thousand Trails or Coast to Coast, spending extended periods in "destination" parks, that would be a waste of money of the highest order.

There is actually very little beyond the typical standard equipment that I consider to be critical for short trips and even for full-time there isn't that much more but there are many nice things which could be added to make life easier. If you plan to be full-time, or if you expect to spend time in cold areas then I'd say that dual pane windows are very nearly a critical item. The same is true for having the best insulation package your RV offers. If you could tell us just a little bit more about your plans and lifestyle, we can be much more helpful.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

For me the absolute must have upgrades are: the best suspension system I can get so I don't hate driving, a good EMS system so I don't have to worry about my electronics, a comfortable bed because if I'm not sleeping I'm not enjoying, vent covers so I don't have to close them when it rains, and enough solar and tank capacities to let me go off grid for at least ten days so I can relax and enjoy my time with friends at Quartzsite. A desk with a comfortable chair is highly desirable so I don't regret the amount time I choose to spend using my computer but I've been able to work around that in most of our rigs.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

How about none of the above or all of the above? Only you can decide what will work for you. We full-timed with the absolute minimum--and loved every minute. Others want all the bells and whistles. The only way I know is for you to go out there and figure out what works for you.

2007 Arctic Fox 32.5 rls for full-timing, now sold.

2014 Sunnybrook Sunset Creek 267rl for the local campgrounds now that we are off the road
2007 Silverado 2500 diesel

Loving Green Valley, AZ (just South of Tucson)

One suggestion not mentioned yet that we have had on our last three rigs is a second spare tire. Haven't had any tire issues since going to 17.5s on the last two rigs but still like the security the extra spare gives on cross country trips. Expensive luxury or necessary expense, only you can decide, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Archived