Leaks and other questions

Bill and Judy LeMosy

Yesterday we arrived at Sandy Oaks RV Park south of Ocala FL for the next 2 months, so we now have a chance to take stock of all that we have learned about our "new to us" Volvo in the last few weeks. We had the windshield replaced at the GATR shop prior to leaving Des Moines and after driving through a fair amount of rain going through TX, it's leaking. The black film on the inside of the glass has a gap about 1/8" wide that bubbles water as we're driving down the road. We're going to call around on Monday to find someplace to re-do the windshield which we hope will stop the leak. After reading the other recent thread on leaks, we pulled back the floor mat and found that the spongy part is soaked on the passenger side. We're hoping that the windshield is the only source of the problem. We're concerned about getting the mat dried out since we're afraid to try to pull out the seats to remove the mat. It sounds like they're pretty heavy.

We also found that the passenger side vent in the sleeper is leaking badly. It did a pretty good job of soaking the mattress at that end and leaked some water down into the storage box below. Upon examination, we found that it appears the frame around both vents is in sad shape. It appears to have been caulked previously and we're hoping that cleaning and re-caulking might help to seal it up a little better. Is there there any sort of seal that we might add to help keep it water tight?

Judy LeMosy

2007 New Horizons Summit 38' / 2001 610 Volvo with Smart Car on bed

Just checked the invoice and it doesn't specifically mention a seal. It never occurred to me that we'd have to ask for a new seal but it makes sense that you would want one. We'll be sure to ask when we take it in to be re-installed.

Judy LeMosy

Try calling GATR and telling them what you found. Maybe they will pay for the repair since you are on the road and can't bring it back to them

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Try calling GATR and telling them what you found. Maybe they will pay for the repair since you are on the road and can't bring it back to them

GATR is generally a pretty good outfit. I'd also recommend talking to them....

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Leakage is a common problem with them most end up using a caulking in the corners to stop the leaking, there is an electrical junction under the corners where they leak so get it sealed as soon as possible

2014 jayco siesmic 3914

1998 volvo 610, singled short ( bought in 2005)

14 speed volvo tranny

2014 Toyota yaris

Thanks Jack and Star Dreamer. I'll give GATR a call tomorrow and see what they say. Anyone have any suggestions where, in the Ocala or Inverness, area we might have the windshield reset? I think there's a Volvo Truck dealership up in Gainesville but thought there might be something closer.

Bob A, I wasn't sure if you were talking about the leak in the windshield or the leaky vents. I'm guessing the vents since it looks like some caulking may have already been used across the bottom and in the corners. Thanks for the info. We have lots of caulk.

Judy LeMosy

Just as a point of interest, quite a few automotive glass folks will come to the truck. I've had that done twice. Make a few calls and ask. They usually don't charge extra for onsite replacement but you may have to make 1/2 a dozen calls to locate a business that can do the work. At the end of the day, the warranty is the same, the cost is close, and you don't waste time, money, and fuel buying a OEM windshield. My moon port on our 770 cost $145, in my driveway.

Paul

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

I would deal with an experienced windshield installer long before any truck dealer. It is purely a matter of specialization. Most dealers call in an outside windshield guy anyway. Just cut out the middle man.

I have had 10 windshields replaced in this Freightliner (bonded in, not locking gasket). My best guy has an 80% no leak avg. It is a problem industry wide.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Thanks Jeff. I talked with the GATR shop that installed the windshield today but the service manager was out today. Hope to get a call from him tomorrow. Also spoke with the Volvo dealership in Auburndale FL today and they said they normally outsource windshield installation and that any windshield installed by or on behalf of a Volvo dealership should be warrantied. Hopefully I'll hear from GATR tomorrow and find out how they want us to handle. Hope it works out.

Judy LeMosy

Archived