forced windows10?

bigjim

I haven't been on my laptop for 9 days. I just tried to do updates on windows ( I have 7home premium). It did not have the usual box with the important updates and recommended updates. I went to the second part where you check the individual boxes for what you want when I went back to start the updates it started the windows 10 and when I hit stop updates it won't. Are we being forced to update now?

On my Win7 laptop there was a link in small text below the Windows 10 that let me see the updates and uncheck installing Windows 10. What is irritating is the wifi chipset won't work on Windows 10, so the machine would break if it was installed.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I almost fell into that trap this morning. I had selected the updates I wanted downloaded and installed, not noticing that the Windows 10 box was checked. When I clicked on the "Install" button, I immediately noticed that it was going to download Windows 10, so hit the end installation button. Fortunately, it stopped the installation for me. I went back, reselected the updates I wanted, this time making sure the Windows 10 button was not checked (doubled checked it a couple of times).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Jim: Click on the control panel...windows updates...click on optional and then uncheck Win 10!!! You may have to do this often. If you right click on the Win10; then you can hide the update I did this about three times and don't see or get forced to upgrade when I do updates now. I also clicked on change settings and checked let me choose when to download and install.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I have 29 updates waiting on my Win7 laptop. None of them concern Win10. I don't know what I'm doing differently.

Be careful. Some of the updates say absolutely nothing about Windows 10 but in fact set your computer up for the install and will add a nag to your desktop to install. Sometimes these updates are in optional and sometimes they're not. Microsoft has been very, very sneaky about this. Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Be careful. Some of the updates say absolutely nothing about Windows 10 but in fact set your computer up for the install and will add a nag to your desktop to install. Sometimes these updates are in optional and sometimes they're not. Microsoft has been very, very sneaky about this. Chuck

Example? I always read every update title before I let it apply. I haven't seen anything different lately. The usual stuff. I very seldom allow the optional updates.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

I just did the Wife's desktop. Windows 10 turned a fast well tuned 8 GB RAM Quad core fast processor and Crucial BX100 256GB SSD equipped machine into a slow, unstable, and choppy experience. I am making sure of the best return route because we only have 30 days after upgrading to return to our previous Windows version, in this case Windows 7. I have an image I made just before upgrading so the return should be no problem if the revert to old Windows doesn't work. I am now officially leery of it for the rest of my devices. I will be waiting another six months before trying it on my main desktop or my 11.6" Hybrid ASUS tablet ultra book. It is running fine on the two systems, a laptop and the Dell Venue 11 Pro. I am gonna wait for the rest.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Example? I always read every update title before I let it apply. I haven't seen anything different lately. The usual stuff. I very seldom allow the optional updates.

Reading the title is not going to help. Microsoft has gone out of the way to be very vague about what the update actually contains. To be sure, you need to go to Microsoft website and read the details of the update. Many Windows 10 updates that track your activity on your computer, and there are several, do not tell you what they actually do. Examples??? These updates introduce some serious data collection to Windows 10. But read the "Title".

KB3068708 This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB3075249 This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.

KB3080149 This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

Chuck

58dd65872f8a7_ReducedRVandCar.jpg.cf7b626fb3b5b05ebc20cb05195193a2.jpg

Chuck and Susan      1999 Fleetwood Bounder 34            Triton V10 on Ford Chassis

Here's an article with advice and screen shots. I don't believe the "forcing" happens if you have not reserved an upgrade first. I had cancelled all upgrades and am not getting the strong arm on those.

Excerpt:

"Windows 10 upgrade nags become more aggressive, offer no opt-out''

Some Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 users are finding that they can only reschedule and not cancel Windows 10 upgrades.

"If you are seeing either of the above two screens, exactly as they appear here, GWX Control Panel is not yet able to help you," writes Mayfield, "although I am looking into whether it's possible to fix these things through software. I do not have any recommendations at the moment, though, unfortunately."

I've come across unconfirmed reports that using System Restore to take the system back to a point before September 15 will get people out of the jam, although the fly in the ointment here is that Windows 8.1 no longer generates automatic restore points by default, and they can only be created manually.

Only last month it was revealed that Microsoft was quietly downloading the Windows 10 installer files -- many gigabytes in size -- to users who had not asked for the, just in case they decided they wanted to upgrade.

It seems that Microsoft is desperate to get laggards who are still running Windows 7 and Windows 8 onto Windows 10, but there's a fine line between being enthusiastic about a new operating system and behaving like you own every PC running Windows, and I think that in this case that line has been crossed."

The whole article is here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-upgrade-nags-become-more-aggressive-offer-no-opt-out/?tag=nl.e539&s_cid=e539&ttag=e539&ftag=TRE17cfd61

So how do you cancel the reservation? Follow these instructions: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/canceling-windows-10-reservation/6ad6c6c3-4eab-461d-9563-77d7a20c4ecc

The "hamburger menu" referenced is the three horizontal stripes in the top left corner. Click on it.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Reading the title is not going to help. Microsoft has gone out of the way to be very vague about what the update actually contains. To be sure, you need to go to Microsoft website and read the details of the update. Many Windows 10 updates that track your activity on your computer, and there are several, do not tell you what they actually do. Examples??? These updates introduce some serious data collection to Windows 10. But read the "Title".

KB3068708 This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708) This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

KB3075249 This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels.

KB3080149 This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights.

Chuck

None of this has anything to do with the question. LindaH stated that she had inadvertently checked the Win10 box. You implied that the Win10 upgrade was disguised within the other updates. I asked for an example. You answer with telemetry and diagnostics for Win10.

I don't have Win10. I don't have any boxes for Win10 to check. I've had nothing related to Win10 installed on my computer. I must be doing something differently than others.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

LindaH stated that she had inadvertently checked the Win10 box.

She probably didn't "inadvertently" check the box. Microsoft probably checked it for her. This article explains how: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/10/16/microsoft-accident-forces-windows-10-onto-windows-7-windows-8/

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I agree that their overzealous approach coupled with what they are saying is a mistake is a shame on them. The first desktop computer I upgraded, my wife's, was first reserved by me, my bad. I immediately double checked all my others and they were and are still not reserved. I goofed forgetting to change hers. However, I am computer savvy and I was as stumped as she was in only getting the options to update now or reschedule. I was just going to try reverting it, then if it failed just use the Windows repair disk I made for that Windows 7 system, and restore the image I made the week before upgrading. Her Quicken data is on an SD card that will update her Quicken to current in less than a minute.

In any event, I sure hope that they "fix" the options to refuse the upgrade, and only download it silently to the folks who reserved an upgrade, which is by permission. In the case of the folks reserving an upgrade, it should offer the option to silently download for a fast upgrade, or another option to wait for the download and not download any of it.

All the goodwill they have earned, and MacBook killer Surface products, and $300.00 rebate for upgrading your less than six years old non 10 machine, to a qualifying Windows 10 machine is for naught.

Like Woody said, he's more comfortable praising MS product improvements than praising them unreservedly.

I like the devices now as well as the OS. Funny thing, my wife asked me to wait a few more days before reverting her desktop to 7. See, her Dell Venue 11 Pro tablet has had Windows 10 since the start. She wants to see if there is any speed improvement with any updates.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I had not reserved or selected 10 and there was no choice of a block to check. It would not respond to my clicking on the stop download or say no to my giving permission. I may have lucked out as I had to leave my location and turned the computer off and left any area for wifi. When I logged on this AM I seem to be back to my 7 Home premium. When I went to check for updates and which had been installed Thursday I got the same screen with the same options. I then checked for what had been installed and only the important and recommended 1's I had checked for W7 had been done. I went back to other screen and clicked on a different area of the Win10 panel and up came the screen that said I did not have any important or recommended updates due. I DID NOT click on the box on that panel.

In my mind this is total deciet by a major company that has gained almost total necessity in our lives and are beyond our control. Their are others that have done the same.This is a major downsided to computers and the internet. I know it is not going away but I just had to rant a little.

I had not reserved or selected 10 and there was no choice of a block to check. It would not respond to my clicking on the stop download or say no to my giving permission. I may have lucked out as I had to leave my location and turned the computer off and left any area for wifi. When I logged on this AM I seem to be back to my 7 Home premium. When I went to check for updates and which had been installed Thursday I got the same screen with the same options. I then checked for what had been installed and only the important and recommended 1's I had checked for W7 had been done. I went back to other screen and clicked on a different area of the Win10 panel and up came the screen that said I did not have any important or recommended updates due. I DID NOT click on the box on that panel.

In my mind this is total deciet by a major company that has gained almost total necessity in our lives and are beyond our control. Their are others that have done the same.This is a major downsided to computers and the internet. I know it is not going away but I just had to rant a little.

I hear your pain........sorta distant sound since I made the move to........... Linux........life without MS is very sweet........

A lota of folks will say that Linux is only for geeks.......but what a lota folks do not know ........is that almost MS users are already using Linux every day without knowing since the MAJOR system utilized in the INTERNET is............Linux...........NOT.......... MS.......

Drive on..........(Try the Non-MS.........Linux is not only for geeks.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Hi Dollytrolley. Trolling Windows threads? I am sometimes referred to as a geek and I used Linux, programmed my Raspberry Pi with Raspberry's Debian first iteration. I used to use a lot of Linux rescue disks for my computers and ones I used to disinfect. I do not like Linux. Some of the people who love it are fine. The smug ones, like the smug ones that belonged to the church of Apple have lightened up years ago when they found their systems not only could be infected, but were, by the same social engineering that needs to be used for Windows today.

Most folks are aware that many of the breached and compromised servers serving up malware to all OS' and returning our data to the criminal crackers, are indeed Linux. When the stories of Linux breaches, vulnerabilities and infections are posted the Linux folks all come running claiming FUD! Heresy! and the last defense "The stupid Lusers don't know what they are doing." Oh sure blame it on the user.Then they tell me how invulnerable Linux is. I could have avoided that claim easily. I used to cite the bungling idiots who broke into the main Linux kernel repository and didn't realize where they were, and what they could have done. Amateurs breached the main source 5 or so years back.

But there is a newer one from April of 2015 that is hard to blame on inexperience.

The claims to security and code superiority are kind of overcome by stories like these:

"Linux Australia Hit With Server Breach"

Excerpt:

"Linux Australia developed the system for themselves, so on March 22, when the server began spitting out a large number of error emails, developers didn’t think much of it.

“The error emails were generated by the automatic deployment of code merges to the various Zookeepr instances, and it is not uncommon for large numbers of these to be generated as generalized network routing or other issues occur,” Hesketh wrote.

Two days later however, upon further examination, the group’s administrative team was able to deduce that the server had fallen victim to a malicious attack. In response, developers suspended all non-admin accounts that interacted with the server.

Hesketh claims the group’s admin team was also able to isolate the RAT, the botnet software, and remove any init scripts relating to the attack. Init scripts, used to configure Linux daemons, are run to start required processes as part of its boot process.

Going forward, in order to be more proactive about security the group claims it will expire conference attendee accounts three months after each conference ends, enforce only key-based logins, and deploy a log analysis tool that should tip it off if any suspicious activity is observed.

In addition to discussing Linux issues, the group, comprised of more than 5000 Aussies, also participates in several subcommittees and special interest groups which lobby before the country’s government on behalf of all open source software. While the site is currently offline, the group held its most recent conference, Australasia’s regional Linux and Open Source Conference, in Auckland this past January."

That article in ThreatPost can be found at: https://threatpost.com/linux-australia-hit-with-server-breach/112025/#sthash.oaRTJ0jc.dpuf

Here are a bunch more: https://threatpost.com/?s=linux

In 1986 I was forced to try the newfangled desktop with a mouse called the MacIntosh. Southern Illinois University had them and required us to do our engineering drawings and flowcharts on the school's Macs. I was both IBM in that I had an XT to play with because it had a power supply problem and it was given to me to have free, if I wanted to try and fix it. (bad solder connection from one wire of power cord to power supply) Heck I had a Commodore 64 and the DX64 portable as well as a Promenade programming board that I loaded programs onto EPROMs with, then used game cartridges to sort of have the equivalent back then of a USB drive, as it plugged in and kept my programs on it faster to load than floppies. The IBM XT clone I got had a Hard drive-10MBs! I could never fill that much drive up! (I thought) But the availability of IBM compatible hardware and software off the shelf soon overcame that available for Commodore. In 1995 I sold my 2 Commodore 64s, and one Commodore 128 8 bit, with all the game cartridges and programming board, the upgrade Monitor and standard one, two External floppies one the high capacity which I forget, but both were 5.25". I was sold on the IBM by then as the Air Force had gone all IBM. But for real multitasking and fewer crashes I rebelled and used DR DOS 4, 5 and 6 on my systems until 1995. DR DOS did real multitasking and was faster than the MDDOS or PCDOS, and handled upper memory and other tasks better than MSDOS did. I did try GeoWorks for PCs that had a "desktop" and used a mouse. In the early 90's all the software (DR) and hardware companies (AMD) would lie in wait for the new MSDOS and new Intel processor then AMD and DR would come out a bit faster and more features than MS did. So I was like you today, using the IBM/PC hardware, but using a DOS/OS for it that did what I was used to, thus preferred. Unlike Linux, DRDOS was fully hard AND software compatible with IBM/MD/Windows, and ran all the MSDOS programs and utilities, just faster and better. I was active duty AF and had been using MSDOS since 1986 at the Office but the AF chose Windows 95 and Office Pro 95 and I was floored. I did not want to use the dang mouse and I stubbornly refused to use Word and the danged mouse thingie I saw as no improvement for me. I was happy using keyboard commands and WordStar, the text processing program I'd been using on my Commodores and XTs for the past 12 years or thereabouts. But the mouse and Windows95 and Office did not go away and I had to use them. So after Windows 95 first in my office, then so I could work the same at home I bought Windows 95 and Office 95.Heck back in the 90's I ditched Microsoft MSDOS in favor of Gary Kildall's DR DOS BY his company Intergalactic Digital Research, later shortened to the familiar Digital Research or DR.

So aside from having to find drivers for new hardware or not, and having to learn a whole new ecosystem, and to do the kinds of things I do with CMD in Windows, to switch to a Linux box, I have to go through a steep learning curve of command line commands for Linux. Been there tried that, no thanks. I am sure it suits you just fine.

Welcome to the discussion about Windows avoidable mistakes in introducing their free OS. There are many of us here that dual boot Linux and others that use both to be able to use older machines. I am no longer interested in multiple OS'. Besides, both of our phones are new Lumia 735s with Verizon that are listed as on the list for the first upgrades to Windows 10 too! Linux doesn't have phones other than derivative Android do they, I mean straight up Linux?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

RV said:

Welcome to the discussion about Windows avoidable mistakes in introducing their free OS. There are many of us here that dual boot Linux and others that use both to be able to use older machines. I am no longer interested in multiple OS'. Besides, both of our phones are new Lumia 735s with Verizon that are listed as on the list for the first upgrades to Windows 10 too! Linux doesn't have phones other than derivative Android do they, I mean straight up Linux?

Rv, points well stated.........I also dual boot to various versions of several operating systems..........However I have chosen to step back from the "bleeding-edge" that has always been the hallmark of new MS projects............

I used to tear-around the world with my hair on fire but now that I am a geezer I tend to let the other folks "ski-over-the -cliffs" while I cruise along a smell the roses and for the most part Linux serves that mode of operation well..........

I well understand that it is likely that Lunix may not serve your needs except perhaps recover a broken MS machine once in a while...... so I suppose if Linux is your "life-raft", it's just something to keep your head above water.........I once was alone in a very big ocean in a very tiny life raft and I was not real happy....... until I counted my blessings..........and the sharks..........

Drive on.......(Dual boot is.......ok.....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Archived