Downsizing

G&K

Well, its not an HDT this time around, but its all mine.

D1E7A09D-F7A7-4073-BA99-9BBAFB34B2AA.jpg

Something perhaps a little unusual.

Its a 2006 Short bed, Supercab, F-350 SRW 6.0 Lariat 4 x 4. Never been registered off Vancouver Island, and hardly a mark on it. I looked at tow rings and hitch safety chain rings particularly. Zero wear. Carproof shows virgin.

And it has less than 115,000km, or 71,000 miles. I'm pretty familiar with 6.0 issues and have some money put aside for dealing with them.

Next, we look for a modest travel trailer.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

George, I had an '03 Excursion with a 6.0. It was chipped at 12k miles and I never had any issues. Well, I take that back. The tranny blow at about 4k miles but the engine never had an issue. I gave it to my stepson at 160k and he kept it for a couple of years without issues before trading it in. If you take care of it and watch the head bolts it is a good engine. I towed a 30ft bumper pull through 26 states with the Ex.

EDIT:

BTW...pretty truck. Sorry to hear about your HDT. I know I would cry.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Thanks Guys. Yes, I shed tears over the Volvo. I really liked the Suites, but I loved the Volvo.

Times change and we move on. Rocel felt the Volvo was a bit too big.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Once I repaired the Navistar/Ford mistakes . . .

Politically correct, perhaps, but quite unfair to one of the "partners". The problems were quite one sided.

There are thousands of 6.0 Power Stroke horror stories, but relatively few for same-year VT365s.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

Beautiful truck I owned a couple 6.0 trucks

When they ran right they are my favorite. My son still owns one 125,000 miles with no problems and would never sell it.

I lemon lawed one and traded the 2nd one in for a F150 after 3 turbos and 5 egrs.

To be honest I'm looking for a third one now because I really miss the super dutys and I really don't like the F1 50s

I would strongly suggest looking into bulletproof engineering's products for that truck.

They have the kit to convert to head studs.

Also move the EGR cooler outside of the motor and a lot of other tricks.

Most of the Ford dealers are highly recommending putting these kits on any of the trucks that had problems. And strongly suggest installing the kits before the truck does have problems and contaminates the inside of the motor.

Again absolutely gorgeous truck congratulations and enjoy

Thanks guys for all the good wishes and advice!!

I think we're going to have Torque Pro on Android talking to a PLX Kiwi 2 Bluetooth OBD2 adapter. Gives me code interpretation plus data logging.

There are a couple of good Powerstroke guys in Victoria. The first project is to get it in to the shop and find out what's been done already and what needs to be done right now vs later.

Sure drives nice. Took it up to Duncan this morning in the sunshine. About an hour:thirty each way. Need to get the tires balanced, but aside from that just purred.

I've been eyeing new AGM batteries plus the negative wiring upgrade to fix the original Ford design issues, plus a much bigger DC Power Engineering alternator. Not cheap, but neither is fixing broken things.

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Been there done that. A larger capacity alternator like the DC definitely makes a noticeable difference vrs the stock when at idle. It seems no matter what I do to enhance the battery system on my 6.0 I still need new batteries at 4 yrs. I don't waste my money on the AGMs anymore. The AGMs actually had the shortest life. Still haven't figured that one out. Updated all battery cables to 4/0 when she was a baby. Coolant filter is cheap insurance along with swapping out the ford gold coolant to a nice cat approved ELC type with a good flush using Cummins "restore" product to clean out all of the "silicates". This motor loves to be run hard so drive it like ya stole it! I'm sure you mechanic will steer you down the right path to longevity!

Great advice.

When you were doing the battery cables, did you bond both the left and right frame rails together, and then bond them to the engine block and negative batt terminal?

Seen some discussion that its the negative (grounding) side that's the big problem, particularly between the block and passenger frame rail, and some people that have addressed that are now getting better battery life??

Geo

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Yep. All the cables were upgraded and extra bonding added between left and right frame rails. When you start swapping all of that stuff out you will see why someone did a lousy job at Ford. Once you start fixing all of the issues you soon run out of free time and the wallet will be a bit thinner. It's all worth it in the end. I'm always finding something new to correct.

Thanks Guys. Yes, I shed tears over the Volvo. I really liked the Suites, but I loved the Volvo.

Times change and we move on. Rocel felt the Volvo was a bit too big.

Geo

We did the same eighteen months ago. But now with the smaller set up it put the fun back in camping. We don't miss the class 8 and the fifth wheel.

Hi George - the best piece of kit we added to our 3500 twuck for towage of trailers from the stern is an AirSafe hitch. It works nice on busted great plains roads. May not be needed on smooth BC roads. Chucking much reduced, truck handing a beating to light flimsy rv trailers much reduced. It is heavy to wrassle around but the skyhook looks after that.

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Beautiful truck I owned a couple 6.0 trucks

When they ran right they are my favorite. My son still owns one 125,000 miles with no problems and would never sell it.

I lemon lawed one and traded the 2nd one in for a F150 after 3 turbos and 5 egrs.

To be honest I'm looking for a third one now because I really miss the super dutys and I really don't like the F1 50s

I would strongly suggest looking into bulletproof engineering's products for that truck.

They have the kit to convert to head studs.

Also move the EGR cooler outside of the motor and a lot of other tricks.

Most of the Ford dealers are highly recommending putting these kits on any of the trucks that had problems. And strongly suggest installing the kits before the truck does have problems and contaminates the inside of the motor.

Again absolutely gorgeous truck congratulations and enjoy

I have an 06 f350 with with every part built proof makes for them. The 06 is a great motor after that upgrade. Would never sell this truck. Want to travel to Baja Mexico one day and would get a used TT to do this and then decide if taking the big trailer down later is advisable. Would have to hire a truck company as I can't take the volvo over the boarder.

JC

2009 Volvo 780. D-16 500hp 1850 torque with a Herrin hauler bed.

2015 Continental Coach

2008 650cc Suzuki Bergman

2013 Mustang GT 500 convertible

2014 Smartcar convertible

WWW.Hollyfab.com. (Metal Fabrication Company)

Jamesc@hollyfab.com (preferred contact method)

Archived