My biggest problem with Windows 10: Instability

RV_

I held off on upgrading any of my main units to Windows 10 until I felt it was ready for prime time. I did do a laptop that I am playing with for now. But Mary Jo Foley, one of my primary go to tech writers for Windows had the above titled article which made me glad I did wait. She has direct links to MS insiders and usually has the tech info first.

Excerpt:

"Windows 10's strength -- its comprehensiveness -- is also its biggest weakness. Too many moving parts are making for an unstable computing experience for me. Bring on Redstone!

On my Windows 10 machine, this is how I've come to start my day: I slowly open my laptop lid, cautiously peer at my screen and wonder what is no longer working like it did yesterday.

Some days, I'm pleasantly surprised and things seem stable. But in the past couple weeks, the opposite has been the case. As a result, part of my new morning routine is checking my Windows Update history and my Windows Store app installation history, hoping against hope for clues as to why my machine is not running right.

This is not OK.

I wasn't a big Windows 8 fan. Being a heavy mouse and keyboard user, I liked 8.1 a bit more. Before installing Windows 10, I was really upbeat about its prospects, and my first few days with the new OS made me bullish.

But Windows 10's lack of stability is really starting to be an issue for me in a way that wasn't my experience on Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1. And based on emails and Twitter messages, I'm getting, I am not alone.

I've been running Windows 10 since just before July 29. I installed Build 10240 -- the release many of us call RTM, but which Microsoft officials don't want us to -- and haven't moved to newer Windows Insider test builds. (I did not do a clean install. I installed the final bits from a USB device and upgraded from 8.1.) Since installing this build, I've had problems with Windows Store (it wouldn't allow me to buy apps or get app updates) and Windows Mail."

Lots more specific issues and information in the full article here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/my-biggest-problem-with-windows-10-stability/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I still have 8.1 on my Surface 3 and don't plan on updating to 10. I don't know what people's problems with 8/8.1 has been since I've never had any problems (touch screen here...I can't imagine using 8/8.1 without a touch screen!).

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

12 upgrades, 4 Windows 7, the rest 8.1, all running fine. 6 in an store sales environment.

Some people just have problems and many don't.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I kind of agree overall with her article BUT.

I do not use the Store, Apps, Mail, or Tablet. That appears to cut off a lot of the problems some are having. Also with the poor performance of Apps, I wonder why she needs the Store.

If I had a suggestion for her, it would be to run two win 10, dual boot at least.

1. with all the features on including privacy etc.

2. with most of the problem areas (see above) off or not used, and privacy and metered turned on.

This would keep the updates from installing and allow her to see which one caused the problem on her main or full installed machine.

Keep in mind that for whatever reason, she is running a prerelease version even if it is only a couple of days older than the official release version. In the past MS has released official versions that were not the same as the p

rior test or rtw versions.

Plus, while those issues are real, they were noted and fixed.

I have had only 2 issues with 10, one resolved itself, and the other was caused by a hardware issue and resolved with a reboot as it should have been.

There is also a 3rd issue with Pin to Start. Some pin okay and others do not pin at all. There is information, that shows that Pin shouldnt work at all. I wish it did, even though I only use Start as a backup to my preferred method of initiating program starts. 8start if you need to know.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Mark: you are gutsy to have upgraded those store sales machines. I sometimes go to a small town grocery store and they still run DOS based store machines.

Gusty is trying to remotely support old operating systems.

Usually the lag behind is due to the application software not running on current operating systems. That type of software must really be important or it gets replaced by a developer that can stay current with operating system releases.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

Why they can't get their drivers out with a new release is beyond me.

Because drivers come from the manufacturer of the devices.

I was using a BU-353 GPS Puck for my CoPilot navigation software on the truck PC running Windows 7. Upgrading to Windows 10 found the BU-353 driver non functional. This happen when Windows 8 came out and Prolific, the chip manufacturer for the BU-353 just refused to write a new driver for a device 8 years old.

So I had to acquire a BU-353S4 GPS puck and Windows 10 had the driver for it.

But it is better to blame Microsoft. It is more fashionable.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

I also do not use the Store, (many)apps, MS Mail......I've done 4 machines. One had a self-induced issue (not enough disc to do the upgrade) and had to be recovered....and I mean a disc-wipe recovery. The rest are fine and are in daily use.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

To quote the lock up problem; this is what my android phone does with the google app! Seems like then it is a wait or hold the power button and shut it down and reboot. The phone is a Samsung Galaxy Express and the carrier is AT&T 4G-LTE through Crickett.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

I upgraded to 10 on my Surface, (first model) and all seemed to work great. But one day the mail app would not open. All efforts to delete and reinstall did not work. Could not delete. I like being able to click one time and see all three email accounts, and use all three for different reasons. Finally got so frustrated went back to 8.1 and then was able to delete mail app and re install and now mail works just fine. May just stay at 8.1 since it works great form me.

Perhaps the house is haunted though, iPad shows apps that have upgrades but will not upgrade, just sits there.

then this morning iPhone was flakey but that may be because 6s is on the market, just kidding...

tjones1935

If you can't fix it with a hammer you have an electrical problem.

I possibly upped the challenges by changing to the Insider Preview version of win 10 pro last week. This gets me the updates faster than through regular distribution along with previews of new features. So far, it is fine.

I have run on Win 10 since the original preview. Upgraded 8.1 Meda center when the real release came out. I make it a habit to also do a clean install on a different hard drive to both have a fallback and to help with diagnostics about whether a problem came though the upgrade or came with Windows. Both have worked fine except for one problem involving NVIDIA video.

I use mostly Chrome (Canary, actually) and there is a known problem when Chrome's set to use the video adapter's hardware acceleration. Various symptoms range from apparent hangs, black screens, auto reboots, etc. Still no word on exactly why and it does seem to be a problem across multiple NVIDIA adapters. I have a GT610 but have seen mention of GTX problems, too. Just turning off the check box stopped mine problems cold. It also happens on the clean install making it clear it is either a hardware or driver related issue.

I have not seen it happen under OPENSuse but I really don't run on that for very long periods.

Other than these issues I have been happy with Win 10.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

Archived