One solution to that annoying slippery wet grass

noteven

No HDT on here could drive in that!

Singled or not!

Curt

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

I want one a them things. I could wear 'em out at the mud bog over to the county fair.

WooHoo

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Looks like he's done that a few times!

The front wheel drive helps a lot as well.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Hi Exile in the first video the bed truck is running a set of tracks on the rear tires.

No use chains in sand - low tire pressure is the key - here is a video from a tire pressure control company which illustrates the effect of tire pressure on sand operation:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hClgnjn9hZ4

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Flashback to my abused childhood............."Grumps" got a heck of a deal on a old WWII Half-Track that he converted into a "winter-service-rig".....

When the mud or snow would get over a few feet deep and the old "Half-Track would get a "bit stuck"........no problem........it had TWO 20-ton winches .........one on the front and one on the rear and you get got out and waded thru waist-deep muck dragging a couple hundred feet of 3/4 wire rope out to a suitable tree to hitch to and then winch the thing out and over to the next bottomless pit and start all over again..........

Guess who got to steam clean the thing when it got back to the shop..............and folks wonder why some kids run away from home........

Drive on..........(stay on the paved roads........)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

That is awesome !!

And a very talented as well as experienced driver as well.

When he was backing in all I was thinking was....ha...wait till he tries to get back out....as in plowing those front wheels half way to China...

Bit hanging that load off the back like that is really smart...taking most all of the weight off the front wheels...

Thanks for sharing.. I really liked that..

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Hi Bob - rig movers call that "tailboarding" - bed trucks are used to "spot" equipment units in yards and on locations.

Here are a couple Kenworth beds on a rig up along with a Foremost Commander. When these trucks pick up these loads those are 14 x 25 inch 20 ply rear tires squatting under the weight ... a bit later in the video you can see the ground mats rippling under the weight as he moves to spot the draw works.

I do chuckle a bit when a 10 page sandbox kerfuffle breaks out on a RV tow vehicle forum about my 250 - 2500 350 whatever is "512lbs over GCW" :D

These trucks weigh over 90,000lbs with no load and are capable of loading and moving 60 ton pieces. The Foremost (invented in North Battleford, SK many moons ago and now manufactured in Calgary, AB) is heavier and can carry these loads in a sea of mud. It has to be hauled from site to site while the Kenworths can travel about 50 to 60 mph.

Viewer advisory - the commentary describes the action well but there is an f sharp that slips in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Ne26IitXc

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Thanks for posting, both. We say several of those rigs on the drive from Grand Prairie, AB to Saskatoon, SK last summer. Now I know how they're used.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I guess I take it for granted that that's how the rest of the world gets by, being surrounded by equipment like that. We haven't spun out on wet grass, yet, but have left some spectacular trenches using a more open tread tire. We have been rescued from mud 1/2 way up the tires by a 2500 Dodge keeping a tow line taut. The rear overhang was starting to float the rear end, ant the front of the trailer was getting close to being a grader blade. The jacks were almost invisible behind the pile of mud they were pushing. I wasn't stuck, but wasn't having much luck with self-extraction. This was in a CG, on an approved gravel road. Just too early in the season, as the frost was still coming out of the ground.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Seeing a 1-ton yank a coil rig out of the mud is kinda cool too. You do run across some odd stuff in the 'patch.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Hi Bob - rig movers call that "tailboarding" - bed trucks are used to "spot" equipment units in yards and on locations.

Here are a couple Kenworth beds on a rig up along with a Foremost Commander. When these trucks pick up these loads those are 14 x 25 inch 20 ply rear tires squatting under the weight ... a bit later in the video you can see the ground mats rippling under the weight as he moves to spot the draw works.

I do chuckle a bit when a 10 page sandbox kerfuffle breaks out on a RV tow vehicle forum about my 250 - 2500 350 whatever is "512lbs over GCW" :D

These trucks weigh over 90,000lbs with no load and are capable of loading and moving 60 ton pieces. The Foremost (invented in North Battleford, SK many moons ago and now manufactured in Calgary, AB) is heavier and can carry these loads in a sea of mud. It has to be hauled from site to site while the Kenworths can travel about 50 to 60 mph.

Viewer advisory - the commentary describes the action well but there is an f sharp that slips in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Ne26IitXc

Oh Gosh...that was really cool to watch...

Thanks much..

Funny thing.... I retired from a company named ABL also.....but they were a Government Contractor.. :)

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Archived