People think I am crazy Semi vs Pickup debate...........

Vegas Teacher

The wife and I saw a Toyota Tundra pulling a Savoy 5th wheel when we were in Medora, ND. this summer. Scary. But then in the last ten years seeing every year more BIG 5th wheel trailers being pulled by 3/4 and 1 ton single wheeled pickup trucks. Most of the trucks are sagging in the back and the headlights are checking out the owls in the trees. Owners saying the truck pulls their trailer just fine.

Vegas teacher: Glad to see you thinking of a HDT. The number one thing I hear. "Think you have enough truck to pull that trailer?" I tell them I do and have enough truck to safely stop the trailer too.

The Tundra is a good truck for day to day stuff and is OK while pulling along flat highways like I - 40 or I - 70 in Ks but when you put them on a 6% grade or go over the Rockies you will hit 4500 - 5500 RPM's even with my small trailer. Yes when you put a larger load on them they do tend to sag a little. I only put about 6K on mine and I think I am about 1K at the bumper so not a lot of sag but if I don't use the sway bar and stabilizers on a long trip I am screwed.

Allen,

Very well said.

Don't let Corey fool ya, he is already hooked. He is looking for ammunition for the relatives who want to send the guys with white coats and a straight jacket after him......

Yes I am Flyer is correct, but if this all goes bad I am blaming it all on him. LOL!!!!!! Actually Flyer is a great person, but I am still going to blame him, LOL!

The Tundra is a good truck for day to day stuff and is OK while pulling along flat highways like I - 40 or I - 70 in Ks but when you put them on a 6% grade or go over the Rockies you will hit 4500 - 5500 RPM's even with my small trailer. Yes when you put a larger load on them they do tend to sag a little. I only put about 6K on mine and I think I am about 1K at the bumper so not a lot of sag but if I don't use the sway bar and stabilizers on a long trip I am screwed.

I meant for this to go back to Nolan's thread so it would make sense, but I replied to the wrong one. I am still learning to use the forum and I don't have my glasses on today. I just got bifocals and wearing them gives me a headache.

Hey my wife is going up to Cedar City this weekend to the Shakespear Festival, maybe I should go out and buy one while she is gone and surprise her when she gets home. but then again I might find myself living in the HDT while she keeps the house, trailer and dogs.

Later,

Vegas Teacher,

Cory O

Vegas Teacher

I know of a fellow that has a 2005 Volvo 670 already singled and has an APU and invertor installed with many more upgrades. He is located in Pahrump and is looking to sell. You might be able to make a deal while the wife is gone! :) lol

Hey my wife is going up to Cedar City this weekend to the Shakespear Festival, maybe I should go out and buy one while she is gone and surprise her when she gets home. but then again I might find myself living in the HDT while she keeps the house, trailer and dogs.

Later,

Vegas Teacher,

Cory O

Howdy Cory,

Something a man should ALWAYS keep in mind. When it comes to buying toys it is ALWAYS better to beg forgiveness after having made the purchase then to ask permission before doing so.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Today on a 500 mile jaunt from OKC to Memphis if I saw 5 I saw 50 35ft + 5'ers being pulled by 2500's/250's that were tail dragging, swaying with the wide. Drivers hunched up on the steering wheel trying to be safe.

But I also got many thumbs up by truckers passing us or being passed by us that liked the truck. Then yet how many Volvo truck do you see with Flames on them? B)

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Howdy Cory,

Something a man should ALWAYS keep in mind. When it comes to buying toys it is ALWAYS better to beg forgiveness after having made the purchase then to ask permission before doing so.

Dave

Dave,

You"re doing something wrong. My wife and I buy each other toys. So far, she'd bought me one motorcycle, and twisted my arm to buy two others, one being a '27 Henderson.

But, I bought her a couple of bikes and a Vette. Oh, and a cordless drill and a step ladder.

So, leave enough hints that she buys you the right color toys.... ;)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Dave,

You"re doing something wrong. My wife and I buy each other toys. So far, she'd bought me one motorcycle, and twisted my arm to buy two others, one being a '27 Henderson.

But, I bought her a couple of bikes and a Vette. Oh, and a cordless drill and a step ladder.

Howdy Cory,

Sounds like you and your wife are on the same wave lenght good for you. I must admit my post was more in jest then seriousness as me and my wife have always looked for things the other may enjoy and have taken care of each others wants and needs. :D

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Dave,

Several years ago we bought several acres on the Central Oregon Coast and it had killer ocean views but VERY thick forest that needed grooming..........so...........for the wifes aniv-Gift(s) .............I bought her.........a 1963 F750 Dump Truck, A 9,000 lb mini-excavator, a 722 Bobcat Skid-Steer Loader, 20 ft tilt-bed equipment trailer and a Commercial tree chipper......and .........had them all painted matching purple-black-white combos so they all match up........

Ok boys..........some advice.........FIRST when you buy your bride a dump truck make sure it has.......POWER STEERING!!!!

Ladies seem to not like tracked rigs and excavators do not ride like a Caddy.....

Bobcat loaders ride even worse than excavators......

She LOVES the tree chipper......it takes a house-size pile of limbs and makes a small dump truck load of nice chips and really loves the chips that it makes.........Win / Win..........

Go for the chipper...........

Drive on.........(Be careful with wife-gifts.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I pull a 30' bumper pull trailer behind my Volvo. I built a steel bed to haul my 73 Bronco. There are a lot of know it all's that will tell you what you do or don't need. In the end you are the one that needs to be happy. Once you set the cruise control on 65 and cruise up that mountain pass while grinning ear to ear, you will realize what a great purchase you made. o8e7v8.jpg

Allen

Nice to see your still around. I need some fellow Bronco owners beside me

It's all Jeeps and Volvos.

Truck looks great never seen the whole set up.

Charlie

Allen

Nice to see your still around. I need some fellow Bronco owners beside me

It's all Jeeps and Volvos.

Truck looks great never seen the whole set up.

Charlie

Allen,

I had a 1987 Bronco II when I was in college for a year. I worked in a custom car stereo shop and had my own custom stereo in it that shook the ground. I was driving around town on the bypass at 55mph when another car pulled through the intersection. It hit my Bronco just under the nerf bar and crunched it. I then spun around 180 degrees and then it rolled. I spent a couple of days in the hospital and my parents would not let me get another Bronco. I miss it very much. Two years later in front of my grandmas house a Bronco that looks like a mirror image of yours went on sale. I tried to buy it but my parents would not let me. Yes even in college I was controlled by them, but what could I do. They paid for my gas and insurance. But I love the Bronco still and yours looks great.

Archived