Streets & Trips upgrade?

I have been using S&T for years in the cab of my truck with the GPS option and love it.

Now that S&T will not be supported and no upgrades are planed does anyone have another option? I have read reviews on Street Atlas and are not thrilled.

Does anyone know how or if the NaveTec database in S&T can be upgraded?

Any thoughts anyone?

Roy

2005 New Horizons 36ft 5th/upgrades-Generator, Disk Brakes, Solar Package, Inverter. and more
2008 Ford F450 crew cab DRW

K3ROY
http://www.roanontheroad.blogspot.com/

I have been looking also. Streets is so simple to use and meets my needs 100%. I have tried Street Atlas and Garmin's Base Camp. I am happy with neither. I will stick with streets until it stops running. Wish someone would come through with something better but then I heard that with everyone using their cell phones for mapping they are in trouble. I don't know how they use there cell phone, I guess dedicate the cell to mapping and not use it for anything else. Give me a GPS unit anytime.

What happens when you don't have cell service and are using your cell for the route????

"What happens when you don't have cell service and are using your cell for the route????"

There are paid apps that download the entire map to the phone, but the free ones do need cell access to get the maps.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

"What happens when you don't have cell service and are using your cell for the route????"

There are paid apps that download the entire map to the phone, but the free ones do need cell access to get the maps.

How about programs for the PC where you use a GPS.

2005 New Horizons 36ft 5th/upgrades-Generator, Disk Brakes, Solar Package, Inverter. and more
2008 Ford F450 crew cab DRW

K3ROY
http://www.roanontheroad.blogspot.com/

I use a Rand McNally RV GPS, but always check the route with S&T. Even when MS drops updates the app will not just stop working. Over time routes and construction might change, but I have found the construction info has never been correct anyway. Between the S&T, paper maps and the GPS I am relatively safe in getting from point A to point B.

GS Lifetime #822128658, FMCA #F431170

2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Extended Class B

If you have a iPhone or iPad(with GPS) you can use the Free CoPilot for a car or the $14.99 Premium version that works for Car/RV/Motorcycle/bicycle/walking.

No cell service needed. It downloads to your device.

I use it on both and the $14.99 version license is good to use on both.

It also can be used on a Android or Windows phone.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

We also use the Copilot cheap version for live navigation. It works well - I really like it. We use it on an Android tablet, but it is available on practically any device. I still do planning with Google Maps. I used to use Street Atlas, but find that it is no longer required with CO-Pilot and Google Maps.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Lots of choices. Even Google Maps will save the necessary data for later use offline.

This question gets exercised every few months. A key distinction is whether one is talking about planning mode solutions or actual on the road guidance. Nothing does both great.

For me, I use Copilot Premium on my phone and Tablet for guidance on the road. Does not require internet while using it and it just works.

I use a combination of tools for planning (documented elsewhere) to help me work out the destinations and routing then plug the outline into Copilot for actual on the road assistance.

The Google Maps coupled with The old trailer life 2012 campground navigator CD and the RVing plan N go 2013 help me build my plans.

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

We use Streets & Trips for route planning as we plan a whole season before we start. It was the easiest to cut&paste addresses into the search box.

For driving, we create legs in ALK CoPilot. We use ALK CoPilot Live 9 Laptop Truck version running on a small form factor PC with dual monitors. We prefer the PC because we can have two monitors, one for the driver, one for the copilot.

We use a SiRFstar III real GPS receiver which works everywhere. Not every smartphone or pad has a GPS that works without cell towers.

We use the Truck version(more expensive) because it checks for clearances that are high enough for our truck and trailer.

The sad thing is that it appears that all the CD based PC mapping applications are disappearing.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

The Garmin maps are good for Canada, US and Mexico. Other SD cards are good for South America. They are not that good for Belize, Guatemala, and Honduras. The main roads are there but you cannot look up cities for navigation. We do the same as others have noted. Always use the Guia Roji in Mexico for planning trips and the day ahead. Check to make sure the atlas and the GPS agree and then make certain of signage during the day. The Arco Norte around Mexico City is not on Streets and Maps and you surely do not want to get into Mexico City traffic with a 34' 5th wheel.

Certainly do wish, as others on this thread, that S&M were upgraded.

Reed and Elaine

We use the Truck version(more expensive) because it checks for clearances that are high enough for our truck and trailer.

The RV version(cheaper) has height settings for 12' 6" or 13' also propane avoidance tunnels setting.

369070033.jpg

The RV version(cheaper) has height settings for 12' 6" or 13' also propane avoidance tunnels setting.

Not high enough for us. Our trucks are 13'3". This trailer happens to be 13' 3" also, but my last one was 13' 4".

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

We've been using Delorme's Street Atlas for approx. 20 years. We like it because you can program your desired route offline. As we're traveling we transfer the route to our Garmin which gives the driver a heads up or we have a Delorme-dedicated GPS and we can use with the laptop for following the route with all the details which the passenger uses. Using the Garmin just gives the basic route with no details. It's all what you get used to. We really dislike Garmin's Basecamp.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

CoPilot is having a 50% off Summer Sale of their apps, if this is of interest to anyone.

We continue to use MS S&T, but wonder if it will survive the Windows 10 world(?).

We have a Garmin DEZL 560, that has been a bit 'flaky' on the directions it suggests... (Either on RV or Auto mode.) We've retains our old Garmin C560 for back up, if ever needed.

The DW has ATT and we use her iPhone Google Maps when getting closer to a location. The vocal directions are quite often different, and most often better to follow, then the Garmin DEZL.

While trip planning for quick looks, I will use and save Google Maps too.

So, I have now, as many of you do, multiple ways of doing this. Oh, and when we are doing planning, we have a rule to always pull out our paper tales the night before, and cross check the routing suggestions with the printed map. And the DW loves (NOT!) steep long twisty mountain curves with deep drop offs and no guard rails:)! We've been known to alter a course, due to what she reads in Mountain Directory.

Best to all,

Smitty

Be safe, have fun,

Smitty

04 CC Allure "RooII" - Our "E" ride for life!

Not high enough for us. Our trucks are 13'3". This trailer happens to be 13' 3" also, but my last one was 13' 4".

But then you posted you used the cheaper version? :rolleyes:confused.gifconfused.gif

If I had a 13' 3" RV I would think the cheaper CoPilot with only 13' would work for me.

Wouldn't want to chance one marked 13' 3" and then notice the road had just been repaved as I was starting under it. :)

369070033.jpg

I do use the cheaper version. Mark uses the trucker version. I watch for signs and I use other methods to check my routes, and ALWAYS use truck routes in the towns.

www.jackdanmayer.com

I have the CoPilot HD app, and while I like it generally, I have found it unable to find quite a few addresses/destinations while traveling this summer.

For example, USA RV Park in Gallup NM: it tells me there are no house numbers on US 66 in Gallup, and redirects me to Wrangler Road in Continental Divide, NM, not even close. This park is not a new location, has been there years. If it can't find an address, why not at least offer to take me to Gallup?

Similar results on a number of other destinations. I contacted them about this, with a few examples, never heard anything back.

So I tend not to use it, wind up using the Apple Maps or InRoute apps much of the time.

We continue to use MS S&T, but wonder if it will survive the Windows 10 world(?).

I just did the upgrade to Windows 10. Streets and Trips continues to work well.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Maybe relevant, maybe not:

I used to be a service tech for North America. This involved flying to a town I've never been, renting a vehicle, and driving in an area that I'm not familiar with. My prep involved Google Earth, not Google Maps. With GE - I see the terrain, nearby landmarks, and I go into street view to visualize key freeway/highway exits and turns. This is a virtual way to "be there" before I arrive. I never got lost, and all I had to remember was the key turns to get me where I was going. By writing down the route - like "L hwy 18, R 10th st", road signs can fill in memory gaps. I don't want to be counting on technology when the GPS or PC goes dark or starts lying to me - which does happen.

Mexico:

What a mess. This is where GE really pays off, with views of landmarks. "Oh... there's that oil refinery I was looking for, and there's the Pemex next to the gulch - where I'm supposed to turn." I learned (the hard way) to never count on asking for directions - unless I want to hear the chant of "Derecho, derecho, derecho." One time I walked into a hotel and asked the employees where a street name was. Nobody had a clue, they never heard of the street name. I walked back out to the Jetta (best car to rent) and spotted a street marker I couldn't find before. This is when I realized I was on the street I was looking for... as was the hotel where the people worked every day. I'd never say they're stupid, the whole country just takes the subject of location differently than we do... they learn their surroundings by rote and almost never leave their home town.

I just did the upgrade to Windows 10. Streets and Trips continues to work well.

Safe Travels...

Very good to know. Thanks for that update.

Regarding fear of loss of cell phone service. . .usually when it's that remote, then there is only ONE WAY to travel any way.

Like being 100 miles south of Ely Nevada and losing cell signal. . .where you gonna' go anyway?

:)

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• 1 month later...

RVBuddys Journal Our progress into full-timing.
Budd & Merrily ===-> SKP# 088936 Other Websites:---> Hub of all my blogs
Clifford - 2000 VNL64T770 :: DakotR - 1999 C40KS King of the Road :: $PRITE - 2013 Smart Passion w/cruise

The Premium HD version at only $6.99 is a good buy. No cell service needed to use. Just needs a GPS

I paid $14.99 for mine. And it can be used both on my iPad & iPhone 6 Plus for no additional charge.

I really don't understand why the laptop download version "Co-Pilot Live v8" is $99.99 :(

Otherwise it would replace my Laptop S&T.

369070033.jpg

Archived