2000 Basement Air?

homelesshartshorns

We really like ours, it acts like a whole house air conditioner and keeps the coach as cool as we desire, even on 100* days. The standard air filter is the same as for a stixNbrix house, ours is 14X20X1. The silly green mesh that comes from the factory was immediately replaced with a Filtrete brand filter. I change it at least once every 6 months, because we were amazed at the amount of dust, and dirt it catches. Another reason we like it, while running it is very quiet, even while sleeping it's hard to hear-for us old folks anyway.

There are several threads explaining details of this unit on irv2.com. Some threads explain how to work on it yourself, downloads for service manuals, upgrades to components, where to buy components, troubleshooting, etc. One of the basement air experts posts here at escapees.com too. AFChap is his screen name.

This unit( 24,000 btu) is unique in that it utilizes 2 compressors, and will either run one or both, depending on cooling demand at the time.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We have an Alfa fiver and we like ours too. There does seem to be a love/hate relationship with the unit. The heat pump on ours is outstanding also. Quite a few folks, if they have had a problem, call an RV tech and they won't work on them. After calling a residential a/c outfit it was repaired. I think since the unit isn't on the roof and they just can't throw the old unit off and heist a new a/c up, they wash their hands of it. I do know on ours if the unit would have to come out, it does require a little bit more work, but very doable.

We have a Winn Journey that has basement air. We love it. Also, we decided to not replace our 2005 Journey because of the new top of the coach air units. We think it was a BAD decision for the companies to stop making and installing basement units. From most of what I have read the roof top units do not cool as well. Just a personal opinion.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

Ive heard good things about them , especially if they are heat pumps. The only drawback that would bother me is you lose quite a bit of storage space which to me is premium.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

The best part about the basement air setup is that the water drain does not ruin your ceiling from leaks? When the builders put the AC on the roof they made it almost impossible to add solar panels to the roof. Our setup is an A/c Heat pump basement system. We love it. Just remember to change your system air filters often.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

On my Alfa, the main condenser was located in the back below the basement between the framing. Easy to get at and didn't really lose that much storage space.

I also really liked the floor ducts.

Not meant to be argumentative, just saying.. :)

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Are replacements if needed easy to find?

AirXcel RV products is one source for new units , replacement parts, and service literature.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Some say they're not as efficient but the biggie is.................You lose the basement storage.

Sadly, with todays EPA requirements for emission control stuff, that basement storage is usually lost anyway.

Ours works great for both heat and A/C. No problems so far and we bought this coach new in 2002. I like the fact that my roof is much more clear and have partially covered it with solar panels. I also like the fact that I don't have the weight of two A/C units on the roof which, in my opinion, reduces body roll in corners. Most of my heavy stuff is down low.

Full time since August 2010

2002 Itasca Horizon

One fur kid - a Shih-Tsu rescue

Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd

Most any residential A/C shop is qualified to work on this residential unit. It's when they hear "it's in a MH" that confuses them, then you explain, give them the website address(in my previous reply) for reference, and say you'll have the access/removal instructions when they arrive.

Great replies, we looked at a unit with basement air, took over an hour to cool the coach down to 80 degrees when it was 100 outside. Got told it was much more expensive to repair also. Thanks for the question and the counter arguments!

Keith & Jodi
Fleetwood Expedition 34H

Great replies, we looked at a unit with basement air, took over an hour to cool the coach down to 80 degrees when it was 100 outside.

If any motorhome or RV cools down from 100° or near that in 1 hour or less, that is remarkable and it shows not only a good air conditioner but also at least reasonably good insulation and tightness. Many RVs do not have enough a/c & insulation combination to get much below 80° in such conditions.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The Winnebago Ultimate series(Freedom and Advantage models) was produced from 1999 to mid-2004. Over 400 built, for distribution to top-selling dealers only. This was Winnebago's luxury coach at that time, and the quality of materials and construction is outstanding IMO. Complete schematics, diagrams, and parts catalog, are available on the Winnebago website. I think all were built on Spartan chassis.

• 3 weeks later...

i have a horizon 2000 dp w/basement air, 1st compressor will not turn on. from what i read, an found in search's. not many ppl have had problems with basement a/c. But because of where unit is located, cost some cash to even look at/remove.

600+bucks for compressor, camping world said approx 1600.$ for labor. whole unit is 2800, not installed.

The good part of it is that, heard in arizona, a person had one, over 100 temp, inside of rv was 75 maintained.

2000 Itasca Horizon DP (Got Total During Irma). 

Vice President of Charlotte County Defenders LE MC

http://charlotte.defenderslemc.com/

Archived