Crossing into Canada

TJS

Greetings. I'm crossing into Canada in a few days. The border crossing guide indicates mattresses need to be cleaned. Does that also include those in an RV? Your information will be greatly appreciated.

First I've heard of it, too. We certainly never had our mattresses cleaned when crossing into Canada and were, in fact, never asked about it.

Do you have a link to the border crossing guide you mentioned?

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Been across from Michigan to Upstate NY a number of times with the HDT & fiver and never have has an issue.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Thanks for everyone's quick reply. So no website I acquired an US/Canada Border Crossing Guide while in Big Fork MT The guide stated "used mattresses may not be imported into Canada without a certificate that verifies the mattress has been cleaned and fumigated in the country of export ... " I suppose I read too much into it. Can't be too cautious. Again, thanks for the replies/info.

Sounds like you better get it cleaned IF you are selling it!!

If you have a pet have it's vaccination papers although the guard did not ask to see ours.

There is a limit on the amount of alcohol, we had a printed inventory as we had too much and the guard said no problem.

Be honest with them and look them in the eye, do not be evasive.

They can look up your past quickly once they have your passport so be honest.

If you have a criminal record you will not get in, a DUI can easily stop you too.

Each time you cross it seems they are interested in different things.

It is no big deal, enjoy the trip. Beware of the cost if you use your US cell phone and credit card fees outside the US.

Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Greg has pretty good advice. Be honest.

One tip, don't wear camo while crossing the border. If you wear camo, they assume there is a gun somewhere......and then your off to the races OR at least the little room next to the border crossing while they check your record.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

I just crossed into Canada from Port Huron, Michigan, last week, and it was very easy. All they wanted to know was where I was going in Canada and how long I planned to stay. Never even inspected my RV for fruits and vegetables! Whole thing took less than a minute, including showing them my passport.

We crossed into Canada in upstate Maine two weeks ago and the process was totally painless. We were compliant with the current restriction against importing eggs and uncooked poultry because of the avian flu epidemic, however, we weren't asked about it. We were asked about the quantity of alcoholic beverages we were carrying and whether or not we had any guns or pepper spray. We were compliant on the alcohol and we don't carry any firearms so those were non-issues. Here's a link to the official Canadian website for knowing what you can bring with respect to foodstuffs. The rules are far more relaxed than the misinformation commonly posted in many internet discussion threads would lead you to believe. In addition to the current poultry restrictions, the only other thing we usually avoid taking across are white potatoes which are subject to restrictions in the western provinces. http://www.inspection.gc.ca/food/information-for-consumers/travellers/what-can-i-bring-into-canada-/eng/1389648337546/1389648516990

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Hi - we went back and forth into Canada last fall; a breeze going in, just asked why we were traveling into Canada and how long our stay, gave us tips on trinket shopping and never asked about German Shepherds in back of truck and no question about trailer being towed. On the way into the US - more time was taken eyeballing us up, looking at GS and wanting to pet them (!), so I had to ask both dogs to stand up, 'go say hello', and only then was the guard satisfied they were not sick apparently. He did ask about purchases because we declared nothing, when we complained of the high prices, he laughed and said he has heard that same response from other tourists returning to the US, that seemed to break the ice, and we went on our merry way - no questions about trailer, nor inspection, he did eyeball the back of the pickup. And the guard on the way in was correct - get your trinkets/tee-shirts as soon as you get over the border, incredibly cheaper. Good luck, hope we hear back from you about your experiences.

when we complained of the high prices, he laughed and said he has heard that same response from other tourists returning to the US,

Anyone planning a trip to Canada this year should be aware that the current exchange rate has risen to $1 US = $1.25 CAD. Many credit cards provide transactions at the exchange rate with no additional fees. With that exchange rate some commodities in Canada are becoming real bargains. I've been paying $5 CAD/lb for canner lobsters at the docks and $6 CAD for market sized. That translates to $4 and $4.80 US which is quite a buy IMO.

Even gasoline which currently is $1.209/liter one PEI becomes $3.618/gal if one considers both the exchange rate and the difference between 4L and 1 gal. It's not exactly a bargain but it's just about what what we had been paying for gas in the US about a year ago, so it is tolerable even if not great.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

We have been across once the last three and one more time this week and me having Texas plates on my truck and FW I am asked three times if I have a gun, never have and never will, to expensive of a fine. One time after the repeated guns he asked me if I had any knifes, I looked him in the eyes and said yes a bunch of kitchen knifes in the trailer at which point he waived me on.

Dave Watkins

Highland Village, TX

2014 F-350 Dually

Open Range 349RLR

VisitedStatesMap.gif

We have been across once the last three and one more time this week and me having Texas plates on my truck and FW I am asked three times if I have a gun, never have and never will, to expensive of a fine. One time after the repeated guns he asked me if I had any knifes, I looked him in the eyes and said yes a bunch of kitchen knifes in the trailer at which point he waived me on.

With South Dakota plates they always ask about guns and, most of the time, pepper spray. We don't carry guns but we do have a large-size, well-marked can of bear spray that we declare and which they always have agreed was acceptable.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

Sometimes they ask about the dog food, we were told to keep the original packaging to prove what it was.

But then when we crossed both ways no questions were asked.

Phil & Alberta Saran

2019 Keystone Cougar 30RLS

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 4x4 diesel

Colorado

I just returned to the US today, and the lady at customs never even asked if I acquired anything in Canada. She just looked at my passport, entered some stuff into her computer, and told me to have a nice trip. I was told by some Canadians who cross the border often to keep meat in original wrappers, but I did that with some sausage and pea-meal bacon, but they never even asked about that.

I do know that if asked, I will be absolutely honest about everything. My ex-husband lied about some booze when we were first married umpteen years ago, and they not only confiscated it but took every penny we had on us. We did not even have credit cards to buy gas or food on the way home in those days, so I was furious! Luckily, we had enough gas to get home.

When we crossed with two rigs I had a legal long gun, a Shar-Pei furkid, and booze in the approved limits. I presented my paperwork for the gun, the dog's papers for health and vaccinations, my military (intentional) retired ID and Texas DL. He commented that I was fully prepared as we walked into the office to stamp my gun papers/permit. I asked if he wanted to see the gun he said no. In two minutes we were on our way. I asked if I could pull over to wait for my traveling friend behind is in his rig. They gad no guns, but Bob is the easiest going guy in the world. Until the border guard asked him three times if he had any guns and Bob got mad and told him that he'd already told him he had no guns was he calling him a liar?

It took an hour for them to search his rig, and no they did not toss it or mess it up. They were very interested in her bags of white powder. She kept her laundry detergent in them to save space.

On the way back I decided to declare that I had three times the beer allowed and he waved me through. Guess that unit was only after folks that have enough to sell. But don't count on it.

Be honest, and remember they are subject to their laws, not ours. By entering you by default will have to abide their laws until you leave THEIR country. It's not a hassle, unless we make it one. Claiming US rights is like a person entering the US and expecting us in our country, to abide by his country's customs. Now that would make even the most tolerant American angry. But for some reason, in living and traveling all over the world, we keep doing that to others. Our embassies try to protect us from harm abroad, not immunity from adherence to their laws. The Canadians are like nice Americans because they are Americans too, right?

Enjoy!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 4 weeks later...

Speaking of firearms... does anyone know if you can bring one into Canada? If so, is there paperwork? If not, what do you all do if you own one and want to travel up into Canada? Thanks everyone.

MimiRaul

Not RVing yet... in a few years

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list" ~ Susan Sontag

These link may prove helpful and informative:

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/canada.html

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/information/visit/index-eng.htm

http://www.canada.ca/en/gov/dept/index.html

Everything a visitor entering and living in Canada should know is contained on those websites.

We've been to Canada three times, attempting to deceive the border agents is foolish, and may be quite expensive. Our last trip was with a caravan. One of the rig owners lied about the amount of alcohol he carried. All alcohol was confiscated, he had to go inside and pay a fine + taxes on the stuff. Meantime his MH and towed were searched for anything else in violation, which took about an hour.

If you are the unlucky 100th vehicle entering the U.S.A, they get searched automatically, according to a U.S Border Patrol agent at the CA-AK border crossing.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Speaking of firearms... does anyone know if you can bring one into Canada? If so, is there paperwork? If not, what do you all do if you own one and want to travel up into Canada? Thanks everyone.

Long guns with permits can be taken into Canada, but no hand guns at all.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

With the current exchange rate of $1 US = $1.30 CAD Canada is almost becoming a bargain! On PEI we're able to buy fresh mussels for as little as $1/lb which means the "real" price to us is about 70 cents. You can't do much better than that! With a 30% discount rate lots of food items have become quite economical. Even non-food items subject to HST (excise tax) aren't so expensive when you can discount them by that much.

Sandie & Joel

WiFiRanger Ambassador

I would not attempt to take a handgun into Canada. That would surely cause you trouble.

They can and will take your handgun and you will be fined. If you know where you are crossing back and it is the same as where

you went over you can leave it at a gun shop in the US. Someone once told me that you can also leave it at a police station in the US before you cross but

that was just what someone said. Good Luck

Archived