Battery Charging ?

tyates007

On my previous truck I was able to use one charger, a Battery Minder, to keep my bank of 4 batteries charged and ready to go when I was. These batteries were run in parallel with all negative post connected by one strap and all positive post 1 strap. I would hook positive clamp of charger to one end of bank and negative to other end and charge away.

On my current project, Kenworth T2000, the 4 batteries are in what looks like 2 separate banks. There are 2 positive cables and 2 negative cables coming into the battery box. When I look at it I have 2 batteries in parallel on left side and 2 more on right side. Is there a way to maintain these with 1 charger or will I need to handle as 2 separate banks?

I want to set something up as these are much less accessible than the Volvo batteries. I have to remove the fairing to get to the box. On my old Volvo I just opened the door above the top step.

Here is a photo where you can kind of see the set up. pFDJS4tl.jpg

On my T2000, I have three batteries in my bank, but they are set up similar to yours. Two batteries on one side and one battery alone. They sort of tie together, but I never really put any time into figuring out exactly how they were wired together. I had a three bank charger (single charger capable of charging three separate batteries), so I installed that in my truck. I hooked one bank up to each of the three individual batteries. The charger plug is run to an external plug on the back of the cab. I plug an extension cord into that plug to run the charger. It has worked very well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks Chad. Any chance you could get me the name of the charger you use? You leave all batteries hooked up in truck while charging I assume?

I linked the charger I use in my original post. It is a NOCO Gen 3 30 amp charger (10 amps per bank). I also have a Battery Tender 4 bank battery charger that I have sitting in my fifth wheel. They both work well.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

The NOCO has been good so far. I originally went with it because it is waterproof and I was thinking of mounting it in the open spot in my battery tray where the 4th battery would normally be. I ended up mounting it in the cab behind the drivers seat and running the charge leads through the floor to the battery tray so the waterproof part ended up not being a factor.

event.png    

With the NOCO charger when it refers to banks does that mean multiple battery banks? I will call them Monday but since I have 2 banks with 2 batteries per bank in parallel I am wondering if I need to get the charger for 4 separate batteries or if the 2 bank charger will work. All the batteries were put in at the same time.

In the end, I will bet $$$ to donuts, that you have 1 effective battery bank. The alternator has to charge all the batteries on the truck, unless your holding back some information. If the alternator is the only charge source, then all the batteries have to have 2 common connection points. The first is the truck frame, the second is the alternator output stud. The common positive point is probably the starter hot connection. If you insist on a multi-bank charger, get a 2 bank unit. We use a 150 watt solar panel array, with the charge controller output tied to the back of the boosting connection refered above. This is what you're looking for, when people talk about these:

chassis-wheel_31.jpg

On the back-side is a threaded bolt connection, that I used with an appropriate ring terminal, to tie into the truck power system.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On my previous truck I was able to use one charger, a Battery Minder, to keep my bank of 4 batteries charged and ready to go when I was. These batteries were run in parallel with all negative post connected by one strap and all positive post 1 strap. I would hook positive clamp of charger to one end of bank and negative to other end and charge away.

On my current project, Kenworth T2000, the 4 batteries are in what looks like 2 separate banks. There are 2 positive cables and 2 negative cables coming into the battery box. When I look at it I have 2 batteries in parallel on left side and 2 more on right side. Is there a way to maintain these with 1 charger or will I need to handle as 2 separate banks?

I want to set something up as these are much less accessible than the Volvo batteries. I have to remove the fairing to get to the box. On my old Volvo I just opened the door above the top step.

Here is a photo where you can kind of see the set up. pFDJS4tl.jpg

Most of the time the Pos cables run to the starter and combined there. If I were you I would hook up a charger on one of the sets of batteries and then check the voltage on the other set. If they are the same they are connected together and you would only need a single bank charger. They must be combined so the alternator can charge the two sets.

Edit, I posted the same time as Darryl&Rita. So after reading there post I would say X2.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

Thx. That makes sense that they would be ties together. Appreciate all the input. I do have the post at the back of the cab which would be a very easy place to connect with standard clips. I will trace the cables when I get it back next week. In for service now in preparation for the WCR.

The way I understand the difference in the NOCO 2 bank and 4 bank is output voltage, 10amps per bank. So if you want 40a output then get the 4 bank but 20a should be way more than enough. The 4 bank charger sounds nice but all 4 of my batteries are connected by one big buss bar....ie: one BIG battery.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Those are the Julian aftermarket/Freightliner/Sterling interconnects that KW never really used. So someone has rearranged things in your battery box. Probably should still meter it out to be sure it is still like the other T2's.

Ours has 4 cables, positives commoned at the starter post.I think Scrap was referring to the jumper bars on your batteries,as we have cable jumpers.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived