Looking to upgrade to a bigger truck

Toddleti

Take a look HERE.

I'm happy to answer questions if you have them - either here or via email (my email isin my profile).

You might also find this video on towing interesting.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Toddleti, If you stick to the default forum font it will be easier for others to read your posts, save any changes to highlight specific text and be sparing in using it as some will be likely to have problems reading it. It seems odd to say that but the forum software displays text differently on different computers and what looks better to you may be unreadable for others. If you have a problem reading the text as you type try adjusting your local browser settings to see if that helps.

We bought a pre-built MDT many years ago when they were more popular and were pretty happy with it. The Allison 3000 automatic transmission was a big plus over what was available in HD pickups as were the bigger brakes, the cost, ride and power to weight ratio were a bit disappointing though. I've seen a Freightliner M2 (?) mentioned that has better power and ride than the usual MDT.

Today I'd really give the HDT trucks a good look, price, performance and ride are all attractive and the size isn't all that different.

There were a few folks posting here that made ready-built MDTs, Wayland Long was one of them if I recall correctly. Digging back through older posts may turn up other folks still selling these.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

We have bought two trucks from Wayland Long at 2L Custom trucks and have been very happy with the trucks. If you want a new MDT he can build you a nice Freightliner M2 106. If you need big power for a heavy trailer I recommend the M2 112 with the DD 13 engine. Wayland built us a really nice one, I believe there are some pix of it on his website. One word of caution these things are not cheap but will likely outlast three class 3 pickups and do the job much easier and safer. If budgetary constraints are an issue then a used HDT with a conversion bed will be cheaper. RV Haulers recommended in Jack's post (#4) offers services to procure and build such a truck. Good luck with your search, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

The club offers a limited number of lifetime memberships from time to time, How many and how often is directly related to how many people bug the board members about wanting one.

The M2 112 and Detroit Diesel 13 liter engine is going to give you all the power you need, far better than the usual MDT engine. I'm not sure what transmissions are available but one of the latest generation computer shifted manuals would be my choice versus an automatic. The HDT forum is the place to go for autoshift transmission information.

DD 13 info: https://www.demanddetroit.com/engines/dd13/

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Our M2 112/DD 13 has the Allison 4000 six speed tranny with a 3.91 rear. 1500 rpm at 62 mph and 7.5 mpg with 42K combined weight. Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

Another M2-112 with a DD13 user here. 1650 lb-ft of torque just like a HDT but the size of a MDT. A 6 speed Alison 4000 is a quick shifting, bullet proof tranny that gets up to speed in a hurry compared to an automated manual in the HDT's. To each there own but slow speed backing and maneuvering are a LOT easier with a true auto compared to the automated manuals....

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

To each there own but slow speed backing and maneuvering are a LOT easier with a true auto compared to the automated manuals....

Just for completeness: That is not true of a transmission like the IShift or the new generation of Ultrashift. And I suspect it is not true of the proprietary Freightliner automated trans.

See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com

Another Very satisfied 2L Custom truck owner here. Wayland is all Class! He can and will build you anything you want and with quality!

http://ramblingrvrat.blogspot.com/?m=1

GOD Bless America!

GOD Bless Texas!

GOD Bless All of our Troops!

"CHARACTER is doing the right thing when no one is looking"

'09 International Durastar 4400 LP Customized by 2L Custom Trucks

'20 DRV Mobile Suites 40KSSB4, '10 H-D FLHRC Road King Classic, '09 Honda Rebel AmeriDeck M/C Loader in Truck Garage, Polaris RZR 570 EPS 10 - 320W Solar Panels, 4- Simpliphi 3.8 kWh 151A Lithium batteries, Victron Multiplus 3000W inverters, Victron 250/70 Charge Controllers, Progressive hardwired 50 AMP EMS, Class of 2012!

1221594356_ProfilePic.jpg.9b4d57a43f182efadbcaf4db7556bb2e.jpg

When deciding on what type of truck to go with you have to consider your situation. When we had our two boys traveling with us the M2-106 Freightliner Sport Chassis was a great truck and suited our needs better. Now that they are no longer traveling with us the HDT is a better option for us. We haul a Smart Car that my DW loves to drive when we get to locations and I have two motorcycles that I enjoy. Also, when we get to a destination now we can go exploring the area and leave the trailer and use the truck (RV hauler) to sleep in if need be. It has table-work station setup, two beds,fridge, sink, webasto heater,inverter,microwave,in-motion satellite tv and even a porta-potty. I really loved the MDT when we had it. If you go that route I would only go M2-112 with the larger engines. JMHO. The M2-112 FLSC or Sport Trucks and a new HDT truck spec with all options above are very close in price. It just has to work for you and your needs and wants. :)

As to the Allison to automated manual backing comment above. My last truck was a FLSC with a six speed Allison transmission and I now have a 12 speed (Volvo i-shift) automated manual and find both transmission have no problem's backing up. The Allison is quicker shifting which in my case doesn't make much difference since I'm usually on the highway anyway and the automated manual only usually uses 4 or 5 out of 12 gears to get to highway speed anyway. I do get better mileage with the new truck and automated manual transmission. Best of luck with your quest for a larger truck.

Rick,

You and Jack have both made that comment about the newer transmissions so I need to go check them out. The older 3 pedal ones that I am familiar with often jerked bad when slowly backing while getting on/off the throttle. The wife and I are still trying to figure out whether to keep the M2-112 we have or go the HDT route and add a Smart car for local trips. Right now the dogs love the back of the M2 after we pulled the rear seat out and I don't how they will transition into the space on the HDT or how the wife will like a Smart cart.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I have never driven a three pedal A/M transmission (only a two pedal) so have nothing to compare to except the Allison transmission I had before this. It seems to work very well and is as smooth hooking up the trailer as the Allison was. I also like the two reverse gears available in the i-shift A/M. The Volvo 780's / 730's have large sleepers and quite a bit of floor space behind the seats so the dogs would seem to have room to travel in comfort.

We travel with a dog and she loves to lay/sit on the lower dinette bed (made into the bed) and look out the side windows or forward. There is LOTS of space back there, too.

As to backing a three pedal autoshift....I have had no issue with that as long as you properly feather the clutch "as needed", for hooking up, approaching docks, etc. But the newer automated trans seem to have those issues covered. I KNOW the I Shift does.

Like Rick, we really like the extra space and conveniences of the HDT. We use the microwave, coffee maker, fridge, etc. And taking the truck for a day or week is very "livable" and convenient. But it does depend on your needs. Some people are better serviced with the newer MDTs. But, like Rick, I also recommend the 112 if you are hauling heavy. I can't imagine pulling my trailer with a 106.

www.jackdanmayer.com

Another Very satisfied 2L Custom truck owner here. Wayland is all Class! He can and will build you anything you want and with quality!

You might dig a bit deeper into the statement above. There are some VERY dissatisfied 2L customers. When building my truck I had the feeling that Wayland was a snake oil salesman. If he had something already, he tried to convince you it was the exact thing you needed. If you wanted something special....oh that was a different story. And I am not the only one. I am SO happy that I shopped around and that I went elsewhere.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived