Question for the experts

Brad & Jacolyn

Good Afternoon,

I left the valley on the 1st of May and the Volvo wasn't pulling like I thought she should. She was fine on the flats and downhill but when we started uphill she did not seem to have any power. The engine sounds fine, no sputters or anything just slows way down on the uphills. I have added cetane booster and I changed the fuel filter. The Davco only has a couple of inches in it. There is still 125 gallons in the tanks and I wanted to burn them down lower before adding any more in case the fuel is the problem.

As we were driving today and it was getting slower and slower on the uphills and I thought maybe the air filter was plugged. So when we pulled into the campground tonight I opened the hood and when I went to pull the filter I noticed that the end cap on the air cleaner had 3 stripped out screws and the cap was popped out in the bottom and sucking in air. I pulled the cap and used compressed air to clean the filter and have put everything back together. I used tooth picks in the stripped holes and everything is tight now. Tomorrow I'll unhook and take a test drive and hopes things are fixed.

My question is can to much air getting into the system cause the power loss problem? Maybe mess up a sensor or something?

More info for you:

1) The turbo would not get over 10.

2) I have no faults showing in the diagnostics.

If this does not correct my problem does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try.

Thanks

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I don't know about Volvo, but I'm pretty sure my Freighliner wouldn't be effected by that. And leaks after the turbo would certainly cause you to lose power. But I don't think on the air filter side it should. I sure hope that was your problem though.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

Check all the silicone boots going from the turbo to intercooler, and intercooler to the intake manifold. If one has split then your not getting boost into the engine. You can also have the system pressure checked and examined for leaks.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I have to agree though I don't have a Volvo. First thing is check the boots and the clamps on the boots for tightness as if they are loose can leak from that area as well. Good luck, :)

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Brad,

I had a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out to be a boost pressure sensor. I don't have a boost gauge, but with no input to the engine computer, it would not give any boost. Fortunately, it was an inexpensive and easy fix.

Steve

Steve & Gail

2000 Volvo VNL660 Autoshift Detroit 60 12.7 "Semi Crazy"

2016 smart "Lil Crazy"

2018 Space Craft 48' TT "The Nut House"

KJ4YGY & KK4CTE

Volvo w SpaceCraft 1024.jpg

The guys, as usual, are on top of it. Those are the two things I'd say right off....loose hose on the turbo/broken clamp, etc. Or a bad boost sensor. I'd focus on the hoses, since that is the easiest fix and most likely fault, from what I have seen in the past. You have to look at them really closely, since you can miss a crack pretty easily.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The fuel filter I put in is a Fleet guard.

This morning I climbed all over the engine and tightened everything that I can find. Found some clamps that needed 1/4 turn and one that needed a full turn. Everything is tight. The test drive was about the same but I have not towed yet. I checked the boots and can see nothing wrong. Everything sounds good and I cannot hear an leak but that may not mean anything. I tow again tomorrow.

Now I have a couple of questions that are probably silly but since I don't know I'll ask.

1) I had the exhaust manifold replaced in Houston in Nov, 2014 and that stopped my exhaust leak and smell in the cab. Everything was working fine when I pulled into Ratama in Dec and it only moved to go to the golf course a few times. When we left and headed north I noticed the problem and it did not improve. Is there anything mechanical in the system that could be stuck and causing the problem?

2) The boost sensor was mentioned. Where is that located and is it something I can change myself?

Thanks for the help guys.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

RandyA had a thread recently about changing the boost sensor.

I went to find that thread and it has this video on how to change it.

Looks easy enough...and the video has a link to buy "their" brand for only $149

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Howdy Brad,

I go along with checking your clamps and hoses, when the boost sensor failed on my Freightliner, I had NO boost at all.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

The fuel filter I put in is a Fleet guard.

This morning I climbed all over the engine and tightened everything that I can find. Found some clamps that needed 1/4 turn and one that needed a full turn. Everything is tight. The test drive was about the same but I have not towed yet. I checked the boots and can see nothing wrong. Everything sounds good and I cannot hear an leak but that may not mean anything. I tow again tomorrow.

Now I have a couple of questions that are probably silly but since I don't know I'll ask.

1) I had the exhaust manifold replaced in Houston in Nov, 2014 and that stopped my exhaust leak and smell in the cab. Everything was working fine when I pulled into Ratama in Dec and it only moved to go to the golf course a few times. When we left and headed north I noticed the problem and it did not improve. Is there anything mechanical in the system that could be stuck and causing the problem?

2) The boost sensor was mentioned. Where is that located and is it something I can change myself?

Thanks for the help guys.

Brad

Howdy Brad,

I know NOTHING about the Volvo's, that said do you have a mechanical actuated waste-gate on the turbo, if so perhaps it is sticking. Just something else to look at.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Thanks Phil that does not appear to be to difficult. Now is there anyway to tell if the sensor is bad before replacing it? Or can it be cleaned instead? I went out and looked at mine and it is in the same place but the hose does not have to come off. One of the bolts holding it is broken off so I just removed the other one but the sensor does not seem to want to come out so I stopped and put the bolt back before I broke something. I'm in a rather desolate place right now so I took no chance on breaking it.

Mr. Cob I looked at the turbo and as near as I can tell without crawling under the truck again (I'm all showered and clean now) there is what looks like the end of an electric motor but I saw nothing that looked mechanical.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Thanks Phil that does not appear to be to difficult. Now is there anyway to tell if the sensor is bad before replacing it? Or can it be cleaned instead? I went out and looked at mine and it is in the same place but the hose does not have to come off. One of the bolts holding it is broken off so I just removed the other one but the sensor does not seem to want to come out so I stopped and put the bolt back before I broke something. I'm in a rather desolate place right now so I took no chance on breaking it.

Mr. Cob I looked at the turbo and as near as I can tell without crawling under the truck again (I'm all showered and clean now) there is what looks like the end of an electric motor but I saw nothing that looked mechanical.

Brad

If the one bolt is broke this maybe the cause of your problem/leak. I sure would in my mind imagine it being the problem. <_<

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

I would add another vote for the Boost Sensor.

One other possible point would be the Fuel Overflow Valve.

Do you have a way to hook it up to PTT? (Computer with Diagnostic/Monitoring software)?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

I would add another vote for the Boost Sensor.

One other possible point would be the Fuel Overflow Valve.

Do you have a way to hook it up to PTT? (Computer with Diagnostic/Monitoring software)?

if hes coming to the west coast rally he does. i have PTT on my laptop and will be at the WCR next month... :-)

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

The sensor is very tight in the hole even with one bolt broke so I did not mess with it any more at this time. Traveling to Carlsbad NM. today and then on the Albuquerque NM. 2 days later. Then we will be sitting for 12 days. Hope to get things fixed then.

Can the sensor be tested before changing or do I just have to change it. I saw the video and it doesn't look hard just needed to sit long enough to do it. In a location that they don't have to pipe in the sunshine. I'm not at the end of the world yet but I can see it from here.

I'll keep you informed and keep the suggestions coming.

Brad

I'll be at the WCR if I can get over the mountains.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

I have now lost all boost indicating on the gauge. We are in Carlsbad, NM and head for Albq. tomorrow. It will be a long 265 miles with no boost but the Volvo dealer there has the boost sensor in stock and is holding it for me. I'll pick it up on Thursday or Friday and I hope all be good again. I miss my turbo.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Sure sounds like a defective boost sensor. Or possibly the wastegate stuck wide open? I can't imagine a Turbo completely giving up without shelling. I've used 1/8" air line to plumb a hard fitting into the intake manifold to a ordinary pressure gauge to test things out.

You can check the boost sensor, (its a 3 wire sensor)--I'm not sure if it will tell you a lot. I looked on Bruss's schematics, and found this:

post-9595-0-39407800-1431529406_thumb.jpg

Pin 1: (Green/wht) is power, probably 5 or 12V.

Pin 2: (grey) is the boost pressure. See below.

Pin 4: (Brown/wht) is ground.

I can't tell you readings for your sensor. But depending on the sensor it is a ratio of the source voltage. Usually the lower the pressure, the lower the voltage. A typical sensor might have a power source of 12V or 5V to produce a 0.5V-4V output. Some produce a 1-10V swing. Just a guess,but I bet your sensor should read 0.5V with just the key on, and increase toward 2-3V as the boost ramps up. Testing it is hard, other than checking the "off" voltage, cause how do you create boost?

The KEY is that it changes. If you can see a definite change >0.25V from key on-motor off to motor running a 1600rpm, you may wish to let a dealer check it out for other problems. A new sensor is a pretty cheap diagnostic, though!

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I have now lost all boost indicating on the gauge. We are in Carlsbad, NM and head for Albq. tomorrow. It will be a long 265 miles with no boost but the Volvo dealer there has the boost sensor in stock and is holding it for me. I'll pick it up on Thursday or Friday and I hope all be good again. I miss my turbo.

Brad

apparently the ECU will only throw a code if open or shorted but not for "wrong values"

The ECU supplies 5VDC to the sensor and the sensor returns the below values to the ECU.

Measurement points: EA22 (signal) — EA11 (ground)

Manifold Pressure Voltage

0 kPa (0 psi) 1.18 v

50 kPa (7 psi) 1.73 v

100 kPa (14.5 psi) 2.29 v

150 kPa (22 psi) 2.84 v

200 kPa (29 psi) 3.40 v

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

There you go. Thats what you should be reading on pin 2. (note: don't disconnect and try to use resistance to check most modern 3 wire sensors. Many have internal electronics, not just a resistive slider. The only sensors to use resistance on are the type where the sensor is just one wire to ground)

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

She is all fixed. It was the boost sensor and I changed it myself in about an hour. Thanks for the help guys.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Thanks Tyates007 but you could not possibly be any happier than I am. the rest of the trip should be much easier driving now.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

So, you will be hosting a boost sensor swap seminar in Hutch? And I just know that you will be using my truck for your demonstration, right old buddy?

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived