Question for the experts

Brad & Jacolyn

But Rocky, Brad and I have the same motor.....and I have a taser.....move outta the way :)

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Go ahead and get your sensors ordered. I'll be happy to SUPERVISE the installation while you guys obtain this valuable experience. It is not hard to do but the plastic covers can be a little hard on the back of your hands if you don't remove the hose in the video which I did not because my hose placement was just a bit different from the video.

It is a very good video and I watched it twice and just jumped in.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

SUPERVISE?? Heck, I divorced the last person that felt I needed supervision. I guess you can supervise Rocky........but you are really gonna help me put mine in, aren't ya?? I promise I won't tell anyone, ok??

2014 smart Fortwo

I still have my cruise control to install in smart! And a forward facing camera in the truck..... and a hitch camera for the truck! How come when you purchase these things, they don't self install?

Still battling a loss of strength in my right arm/shoulder. It will be tested again for two weeks on a project south of the border in about 3 weeks.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

So.......now that the boost sensor is fixed.........what are the proper voltmeter readings on Phils tazzzzeeeerrrrrr......

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Well, if you need a place to store that cruise control until you get around to installing it, I will be more than happy to install....er, I mean store it in my smart.

DT, the only time I was on the receiving end I didn't have a voltmeter...but I can tell you it's a lot.

male14-male-shock-stun-smiley-emoticon-0

2014 smart Fortwo

Which cruise did you get Rocky? I installed the 451 in my Smart. It is not difficult but the area is a bit cramped. And we know that you need supervision don't we? That is what Phil said and he wouldn't lie to me would he? Did you ever use the stuff I gave you to repair your overhead door?

Of course you both know that I will 'HELP' you if you need something done but it will have to wait until Hutch. I'm already west of Hutch and still going west. I hope not to get as busy as 'The old goat'.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Anyone that knows Phil, KNOWS that he REQUIRES supervision. Along with frequent Dr.Peppers. Like Rocky, I'm not married to they guy....so I'm happy to supervise him.... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I still have my cruise control to install in smart! And a forward facing camera in the truck..... and a hitch camera for the truck! How come when you purchase these things, they don't self install?

Still battling a loss of strength in my right arm/shoulder. It will be tested again for two weeks on a project south of the border in about 3 weeks.

Howdy Rocky,

Am I to "ASSUME" you will be giving a class on Smart Car cruise control installation, if so post up a part number so we can all order one and follow your lead, that way we have someone to blame when out cars go up in smoke. :wacko::lol: Seriously, I have been thinking of adding a cruise control to the Smart Car but FEAR playing with anything that involves wires and don't have a clue on where to order such a thing. :(

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

http://smartmadness.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=360

Here's one. I've ordered a number of items from there.

Howdy Doug,

Thanks for the link. Did you install it or have it done, does it work well?

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

http://smartmadness.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=360

Here's one. I've ordered a number of items from there.

That is the one, and that's the right place to order it from. Notice that the newer model has included a nice little feature:

"The newest version of this well know cruise control now comes with an adjustable speed booster module! This module helps to eliminates the lag that is caused by the smart car drive by wire system. The Speed Booster is a $300+ value and now comes built in with this unit. (Please note! The Speed Booster feature is a software feature that comes with this unit.)"

One of these days!!!!!! I would hope that I'm not having to give the class on installing mine! We'll see.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

Howdy Doug,

Thanks for the link. Did you install it or have it done, does it work well?

Dave

I had the one in my car added before I brought it home. This was 6 years ago. The smart dealer had things set up with a nearby Car Toys to do the installation.

I use it pretty much every time I get on the interstate. It holds at a very steady speed. It will even kick down a gear to get the car back up to speed on an upgrade.

Whenever I want information about how to do something or troubleshoot I go look at

www.smartcarofamerica.com

Lots of information and been-there, done-that stuff.

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

That looks like the one I installed in my Smart. It is not difficult to do if you take your time and FOLLOW the instructions. Also when you are in the cramped footwell check, double check and then triple check the wire connections as you tighten up the LITTLE zip tie inside the box. If you do that there should be no problems installing it. About 1 - 1 1/2 hours max.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

IMO, the MCD with the fly by wire corrections is worth it JUST for the deletion of the "lag" in the throttle. That lag is dangerous, IMO.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Archived