Alternator Rebuild Kit

Mastercraft

I noticed on another thread an alternator failure mentioned. Are there kits available so if one was so inclined they could do a roadside rebuild?

A kit with new brushes and springs, new voltage regulator, new diodes, new front and rear bearings.

If the windings aren't burned up or shorted, a roadside rebuild would not be a problem.

If a kit like this can be had or collected, I could see carrying one to avoid a high irritation situation.

With cars and light trucks, I go to the Checker/Orielly/Napa/etc and they push the lifetime warranty re-build unit for $200+ and claim they don't have any rebuild parts.......unit I have them pull out the paper catalog and check.....sure enough, brushes $8, rear bearing $6, front bearing $12, voltage regulator, $12 ....and oh, here is a whole kit with everything except the rear bearing for $20. Order the stuff and it's there in like two days. Maybe 1/2hr of 45 minutes on the bench to install the parts, no special tools except a couple tooth picks to hold the brushes while I mate up the front and rear case.

thanks

Rich

2009 Volvo 780 D16 535hp 1850 ft-lbs I shift 3.36

Thermo King Tripac APU

DIY Bed and Frame Extension

ET Hitch, Stellar EC2000, EcoGen 6K

2002 F350 CC Dually w/ Lance 1181

2012 Mini Cooper S

2007 Teton Royal Freedom

" The only place you will find success before work is the dictionary "

Truck 100K.jpg

I'm not aware of an off the shelf rebuild kit that would provide everything you need for a complete rebuild...if you're talking about a 39MT. Solenoids alone are over $80, I think. You can try these folks:

http://www.nationsstarteralternator.com/39MT-HEAVY-DUTY-TRUCK-STARTERS-s/432.htm

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I'm one of the recent alternator replacements. Ours is a unique situation though, in that it was tied to another DC current generator system that had a stand alone regulator. The system was called Ample Power and there are rebuild kits available for the truck engine alternator, but I still needed to find a regulator that the Volvo electrical system liked. It was easier to install a new Delco-Remey like the truck was originally spec'd with.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I rebuilt my alternator mainly because the bearing was going bad. An alternator for mine was $350-400 so I decided to rebuild it myself. $25 for the bearings and brushes and it was done in an hour or so. I needed to press the bearing in and out though so I doubt you could do it on the side of the road.

You need to find your local "AC Delco" or "auto electric" repair place. I have a little hole-in-the-wall place near me that I think carries every alternator and starter part ever made and can hand most of them to you without looking them up! Rebuilding an alternator (unless there is a major failure) is actually pretty easy and cheap.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

I'm one of the recent alternator replacements. Ours is a unique situation though, in that it was tied to another DC current generator system that had a stand alone regulator. The system was called Ample Power .......

Ample Power offers lots of choices in this arena. I've used their products for many years - probably going back into the 90's. If you are looking for a very good power augmentation system take a look at their products. They also have a lot of educational stuff on their website.

It is pretty common for work trucks, ambulances, some police vehicles, etc to generate power from their alternators. Note the plural. But this is not just an alternator alone - there ALWAYS has to be additional products to do it right. It is not cheap to do it right....but it works well when done.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I too have rebuilt alternators and it is surprisingly inexpensive. I'm thinking that some spare parts for my DP might be a good idea....thanks for the thought.

<p>....JIM and LINDA......2001 American Eagle 40 '.towing a GMC Sierra 1500 4X4 with RZR in the rear. 1999 JEEP Cherokee that we tow as well.

IT IS A CONTENTED MAN WHO CAN APPRECIATE THE SCENERY ALONG A DETOUR.

while rebuilding alternators doesnt bother me , *I* would rather NOT do it on the side of the road...

i carry a spare alternator in my spare parts toolbox of parts on the truck.

Leece-Neville on the truck , the same in the box of spare parts.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Call me strange, but new, not rebuilt or reman goes on my tractor. Alternators usually give plenty of warning before they die, at least on HD trucks. 500 -600k miles and a new one goes on, last one was $450 new Delco 160 amp pad mount.

No one in this business should use a business model that includes a "roadside demonstration" for anything. Unscheduled maintenance, or what I refer to as setting a trap for yourself to spring at the least opportune moment is to be avoided.

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

No one in this business should use a business model that includes a "roadside demonstration" for anything. Unscheduled maintenance, or what I refer to as setting a trap for yourself to spring at the least opportune moment is to be avoided.

Yes, which is why I'm a strong advocate of preemptive replacement of certain parts. Even with the low miles we run. Personally, I try to AVOID roadside "maintenance".

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Personally, I try to AVOID roadside "maintenance".

I'm with Jack on this, although it doesn't always go as planned. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thankful for my Coach Net membership.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years