HDT to private truck or MH in Alberta, Canada

Asross72

Anyone have experience converting over to a private truck or MH in Alberta, Canada, in regard to registration and insurance? Looked on the resource site, but only see entries for the states. Dropped into local registry for a quick chat, but they looked like a deer in the headlights.

Thanks, Alan

2007 Volvo 880

2014 Palomino Sabre 36qbok

Yes I did

I Imported mine from Arizona and after the inspections and insurance issues it was simple. Just a pickup on steroids!!!

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Thanks Nigel. I have spoken to Gregg a few times in the past. He puts out an excellent product. Will most likely be talking to him again soon.

Shallow Draft, did you register it as a private truck?

Current answers from local registry and insurance agent are that its easy to register as a private truck, then have to insure as commercial.

Our current rig is a FL60 that was already registered as a MH when I bought it, insured as a MH.

2007 Volvo 880

I brought my 730 from Fargo a couple of years ago, went thru the Federal and Provincial inspections then registered it as a truck. Took in title, inspections info. let them know it is for pulling an rv. No problem, same here in BC. ICBC will register it as a truck not tractor. Only BC Ferries has a problem and I got that fixed as well.

Went to the registries outfit on Center st in Calgary, same building as Palmer Salmond.

Let me know if you need insurance.

Roger

On edit, trucks are not allowed into Canada after they have been modified. You have to bring it in stock, get it inspected by Feds and provincial then do mods, singling and deck etc. There are a couple of exceptions like Wil-ro and Stalick on the MDT's and maybe some HDT's as well but can't remember specifics any more.

I have mine registered as a motorhome. I had to do a little bit of explaining since it said truck on the NVIS that comes with a new truck. Being a two axle vehicle made it much easier. Also, explaining that we could sleep/cook/wash in the sink/ watch TV and plug in 120 volt accessories like a coffee pot they finally gave in. Also, I had a copy of a Volvo VN series motorhome registration from Gregg at RV haulers and said there had been many trucks registered like this in Alberta already.

I am also registered in Alberta as a MH. I had it originally converted to MH status while living in Nova Scotia. When I changed reg to Alberta, they pulled up the vin #. it showed that it was a KW motorhome.

However, it is easier I believe to just register as a private truck in AB. Alberta is probably the most HDT friendly province in Canada

2000 W900L KW
Singled, C15 CAT 475 HP 18 sp, 3:36 rear, power locker,ET Hitch,,22.5 rubber

2011 Excel 36CFE Limited

photo2_zpse35f7a55.jpg

You won't get insurance with Allstate or Grey power. Allstate cancelled my insurance halfway thru a trip. Private truck is the way I went. The only question that ever comes up is GVW? I don't have a n answer to that but it hasn't caused me a problem yet, other than BC Ferries.

BC doesn't seem to be a problem. All I need is a heavy trailer endorsement, show the guy how I drive and park it etc.

It depends on the cashier, my 4700 and trailer were no issue either. The Volvo this last trip was, I had to go to her supervisor for a second opinion which went in my favor. She wanted to charge commercial rates. Since got a letter from BC Ferries head office stating my rig is not commercial.

They did go by length and height.

Now I remember, this is one of the situations where gvw was asked for and I didn't know.

I showed her registration as well as insurance. she didn't care. In her mind I was commercial.

Anyone have experience converting over to a private truck or MH in Alberta, Canada, in regard to registration and insurance? Looked on the resource site, but only see entries for the states. Dropped into local registry for a quick chat, but they looked like a deer in the headlights.

Thanks, Alan

In BC it was easy ... as other have said ... it is registered the same as my F350. Took the agent a bit to find the right person at ICBC who could figure it out ... but there was no issues. What I have found is the weight really has impact on the amount of insurance you pay. I was pretty straight with them about the total weight with the trailer - and she 'rolled her eyes'. If other have a different experience would love to hear it.

C

Curt/Sarah and the Boyz

2004 VNL780 (VED12-465)

Keystone Raptor 361LEV

ET Hitch

Registered as a Private Truck in Alberta. Insured through Wawanesa, COMMERCIAL division. Runs around $700 per year. Had to fill out a form they supplied, reporting value of CARGO hauled, miles traveled per year, border crossings per year, percentage of time on each side of the border, etc. Answered all questions honestly, and received a call from head office. Staff there wanted to make sure this was the best match for us. Could swap registration over to MH, but wouldn't save anything on plates. Insurance wouldn't change much, either way, according to head office.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Registered as a Private Truck in Alberta. Insured through Wawanesa, COMMERCIAL division. Runs around $700 per year. Had to fill out a form they supplied, reporting value of CARGO hauled, miles traveled per year, border crossings per year, percentage of time on each side of the border, etc. Answered all questions honestly, and received a call from head office. Staff there wanted to make sure this was the best match for us. Could swap registration over to MH, but wouldn't save anything on plates. Insurance wouldn't change much, either way, according to head office.

Interesting I have been with Wawanesa since I insured my 1st motorcycle at 14 and the cheapest I could get was around $1500.00

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

• 3 weeks later...

Last time I went to the island with my MDT and current trailer they charged me by the foot which was 65ft. That cost $742.00 return.

Me too. No fight over commercial at all.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

George - you in-country, or still over there?

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I brought my 730 from Fargo a couple of years ago, went thru the Federal and Provincial inspections then registered it as a truck. Took in title, inspections info. let them know it is for pulling an rv. No problem, same here in BC. ICBC will register it as a truck not tractor. Only BC Ferries has a problem and I got that fixed as well.

Went to the registries outfit on Center st in Calgary, same building as Palmer Salmond.

Let me know if you need insurance.

Roger

On edit, trucks are not allowed into Canada after they have been modified. You have to bring it in stock, get it inspected by Feds and provincial then do mods, singling and deck etc. There are a couple of exceptions like Wil-ro and Stalick on the MDT's and maybe some HDT's as well but can't remember specifics any more.

Thanks for that info Roger, I had no idea.

Thanks for all the info everyone, the FL60 is sold, on the hunt for an HDT.

I had no idea there was so many HDT's up this way. Maybe we need a Canadian HDT Rally.

2007 Volvo 880

No problem, if you are on the prowl for a truck, Google up RDO Trucks then click on Inventory then scroll bar down to Volvo. My 2009 was $58k in 2012, D13 229 wb, 485 I shift, 326 rear end...I think. You definitely want the I shift. Pulling thru the Rocks, mileage is just under 9 mpg US gallons , loaded I'm 42k lbs. I go over abandoned scales to weigh it. Price of truck is based on mileage and year. Mine was one of 61 returning grainhaulers. I asked John Stearns to find me the pick of the litter. It has just over 500k, all tests came out good. Front tires were down to 50% so I had him put 2 new Michelin steers on front at his cost. He went along with it. Feds and provincial will check tires for tread. Must have at least 50%, may as well get them at RDO's cost.

Bring it back stock, no changes, run it thru feds and Provincial inspections then do mods. Info re conforming to Canadian codes is on the door post I think. Make sure you have that or it won't be allowed up here.

Some people are concerned about it being a smokers truck but by the time RDO got thru with the cleanup and prep, I could not then nor can I now detect smoke.

I went with Herrin for the deck. Just under 2000 miles to Livingston Texas each way from Calgary. At the time he was the only one I could find with the experience to do the Smart deck. Things have changed, Gregg would be the go to guy for decks now, I think. 2 years ago he wasn't doing some of what he does now. For that and other reasons things didn't work out, hence Herrin. FYI, my deck was $18k and change US plus 1k at the Border plus 200 gallons of diesel each way.

I would go with better compartment door latches and wider compartment for Smart ramps.

Roger

Archived