HDT to private truck or MH in Alberta, Canada

Asross72

George - you in-country, or still over there?

Still over here, but not sure for how much longer. I got caught when Weatherford axed 5000 people. lol

I would kind of like to stay, so hunting jobs currently.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

• 3 weeks later...

Well, looking all around, lots of very nice trucks, but it seems for an equivalent truck, prices are much higher in the states. That's before you even consider the exchange rate. Didn't think there would be that much difference.

2007 Volvo 880

2014 Palomino Sabre 36qbok

I don't think any. likely the intended use of the truck determines the cost of insurance.

in Alberta you drive a singled HDT with a class 5 and air brake endorsement but tandem requires a class 3

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

I doubt it. As I said it Is the intended use but check with an insurance agent. is a 3 axel mh more to insure than a 2 axel?

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

When I went to register my motorcoach in Alberta (unit came from Saskatchewan) they put my VIN in the system and it came back as a Freightliner truck (as in pick up truck) in the national database. I told her it was actually a motorhome , so she gave me the form for out-of-province RV inspection, which has to done on any used vehicle never before registered in Alberta, (finding a facility that could perform the inspection in a timely manner was fun, many can do RV's but few can do a RV with air brakes), and once that was completed she changed the description to motorhome and added the coaches serial number on the computer, didn't even look at the unit to verify. No more hassle than registering a pick up.

Mine is registered as a motor home. My agent told me it was cheaper to go motor home then private truck.

registered as a motorhome or insured as a motorhome or both. plates are cheap either way, it is insurance that can vary greatly depending on the company and usage.

• 3 months later...
Guest THE TRAILERKING

i know bringing one up from the States to Saskatchewan is no big deal as long as fits the criteria. I know of people bringing up professional built brands such as Renegade with no issues. I don't think there would be a problem with a private built/modified either as long as done correctly(definitely check with RIV before purchasing). I remember a family in Sask. had a custom built/stretched Suburban to have for their large family of kiddies. The mod's. where done by a professional company but the thing sat for 1-2 years at the North Portal border because they wouldn't let it in. This thing looked like a factory made unit. After a lot of deliberating/fighting/argueing, they let it in(Brad Wall had a bit to do with that). I know to register an HDT up in Sask. as an RV, SGI requires it to have at least (3)three RV related appliances/fixtures to comply. Such as toilet/washroom, stove, furnace, bed, fridge, etc.

Big issue with bringing 1 North is modifications. It's easy to import a completely stock vehicle, and do the required/desired modifications in Canada, but a lot harder to import modified vehicles.

Quote "Please note: vehicles that have been modified from their original state other than general repair or routine maintenance may not be eligible for importation into Canada. This also applies to vehicles belonging to Canadians that are modified outside of Canada."

The above was quoted from the Transport Canada website. It's important to note the "may not" in the above quote. It's possible, but harder, as members have found.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Archived