Mexican trucks

bigjim

I can't print a vefication as I did not note. Reading the news somewhere late on line I saw where they are about to open US highways for Mexican trucks nationwide in the US. They have been wanting to do this for some time due to one of out trade pacts and have had a "demonstration project" for some years that limit them to I think 100 miles of the border. Now that project has "proved" the effectiveness of this so the gates are opening. I don't know how this will affect us as RVr's and drivers but I am certain it will in some way or another.

This post is informational only for what it is worth so I won't advocate for one side or another.

If a Mexican driver brings a load into the US, do they have to deadhead back to Mexico or can they pick up a load for the return haul? If they can pick up a load, what keeps them from picking up a load and delivering to another US location and therefore competing with US drivers and companies? More importantly, how can it be enforced without accusations of racial profiling? i.e. asking all Mexican looking drivers to pull over for inspection of their licenses and manifests without requiring the same for all drivers? i.e. no more "green lighting" (bypassing) at weigh stations?

More importantly, how can it be enforced without accusations of racial profiling? i.e. asking all Mexican looking drivers to pull over for inspection of their licenses and manifests without requiring the same for all drivers?

Presumably, Mexican trucks would have Mexican license plates on them.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Unless they have a front plate, their plate cannot be seen with a video camera when passing through a weigh station bypass. Also, even if they have a Mexican front plate, it will take about three nanoseconds before they learn to pull their front plate until their return trip to Mexico.

Also I wonder if they can get a registration for the truck in some US State - just like a full time RV registration. (Dual register may not be allowed by US but I doubt if Mexico cares.)

Presumably, Mexican trucks would have Mexican license plates on them.

Who would have thought of that.....!!!

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Who would have thought of that.....!!!

The American Trucking Industry sure has looked at this through the eyes of the Mexican Drivers and how they can pull loads from US drivers. Maybe we ought to also!

Quote: "Like foreign airlines, Mexican truckers will be allowed to carry goods to and from destinations in the United States but not within the country. They must comply with American safety standards, and are subject to additional safeguards including electronic monitoring to ensure that they take regular breaks from driving. They also must pass drug screening and demonstrate an ability to speak English."

You had better believe that Mexican drivers will figure a way get around the rules. - The profits are too great compared to what they can make in Mexico. (~$0.32 per mile plus fuel & expenses)

and demonstrate an ability to speak English."

Good Luck with that one. I would easily say that 2 out of 3 truck drivers that come onto our rig site are of Mexican decent, and English is not their first language, probably not even in their top 3..... :o

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

It is estimated the 25% of the drivers on Texas Highways do not have insurance. No one how many are illegals and driving on the roads in USA without insurance or license. Canadian trucks have been on USA roads for almost twenty years. I am not worry about legal owned Mexican trucks and drivers on roads in the USA as long as they are not trucking illegal aliens, arms, or drugs.

Living the full time RV dream in a Holiday Rambler Motor home.

Our Travel Blog is http://rvroadriders.com

The American Trucking Industry sure has looked at this through the eyes of the Mexican Drivers and how they can pull loads from US drivers. Maybe we ought to also!

Quote: "Like foreign airlines, Mexican truckers will be allowed to carry goods to and from destinations in the United States but not within the country. They must comply with American safety standards, and are subject to additional safeguards including electronic monitoring to ensure that they take regular breaks from driving. They also must pass drug screening and demonstrate an ability to speak English."

You had better believe that Mexican drivers will figure a way get around the rules. - The profits are too great compared to what they can make in Mexico. (~$0.32 per mile plus fuel & expenses)

If DOT enforced the requirement to speak English, half the US truckers would be off the road. Years ago you had to take your test in English as a demonstration that you could read and speak the language now you can take the test in any number of languages.

According to the AP: – The U.S. Department of Transportation says it will soon allow Mexican trucking firms to apply for authorization to make long-haul cross-border runs, potentially ending a longstanding dispute. It says it expects the move to permanently end Mexico's on-again, off-again retaliatory tariffs on $2 billion in U.S. imports. The department said Friday that data from a three-year pilot program that ended in October "showed that companies from Mexico had violation, driver, and vehicle out-of-service rates that met the level of safety as American and Canadian-domiciled motor carriers."

...doesn't sound like a big deal ...only time will tell.

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

According to the AP: – The U.S. Department of Transportation says it will soon allow Mexican trucking firms to apply for authorization to make long-haul cross-border runs, potentially ending a longstanding dispute. It says it expects the move to permanently end Mexico's on-again, off-again retaliatory tariffs on $2 billion in U.S. imports. The department said Friday that data from a three-year pilot program that ended in October "showed that companies from Mexico had violation, driver, and vehicle out-of-service rates that met the level of safety as American and Canadian-domiciled motor carriers."

...doesn't sound like a big deal ...only time will tell.

Its not a big deal if the US will put enough DOT officers on the border to assure that the Mexican trucks will pass our safety standards .Burn ULSD and have all of the same operating expenses that US truckers have . The problem is that no one has the man power to do that . So I have literally seen the front wheels wobbling as they run down the road,with black smoke boiling out the stack ( if there was one on the truck) and tires that if found on a US truck, the truck would be put out of service on the spot. Plus my pet peeve when they hit another vehicle no insurance and they don't speak or understand English and the only recourse that the authorities have is to send them back home .

I do not wish to sound as though I am against Mexican truckers. I am not so long as if they are operating under the same rules that the US truckers operate under and from my experience that is just not the case.

With NAFTA we are letting Mexican trucks into the US but Mexico refuses HDTs entrance.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Oh dear! Mexican - Canadian. Canadian - Mexican. ??????

What's the difference if they comply with the regulations? Come to that matter what's the difference if any trucker doesn't comply with the regulations?

At the moment the trucking, (and railroad), industry is desperate for employees. Why not make it easier to get 'your' goods to 'you' in a timely fashion as everyone demands?

Sorry but I'll say it. Me thinks there is some racial discrimination going on here by 'some' folks. Please tell me I'm wrong. Please.

Now to put on my flack jacket!!!!!!!

regards

Sorry but I'll say it. Me thinks there is some racial discrimination going on here by 'some' folks. Please tell me I'm wrong. Please.

Nope - Purely economic and protectionism. A US Trucker can make about $50K/year in the current climate. If a dispatcher has 2 drivers begging for loads and only one load available, how long before he starts auctioning the load to the lowest bidder/driver. Throw Mexican Drivers in the mix that can only make far less at home in Mexico, and you have another assault on the middle class.

It's ok for Mexicans and other Latino's to come to the US, use our medical and social system, buy homes, own business, even if they are undocumented illegals.

BUT

An American cannot own property in Mexico, cannot own a business in Mexico, will get thrown in jail for crossing the border illegally or with a weapon (just ask the Marines), has to buy Mexican state insurance at the border to drive on their roads, and Mexico has no welfare for an American to fall back on in rough times...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Duffman I like the fact that you are upfront with the 'protectionism bit. OK an example. This is already going on now in the USA. It's not 'just' Canadian or Mexican companies/drivers. Have a close look at the ports in LA. An Australian trucking company, 'Toll', has moved in and is operating in such a way that is 'upsetting' the local trucking companies. Long story. So my question then becomes is what 'Toll' doing that is any different to what 'might' happen if Mexican drivers/companies use the USA roads?

I'm afraid that for better or worse, there is now a global economy. We may not like it but it's here. And here to stay.

IMHO it's all about regulations. Yeah government interference. But provided EVERYONE abides by the regulations then there 'should' be no issues.

Just make this thread about facts and please don't let me read discrimination into any posts. Please.

regards

Now to put on my flack jacket!!!!!!!

regards

I don't have anything against anyone ,I have good friends that are both Black and brown we all get along great.

I don't mind if Mexican trucks operate here so long as they meet the same rules as our truckers have to meet.

So its not discrimination by any since of the word, its fair competition with all having the same rules to play by.

I look at this the same way I do at immigration welcome to my country I ask only that you learn my language ( I would need to learn yours if I moved ) come to my country legally and work toward citizenship and don't hold rallies to protest things in your old country if you wish to protest go home to do so .

Don't worry about the flack jacket . It was a fair assumption.

I don't have anything against anyone ,I have good friends that are both Black and brown we all get along great.

I don't mind if Mexican trucks operate here so long as they meet the same rules as our truckers have to meet.

So its not discrimination by any since of the word, its fair competition with all having the same rules to play by.

I look at this the same way I do at immigration welcome to my country I ask only that you learn my language ( I would need to learn yours if I moved ) come to my country legally and work toward citizenship and don't hold rallies to protest things in your old country if you wish to protest go home to do so .

Don't worry about the flack jacket . It was a fair assumption.

So if they are willing to drive for $8/hr you have no problem with that?

What do you say to all the US truckers - Suck it up - It's a global economy and it's now your turn to be effectively off-shored?

Maybe let in Indian & Pakistani doctors that are willing to work for $15K/year in order to reduce healthcare costs?

So if they are willing to drive for $8/hr you have no problem with that?

What do you say to all the US truckers - Suck it up - It's a global economy and it's now your turn to be effectively off-shored?

Maybe let in Indian & Pakistani doctors that are willing to work for $15K/year in order to reduce healthcare costs?

Having driven a truck as an owner operator $8.00 an hour would have been a raise .

No I say offer something that the Mexican drivers can't like good customer service and the ability to get the fright hauled on time and looking the part of a pro driver and not a prison gang member. I see this every day

They cant work that way in the US because they have the same insurance as every one else and I'm not going to India or Pakistan for medical treatment.

As someone earlier said it is a global economy. So its just the way things are . A store owner in our town has no problem competing with Walmart because he is smart enough to offer things that Walmart can't . Like real help finding what you need, he also stocks things that Walmart does not .

So it can be done it just takes 1 a level playing field 2 good ole want to get it done attitude.

I don't want to get in a cow pie throwing contest so I hope that is not your intention .

My concern is how it might affect me as an RV'r. Plenty of Mexicans have the ablility to be great drivers and some are. I am concerned about the ability to guarantee the saftey of the trucks and drivers ability and proper insurance. I don't want them to have to pay me anything from their insurance or anyone else for that matter. In recent history there has already been incidents of the buses that are largely used for travel to Mexico and back and in some cases hired as transport for folks here in the US being poorly maintained. This has been a bigger issue than their drivers up to this point IMO. We have a big enough problem policing all the trucks and truckers on the road as it is without adding this into the mix without proper oversight. On a side note I wonder if any of the trucks will have to meet the same standards for vehicles and trailers we will have to deal with in Texas? Back to insurance, it is only a small portion of our Mexican friends that do drive totally illegally and if they have a serious accident they have run for the border to avoid accountability and there is no insurance so it is sure necessary for other drivers to have insurance to cover themselves in the event this happens. There is lot more about this that concerns me but it isn't proper for me to venture into that here.

Wasn't going to respond but there are just too many incorrect statements / posts. I travel Mexico in my current Motorhome & past 5er. I live on the border near Nogales one of the largest trucking ports in the USA.

Mexico truck drivers are as good drivers as any in the States. In fact in over 10,000 miles of RVing in Mexico, not once have I had a problem with a trucker. I cannot say that about the States. I have been ran into the traffic cones in Florida & Texas by USA truckers. When I have stayed in Pemex truckstops in Mexico, truckers will come over if I am outside and visit in ENGLISH. They enjoy practicing their ENGLISH skills. In most of Mexico you will find a large percentage of the population that can speak ENGLISH. Many trucks crossing the border are in the same condition as USA trucks with many being NEW. The current agents on the border are responsible for checking all paperwork. Near the border, Arizona DOT runs commerical inspections on a regular basis checking EVERYTHING.

You can own land / property, just not on the coastline or near the border. You can own and run a buisness but you cannot take away a job from a Mexican. Won't it be nice if our politicians protected us in the same way? Insurance, the truckers have to have it! Yes the Mexican tourist visitor does not always have it or is under insured, which is why I have a Uninsured & Underinsured rider on my insurance policy. If you don't think this occurs in the USA population you are greatly mistaken. AND the tourist is driving the same cars as here in the States including the upper end models.

Little story! Lost a hub on the triple axle 5er in Mexico. In minutes Mexican drivers alerted me and did so time & time again. Pulled over and tied the axle up for the rest of the trip. Traveled 800 miles thu Texas, New Mexico & Arizona. NOT once did a USA driver alert me I was missing a wheel. Another time had not installed extra fuel tank in tow vehicle and ran out of fuel in nowhere Mexico. Within minutes a local stops takes me to the little local village with all dirt streets and NO fuel station. Took me to the ONE local farmer that had a diesel tractor. The farmer took 5 gals out of his 50 gal drum charging nearly the same price per gal as Pemex. Local took me back to the rig and put the fuel in not expecting a cent. I gave him a good tip and we were on our way.

Give the hard working Mexicans a break, they are no more resposible for what goes on in the country as you and I are for what goes on in ours.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

mocroc, I an not necessarily surprised by by your experience but would not have been aware of that type of experience if you had not posted you first hand experience.

<_< Don't worry, when we get them here we will ruin 'em. :huh: I know I shouldn't but I have to agree about us having the same idea about protecting American jobs, provided of course that they will do the jobs and correctly and plenty will.

Archived