Mexican trucks

bigjim

With NAFTA we are letting Mexican trucks into the US but Mexico refuses HDTs entrance.

That is right. At all large border crossings they have drop lots where American-both Canadian and U.S. must drop the trailer so a Mexican driver can continue the route into Mexico.

Back in the early 90''s a Mexican truck driver backed across Dad's fence that separated his pasture from the ajoining truck stop. Dad's cattle got out-right past the drivers window, and got onto the 4-lane highway. Someone called 911, the responding officer tried for 1/2 an hour to communicate with the driver to no avail, no registration, license, insurance, etc. Only when a state policeman showed up and said he would confiscate the truck, did the Mexican driver begin to speak broken english.

Turned out Dad almost got arrested, after it was revealed the Mexican truck driver had no insurance. Maddest I ever saw him.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Our biggest worry when we lived on the border was safety related stuff, equipment, driver skills, driver hours in operation and insurance for when things went wrong.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Just heard a new items on this issue ...don't know who was talking, but he said one of the primary issues is "14yr old drivers who drive for 24hrs without sleep." ...that would be a safety issue for me!!

Paul (KE5LXU), former fulltimer, now sometimer...

'03 Winnebago Ultimate Advantage 40E

'05 Honda Odyssey

Escapees, FMCA, WIT, SMART

http://www.pjrider.com

Maybe let in Indian & Pakistani doctors that are willing to work for $15K/year in order to reduce healthcare costs?

Works for me. You know that a lot of RVers cross the border for cheap dental/heath care, right?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Maybe it will and maybe it won't but it is nice to know what is going on concerning drivers and roads we all drive on with our RV. It shouldn't turn into a bashing but a conversation that might be usefull to communitcate our concerns to Congress/Senate for what that is worth.

Last year in Albuquerque they busted a Chiropractor that was selling whatever medical certifications are resquired for over the road truckers. He wasn't even doing anything to check them out. Not even checking their pulse. I think this is an issue and he was selling to everyone, all nationalities. I kind of wonder how a Chiropracter can do medical cerifications? It may be legal but is it right and smart? I don't know. Could this affect me as an RVr, maybe yes maybe no if it puts an unsafe semi-driver on the road with me and my RV. BTW, it affects the truck drivers that bought them as now they are totally driving illegally if they weren't before.

Maybe it will and maybe it won't but it is nice to know what is going on concerning drivers and roads we all drive on with our RV. It shouldn't turn into a bashing but a conversation that might be usefull to communitcate our concerns to Congress/Senate for what that is worth.

Last year in Albuquerque they busted a Chiropractor that was selling whatever medical certifications are resquired for over the road truckers. He wasn't even doing anything to check them out. Not even checking their pulse. I think this is an issue and he was selling to everyone, all nationalities. I kind of wonder how a Chiropracter can do medical cerifications? It may be legal but is it right and smart? I don't know. Could this affect me as an RVr, maybe yes maybe no if it puts an unsafe semi-driver on the road with me and my RV. BTW, it affects the truck drivers that bought them as now they are totally driving illegally if they weren't before.

To be certified to perform these exams can be any licensed person from RN up. They need to pass a written test(I think can be done on line)of 120 questions and 14 hours of training. They have a written guideline to follow I think is 200 plus pages long. They do not have to have any experience but can deny you a medical certificate if they feel you are not capable of operating an HDT in away that will not make you a hazard to public safety. In fact they are told to error on the side of public safety and not on keeping the drivers lively in the equation.

As near as I can tell if the certified person does not like you for what ever reason he can deny your medical and there is no recourse except go to another one for certification like that is going to happen. <_<

There has always been persons at truck stops who will provide medical certificates for little cost and no exam. If this was an attempt to prevent that I am sorry to say it is a dismal failure. The Fed's say this requirement is not to make it more difficult for the drivers but is certainly is not easy and can be pretty expensive as well, whats new from the Fed's. Don't ask how I know about it being expensive an no recourse if the examiner decides he does not really like you!!!! :angry:

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

yep, this guy was set up right by a large truck stop, TA , I think. The ones you speak about, do they have to look at any kind of blood or urine tests? Just curious.

Pssst! Bob, no one is listening what did you do to make him not like you? I can keep a secret. :ph34r:

I think the OP's point was about road safety. Simply asking the question as to whether Mexican drivers/companies/trucks were up to 'standard'. Any safety issue on the roads affects, or can affect, us all. It seems that Mexican trucking in the USA will be closely monitored. That's great but in reality I would be worried about the other 99.999% of truckers as well.

regards

I'll try to keep this as non-political as I can-

If the Mexican truckers are going to be monitored by the same system that monitors the state dept visa's for foreign students, or the system that gave numbers to all the illegal aliens this past summer, then nothing the Mexican truckers do will be changed. If a system would be set up where the trucks go thru a 100 point inspection, the driver goes thru a blood style drug test, and real-time tracking can be installed on the trucks to ensure the laws are followed, then yea.... let them in. While there at it, enforce some of these rules on our own truckers, and Bus drivers.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I agree that better monitering someway of the current US truckers and their driving is warranted. The vast majority are great but with more and more on the road the numbers of dangerous one rise along with the good ones. I know we, the other drivers on the road, are a factor but that is the nature of the beast when they sign on. I would like to make life easier and safer for all of us if there is any way to do it but I ain't holding my breath. Just to through technology in the mix we have all the distractions they offer contributes to the mix.

I bet during the demonstration project they were monitered very closely and may be for a few years when the gates are first thrown open but eventually complancey will set in. Once this is done an our truckers are allowed there they will be in the same sitution as most won't speak Spanish and I kind of think it will be more dangerous for them.

Sorry but I'll say it. Me thinks there is some racial discrimination going on here by 'some' folks. Please tell me I'm wrong. Please.

It's ok for Mexicans and other Latino's to come to the US, use our medical and social system, buy homes, own business, even if they are undocumented illegals.

BUT

An American cannot own property in Mexico, cannot own a business in Mexico, will get thrown in jail for crossing the border illegally or with a weapon (just ask the Marines), has to buy Mexican state insurance at the border to drive on their roads, and Mexico has no welfare for an American to fall back on in rough times...

Sorry but I'll say it. Me thinks there is some racial discrimination going on here by 'some' folks. Please tell me I'm wrong. Please.

It's ok for Mexicans and other Latino's to come to the US, use our medical and social system, buy homes, own business, even if they are undocumented illegals.

BUT

An American cannot own property in Mexico, cannot own a business in Mexico, will get thrown in jail for crossing the border illegally or with a weapon (just ask the Marines), has to buy Mexican state insurance at the border to drive on their roads, and Mexico has no welfare for an American to fall back on in rough times...

Some of this has alread been addressed!

You can buy homes & land or own a buisness in Mexico!!!!!

Correct you cannot even have a spent casing in Mexico or you will go to jail.

You do not have to purchase Comp & Coll in Mexico. You do have to purchase Liablilty from a Mexico Insurance Company if you don't want to go to jail should you be in an accident. But the choice is yours, you don't have to purchase & no one will check until you have THE accident! There are USA Insurance Companies that do cover Comp & Coll in Mexico, Nationwide & Progressive are two. Personally have Nationwide. The same is true for Mexicans, SUPPOSE to have Insurance when they cross the border. They too can go to jail in USA if in an accident. Same in the two countries!

There are hundreds of thousands of USA Ex-prats that live off the Mexican Healthcare System receiving FREE or nearly FREE healthcare in Mexico.

There are many USA citizens that cross without papers or stay beyond time limits of their paperwork in Mexico, therefore illegal. Personally have known some!

There is no comparison of rough times in USA and Mexico so will not even address.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

"Less than a month after the DOT’s Office of the Inspector General released a report saying that the data gathered by the cross-border pilot program was invalid and insufficient to make any claims about the safety of Mexican carriers driving in the United States, the DOT has decided to move ahead anyway and allow Mexican carriers to operate here in the US."

Well Gemstone I guess that says a lot. I wonder if our elected leaders are aware of this and do they give a big rat's A.

Just to be the 'devil' in this debate!!!

If safety is an issue on the roads how about taking into account all those overloaded/unroadworthy RVs that are on the road. Heh? Imagine a government that suddenly decides that ALL vehicles over xx tons must pull into the scales. Is a 15 ton RV any safer in an accident than a 15 ton truck?

Be careful about targeting one group of road users while another group ignores its own failings.

regards

yep, this guy was set up right by a large truck stop, TA , I think. The ones you speak about, do they have to look at any kind of blood or urine tests? Just curious.

Pssst! Bob, no one is listening what did you do to make him not like you? I can keep a secret. :ph34r:

Sorry I took so long to answer. I basically questioned his ability to test properly in several areas. For instance the forced whisper hearing test that has been required for years. You have to be able to hear a forced whisper at 5 feet or greater. He was standing at least 15 feet away when testing. Now my hearing is such now I could not pass the test if done properly I will admit and had planned on getting hearing aides. So went got hearing aides a cost of $6000+ and retook the test and he said he was doing me a favor in passing me with the hearing aides. This and a few other items got my started when I asked him that spending $6000 for hearing aides he was saying they did not help and he shrugged his shoulders I think my voice elevated some. I had gotten an actually audiologist test results which passed the DOT requirements and he was full of BS!!!! He had to pass me but I honestly was surprised he just did not say I don't think you are capable of driving an HDT and denied my certificate. In reality he can do that and provide no other reason and you are out of luck!!! <_<:)

Sorry to OP as this is getting to far off topic and could be discussed all on it own. It is in fact in Freightliner Run Smart, and some other trucker forums and nobody seems to know of a way to fix it.

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

Just to be the 'devil' in this debate!!!

If safety is an issue on the roads how about taking into account all those overloaded/unroadworthy RVs that are on the road. Heh? Imagine a government that suddenly decides that ALL vehicles over xx tons must pull into the scales. Is a 15 ton RV any safer in an accident than a 15 ton truck?

Be careful about targeting one group of road users while another group ignores its own failings.

regards

Now we are talking..... :ph34r:

Is the pot or the kettle black?..... Yep It's dem guys.

I'll take the trucks almost every time.... ^_^

Dave

Dave, Renee & furkids Casey & Miss Kitty
1998 Volvo 610 Straight 10 "Leather n' Lace"; Herrin bed w/Rampage motorcycle lift; 2010 40' New Horizons Majestic; 2008 Harley FLSTC; 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited; 1999 Yamaha 4X4 Kodiak (that is NOT with us!)

I don't find anything racial on this thread...just some plain facts....

And as far as non safe trucks on our USA roads, many many USA trucks are titled in Oregon (I believe, or another state) to get out of state inspections.

When I retired in WV, a local log hauler wanted me to drive for him...had about (4) trucks.

I was very interested until I looked at his rigs....and drove one..

I would not have driven any one of them on a flat road for one mile...

And I can tell you from living there, that these drivers have to be some of the most talented in the country to run those rigs up and down the WV mountains.. (or hills..what ever you want to call them) :)

My comment is based on living in WV ~(6) years ago, so if things have changed I am wrong.

Also no disrespect to the majority of safe driving truckers that run very safe rigs.

Cheers,

Bob

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Archived