Buying a HDT Tomorrow

bmzero

So, I've been shopping HDT's for quite a while and I've settled on a Volvo 730, actually the one attached.

It will be registered in AL as a RV or at least I'm going to attempt that process.

My biggest concern is getting it home from Youngstown, OH all the way to Birmingham, AL. I do not have a CDL yet, but I do plan on getting one just to be safe. The process is pretty simple in Alabama. I have read several threads here and other places, but I do not see a clear suggestion on stopping at weigh stations or not. Does anyone here have any experience on this route (I65 all the way) with a bobtail HDT w/ a temporary tag?

I will probably start the drive near midnight on Friday evening. Not on purpose, but that's just when I can get to the truck and start the trip. If that doesn't work out, I will start the drive Saturday morning.

At this point, I'm leaning toward going through all open weigh stations and hoping they don't question the temp tag.

Thanks in advance.

-brit

post-49455-0-35619300-1418342636_thumb.jpeg

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First, a BIG welcome to this Forum !! :)

Yes, I would get a temp (30) day permit.

Others may very on their advise, but when I bought mine I did that and drove it ~550 miles home without a hitch. Did not stop at any weigh stations, and did not have a CDL, but did put magnetic signs on the sides that read "Private Coach, Not for Hire"

Good luck, and jump right in here..

Cheers,

Bob

OH, and on EDIT:

Sweet truck !!!

1989 Safari Serengeti 34'
Towing a 1952 M38A1 Military Willys

Past HDT owner

Brit, congrats, that is one fine looking truck. Let us know what the specs are on it. I will leave advice on what to do on the way home to those who know more about such things......Big5ver comes to mind as well as several others who may have had to do as you are going to have to do to get that beauty back home. Safe travels. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Specs:
2008 VNL730
I-Shift
500 horse D16

I'll probably print up some signs tonight. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get a temporary permit as I have already left Alabama. I'll just have to risk it I guess.

I'm wondering if I'm better off skipping the weigh stations or driving through them w/o plates (and with the private coach signs).

Thanks for the compliments on the truck. I have looked at quite a few before settling on this one.

Nice truck, wow!

Ferried my truck over 3,000 miles from Salt Lake City to southern New Hampshire. No CDL, actually for the first time behind the wheel of the HDT. The seller, used trucks reseller, slapped temporary 30 day permit on the windshield, gave me a 20 minutes driving course how to operate an HDT with an Autoshift and sent me on the way.

Didn't stop at any way stations, didn't get chased, didn't get stopped.

Nice truck, wow!

Ferried my truck over 3,000 miles from Salt Lake City to southern New Hampshire. No CDL, actually for the first time behind the wheel of the HDT. The seller, used trucks reseller, slapped temporary 30 day permit on the windshield, gave me a 20 minutes driving course how to operate an HDT with an Autoshift and sent me on the way.

Didn't stop at any way stations, didn't get chased, didn't get stopped.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear. I appreciate you taking the time to weigh in.

Long thread on the topic here

I drove mine from KC to Chicago on a temp tag with just an operators license, got my class A later. If you can get a non-CDL class A you will be better off in the long run, lots of discussion on that issue here in the forum.

Nice looking truck uh .. RV. Good luck!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

I do not have a CDL yet, but I do plan on getting one just to be safe.

Why? What does having a CDL have to do with safety? I would recommend NOT getting a CDL unless required by your state. And I would NOT stop at any weigh stations. Many states have civilians working in their weigh stations and I would rather explain, roadside, why I didn't stop than try to convince some civilian that I am not commercial. If you are not commercial, you have no business in the scales anyway.

Welcome and nice truck.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Nice looking HDT. I am looking (and dreaming) right now. What made you decide on this truck?

I went with the 730 due to the wider sleeper, as compared to the 630 (6" wider and rear windows), and the floor plan (dinette versus double bunks). I have a 5 year old son and an 8 year old daughter. I think they will appreciate having the table in the rear. Plus, it gives me room to put a bathroom in it, should that become necessary (small bladders). I also like the lower roof cab height of the 730,as compared to the 780. It should line up well with my toy hauler.

I chose this particular truck because it has good miles, I-Shift, good mechanicals, and price.

I would suggest dropping down to Canton, and take 30 to 71. That will avoid the weigh station on 80 which can be fairly active. The one in southern Ohio, and KY/TN are more likely to be closed.

Great advice. Thanks!

If you are not commercial, you have no business in the scales anyway.

I really appreciate your advice, and on principal I agree. However, I just left a summit meeting at the Performance Racing Industry show in Indianapolis today that shared other experiences. I don't have an answer at this point. I'm just trying to gather information. Again, thanks for your input.

Welcome Brit, my wife and I flew from Colorado to Fla. to pick our truck up and drove the 2000 miles back and had no problem.

Until we got in Kansas and got stopped by a trooper and when he climbed up to my door he quickly apologized for pulling us over.

He said that didn't see out private coach sign when we passed him. Never asked for any papers or license. We bought the truck

from another member here and he let us keep his plate on for the ride home. Oh and by the way we didn't stop at any weigh stations.

It was an uneventful trip.

Chip

Chip and Ruth

2000 Kenworth T2000 'Titus'

2006 Keystone Raptor 'Cletus'

2010 Smart 'Alyck'

Getting a CDL is a good thing.

Again, why? If you are not commercial and your state does not require it, why is it a good thing?

If you are not commercial then you want to stay as far away from appearing commercial as possible. If you have a non commercial license that is available to you then use it. A commercial drivers license does nothing except cost more. It will not change your driving ability or skill level.

I really appreciate your advice, and on principal I agree. However, I just left a summit meeting at the Performance Racing Industry show in Indianapolis today that shared other experiences. I don't have an answer at this point. I'm just trying to gather information. Again, thanks for your input.

They have very different experiences because a LOT of racers are commercial and trying to skirt the regs by claiming to be recreational. I now see that you are pulling a toy hauler. Ok, so are you hauling your 4wheelers to the place you are camping or are you hauling your motorcycles to the race track? If you are not racing, then I stand by my original statement: Stay out of scales. This is an RV forum, not a racing forum and the opinions here are for RV'ers, and RV's (being used for recreational purposes) have no business in scales unless the signage specifically says so.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

The process of acquiring a CDL will increase your knowledge of utilizing a class 8 vehicle. I agree that a CDL is not needed but studying the CDL manual should make you aware of the inspection process and functions of a class 8 vehicle. From the op's post, it would appear that he has, at best, limited knowledge of class 8 vehicles.

My thoughts on the CDL are that I want to show any curious DOT officers or State Troopers that I have done all of the necessary training, learning, inspections and other activities to make sure I'm as safe and knowledgable as possible. I do agree that, legally, the CDL is not necessary, but from what I've heard being 100% correct and legal does not exempt you from getting a ticket and having your rig put out of service. You may in fact win the court case, but still be required to pay court fees and travel fees to and from your stranded vehicle. Best case scenario, getting a CDL will be wasted effort.

It won't be wasted. You are doing the right thing. The knowledge gained will be helpful in easing your concerns about safe operation of your truck. From other posts on this forum, you can see some results of inexperienced owners of class 8 vehicles. I feel that many others have had experiences that they don't care to post.

If you are doing anything that could be construed as commercial, have any signage that says XXX racing, or advertising, or if you do anything where you win money, trophy's, meals, etc then yes you are considered commercial and need to be licensed as such.

If you are going to just haul your 5'er around and site see and such, then no CDL required.

Depending on your state of residency, your truck will also have to meet certain criteria to be licensed as a motorhome/RV. Usually its cooking facilities, refrigeration, bathroom facilities, 110v power, sleeping arrangement and so forth.

Do some topic searching, its been discussed many times many different ways.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Great looking and Spec truck! You made a good choice there. Enjoy the ride home!

Congrats!

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

ONe comment on the CDL...having a CDL means you WILL be held to a higher standard in case of an infraction/accident. I've had OTR truckers tell me that the "rule of thumb" is the CDL holder is generally considered at fault in any accident because they "should" have been able to avoid it--which is why they will lay the truck over in the ditch rather than hit another vehicle. I commend you for wanting the knowledge base...just remember it comes with a real responsibility increase. Possibly take a OTR driver school and get the papers to prove it, but stay with a A non-CDL?

Very nice truck--your kids are gonna love riding in it. I had/have small children and having a Truck was "COOL"! Until they got older and realized they couldn't be online while traveling....sigh.

No camper at present.

Way too many farm machines to maintain.

Archived