Buying a HDT Tomorrow

bmzero

Studying the manual and actually getting a CDL are very different. Studying and learning are always good things. In our (HDT RV) world having a CDL when not required may lead to more questions about whether or not you are actually a commercial vehicle. Not having a CDL (when legally not required) is just one more factor in your favor when out of state and trying to convince an LEO.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Studying the manual and actually getting a CDL are very different. Studying and learning are always good things. In our (HDT RV) world having a CDL when not required may lead to more questions about whether or not you are actually a commercial vehicle. Not having a CDL (when legally not required) is just one more factor in your favor when out of state and trying to convince an LEO.

That is exactly the situation I'm weighing in my decision to get a CDL or not. I completely agree with your logic. If our DOT laws were consistent state to state and all officers followed a consistent strategy, I would avoid the CDL without question. However, they are not consistent, which has me juggling the decision. Either way, it isn't going to happen today, so I still have some time to stress over it.

My current issue is getting insurance to drive the truck home. My insurance company is requiring a CDL number before they will issue a policy on it, just to get it home. Anyone have a recommendation there?

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Going on the road in a class 8 vehicle with little or no experience or training is not responsible. In the event of an accident, a smart lawyer will have a field day. One test will be...what would a reasonable person do. I believe that one of the tenants of law is.."Ignorance is no excuse".

Anything done to enhance safety is worthwhile.

ONe comment on the CDL...having a CDL means you WILL be held to a higher standard in case of an infraction/accident. I've had OTR truckers tell me that the "rule of thumb" is the CDL holder is generally considered at fault in any accident because they "should" have been able to avoid it--which is why they will lay the truck over in the ditch rather than hit another vehicle. I commend you for wanting the knowledge base...just remember it comes with a real responsibility increase. Possibly take a OTR driver school and get the papers to prove it, but stay with a A non-CDL?

Very nice truck--your kids are gonna love riding in it. I had/have small children and having a Truck was "COOL"! Until they got older and realized they couldn't be online while traveling....sigh.

I'm with Jeff on this. Educate yourself to the highest possible level to insure for yourself that you know what you are doing out there and what to watch out for. But stay with a A non-CDL.

Nice looking truck!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

There is no need to prove that you know what you are doing alongside the road with LEO, and as mentioned, you might be opening up a new whole can of worms. If you need to prove anything, that will be in court with all your "classes" taken in advance with proof of completion.

Big5er, I wonder how many "Professional" drivers you have stopped and put their truck "out of order" because of some safety issue that their own CDL "Professional" experience should have found during their own inspection of their truck?

Having that CDL doesn't make you anymore smarter, or have more common sense, than when you started this process. Like any learning process, and the many schools that are out there for anything, it just shows that you were able to "learn" how to pass the test. I would submit that many of our trucks are in much better shape and more well cared for than some of the trucks on the road out there.

This is not meant to be a slam on you OTR guys. I'm talking about "some" of the CDLs. I really appreciate when OTR guys post some of your high mileage experience when it comes to helping us with knowing more about our trucks. HUGE THANK YOU.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

My normal insurance company, AllState, was able to get it insured under my existing commercial policy which they made me have for a F450,which is also noncommercial.

Looks like I'll be hitting the road tomorrow morning.

I had a CDL until just recently and I have talked with accident investigators about it. They tell me whom ever is at fault will get the citation. A CDL is just a drivers license to them. However they will write a citation if their investigation determines one is warranted. While maybe not openly admitting it there is a general feeling that big rigs should not be given the benefit of doubt. And most say that benefit would probably not be given to us either. As far as commercial or RV if a retired person is pulling a 5th wheel RV and there are no obvious signs of commercial activities most DOT officers won't give a second look. As one at a weigh station told me it is obvious that mom and pop are going somewhere. I have run into some LEO's that see a truck and immediately assume a CDL is required. A CDL isn't necessary but may help in that case. Having a CDL did not cause me any trouble.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I had a CDL until just recently and I have talked with accident investigators about it. They tell me whom ever is at fault will get the citation. A CDL is just a drivers license to them. However they will write a citation if their investigation determines one is warranted. While maybe not openly admitting it there is a general feeling that big rigs should not be given the benefit of doubt. And most say that benefit would probably not be given to us either. As far as commercial or RV if a retired person is pulling a 5th wheel RV and there are no obvious signs of commercial activities most DOT officers won't give a second look. As one at a weigh station told me it is obvious that mom and pop are going somewhere. I have run into some LEO's that see a truck and immediately assume a CDL is required. A CDL isn't necessary but may help in that case. Having a CDL did not cause me any trouble.

I appreciate the information. I'll definitely weigh that in on the CDL decision.

I made it to Youngstown, OH. I should be in the truck headed home tomorrow morning. A friend of mine left the Indiana Convention Center headed back to Alabama this afternoon. He said he only noticed one weigh station along the way and it was closed. Hopefully it will remain closed tomorrow. Then, I will only have to worry about weigh stations from Youngstown to Indy.

It won't be wasted. You are doing the right thing. What experience are you using in making this statement? Most of the LEO's here that own HDT's here will tell you that NOT having a CDL (if not required) is the way to go. The knowledge gained will be helpful in easing your concerns about safe operation of your truck. True. Knowledge is a good thing. Knowledge is not a CDL, nor does knowledge come from having one. There are a great number of idiots with CDL's. From other posts on this forum, you can see some results of inexperienced owners of class 8 vehicles. What post? None of us are perfect and I'd be willing to be quite a few of us have had a traffic accident in our lives, yet we all have drivers licenses. Having a license does not insure that you will never have an accident, nor does having a CDL suddenly make you "experienced". I feel that many others have had experiences that they don't care to post. And you made this assumption based on what??

I am all for studying and learning, but having a CDL proves absolutely NOTHING. It does not make you a better driver, and it does not make you less likely to have an accident. Many LEO's have never seen an HDT RV. Anything our size just has to be commercial, in his mind. Some states will not let you register trucks our size as anything other than a commercial truck. When you are on the side of the road, trying to convince that officer that you are 100% recreational and not commercial at all, which do you think looks better? Having a CDL, that is not required if you are recreational as you claim to be, or showing him that you have the proper non commercial license as required by your licensing state?

As far as lawyers "having a field day", the other guys lawyer has one job, to win for his client. Do you really think he cares if you have a CDL? If you have a CDL, he will argue that you should have known better because you have a CDL. If you don't have one, he will say you should have had one so you would have known better. If it will win the case for his client, whatever you did was wrong, and he will find an expert witness to testify to that fact. A "smart" lawyer can argue both sides of the same coin simply based on the circumstances of the case. He can flip from one side to the other to suit the need of his argument. That is his job. It is not to care or be truthful, it is to win, Period.

I also have no signage on my truck, and have never driven into a scale house. I have passed many of them and have yet to be chased down.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

If your home state has a specific requirement for a license that is required for heavy RV's or air brakes that would seem like the best way to go. For whatever it is worth is says that the state feels you are qualified to drive your truck or RV. However Colorado, where I reside and a number of other states don't offer such licenses. Any drivers license is acceptable. As I said above a CDL isn't needed but it could save a ticket in a few instances. I had a Colorado State Patrol Officer tell me he would write me a ticket if he found me driving my truck without a CDL. When I tried to explain the RV thing he said it looks commercial to him. He would let the judge and DA figure it out. Some city and county officers also agree with him. My point is a CDL isn't needed but in a few instances it may as the OP said help. For any of us if we are at fault in a accident and they take us to court we need a good attorney, some luck and a lot of insurance. What we are doing will make us a target and the drivers license will only change the way the argument goes. I hear commercials nearly daily from attorneys ready to help go after truckers that have caused accidents.

On edit to further confuse things the Colorado Drivers License has printed on it.

Class R: Any motor vehicle with a GVWR of less than 26,001 lbs...

Commercial or RV is not mentioned as it is in the law. Very confusing!

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

In NC a CDL is not required, but a class A is, the test for both is the same and study book is the same, as said befor the class A does not require medical & is less costly, so why get a CDL ?????????

the sailor & his Lady

1998 Volvo 610 "Big Red"

2006 Newmar Kountry Aire "Mother Goose"

2013 Smart Car "Lil' Red"

" If you aren't living on the edge, you are just taking up space "

Congratulations on your purchase.!!

We too bought a VOLVO but ours is a 780. The price was right and we really like it. I 'll bet you will too. I drove home from Cincinnati with a temporary tag only in Ohio and didn't stop at any weigh stations, not one issue...You'll be just fine.

And now the fun begins...

Denver and Judy

Congrats on your new truck. Drive safe. As far as the regular drivers license vs a cdl, I don't think it matters one way or the other. Just know what you're doing. I run a cdl but grandfathered into it. I keep my medical cert up to date and get a discount from my insurances for it. Have fun. I hear its never too late to have a happy childhood!

Damian
'83 W900B, 3406B, RTO14615, 355 tandems, '95 Carriage Carriage triple axle

reluyog@gmail.com

Be safe and enjoy the trip, Brit. Adding to the license discussion, I have a South Carolina class F license [combination vehicle over 26001 lbs]. The manual and test is the same as for a CDL but the pre trip inspection is more detailed for a CDL. The examiner said that the CDL pretrip was about 15 minutes longer than the Class F pretrip and wanted to know why I didn't just go ahead and get the CDL. There is also a medical required for a CDL....I'm sure I would pass the medical but just didn't see the need for a CDL. BTW my Volvo 780 is registered as a motorhome in SC. Charlie

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

Well, you ought to be close to home by now!!

I'd roll past any weigh stations that were open. If you pull in you will likely be pulled in....if you get the drift. No DOT numbers, temp tags.....they will want to look at you nine times out of ten.

I've driven trucks all the way across the country to get home and bypassed many wei9gh stations. That is the way I'd do it in your circumstances.

On the CDL thing.....I come down on the side of no CDL. I had one and gave it up. If you don't need it, don't do it. For all the reasons stated. Make sure you are not driving out of class for AL though. Get the proper license, document it by carrying your state code with you (if it is unusual) and be done with it. As to training - sure, get all the training you need or want. Training is always a good thing. It can be self-learning. It does not have to be a school. Look at some of the CDL books. Some are quite good. Look at some of the "big rig" training videos. Again, some are quite good and even commercial drivers can learn from them.

Congrats on the truck. Nice truck with great specs. Hard to find that early of a 730 with an IShift. they are quite rare, indeed. ESPECIALLY with a D16. Welcome to the "big power". :) Hit the hills with that engine, put your trans into performance mode, and eat the hills up.... :) My truck loafs up 7% grades with 50K+ total load.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

My normal insurance company, AllState, was able to get it insured under my existing commercial policy which they made me have for a F450,which is also noncommercial.

Looks like I'll be hitting the road tomorrow morning.

Ok I try to stay out of these threads because they frustrate me. IMO you have to make a decision. Am I going to be commercial and follow all the commercial requirements. Or am I going to be non commercial and truly operate non commercial.

Now the quote above says "my existing commercial policy" Seems to me if you have a commercial policy you must be operating as a commercial establishment. And maybe you do need a CDL.

I'm out of here back to your regular programming.

Rick and Alana

Fulltimers

2018 Newmar Ventana 4037

2020 Jeep Gladiator 

1997 Jeep TJ

2009 Mobile Suites 36RSSB3

formerly owned 2000 Volvo 770, 600 Cummins ISX,18 speed autoshift, 14 foot "garage"

ET,Jackalopee,MaxBrake,Pressure Pro pro

www.rickandalanasgreatadventures.blogspot.com

Rick, some states (Georgia where I'm at is one) will ONLY license a larger truck as a commercial truck because of weight. Once that is done, most insurance companies will insure it as a commercial truck only. Mine is done that way despite the fact it is a private truck. I also have a class E license (non commercial A) even though, by the book, I shouldn't need one. A truck used to haul a RV is exempt in Georgia but that is hard to explain when you are bobtailing....hence my class E license.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I think Arizona is probably one of the hardest to do what we do. I will give a quick explanation.

1) There is no provision for registration or license for RV as other States.

2) You can declare a weight for registration don't have to use the OEM weight numbers. Just make sure the weight you declare is sufficient should the unlikely thing happen you are forced into scales and weighed.

3) All vehicles 1 ton or larger have to be registered commercial but also a private truck. Basically a commercial vehicle used for non-commercial purposes.

4) I registered my HDT for 26,000 lbs so my insurance would consider me a MDT instead of HDT even though I am tandem axle class 8.

5) License had to be a full CDL with physical. New deal is you have to use a registered person for physicals not just any MD willing to do it. Also they have 200+ page guideline they follow on how to test what they will allow without refusing to pass you or limit the number of years including what additional steps you may need to do to get you physical. So passing now days is not as simple as it was!!!! I has a problem this last time and a LONG story.

6. Had to have a class A CDL because 5er weighs more than 10,000 lbs.

Ok the above is a simple explanation for Arizona and hope most of you don't have to deal with this kind of difficulty.

Oh forgot to add Nice truck and have fun!!!! :D

2019 Thor Chateau 28E on a Ford E450 chassis. Maybe awhile but will get a new picture forgive one up there it is my old rig.

I finally made it home. Three of the four weigh stations I passed were closed. The other didn't have anyone there to chase me down. Everything went well. 12.2 MPG.

I'll post answers to the above questions tomorrow. I appreciate everyone weighing in on this thread.

Man, this thing looks HUGE in my driveway!

Congrats

Huge - I know ,when we got ours home and pulled in the driveway looking down onto the garage roof,we looked at each other :holy moly: !!

Thing is a monster ,but you get used to it quickly ,brought ours home from out west crossed into the U.S. and back to Canada with a temp permit from Alberta.

The only scale we went into waved us out with what seemed irritation so we never stopped at another.

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived