Thermopane window cleaning

Wrknrvr

I am curious as to what cleaner for cleaning the sealer that holds the glass todether. I think it is a polyurethane product. But looking for the best cleaner that will not affect the sealer. 

I do need to look for where it leaked in to cause the fogging. I have an old window that I am expiermenting with.

Safe Travels,.    Vern

8 hours ago, SWharton said:

Why would between the panes need cleaning?

Wrknrvr is an RV repair tech & fulltimer. I believe that he is wanting to be able to offer the service.

Vern, I have googled the subject of repairing thermal pane windows and only found information related to doing this for house type windows but I'm sure that the process would be the same. Most of those services just drill a hole in the top and bottom and then use some type of liquid cleaner to flush through the space and then install some type of plugs back into the holes, leaving the air inside. I know that there are companies that do repair thermoal pane windows for RVs but I'm pretty sure that they take them apart to do that. In doing another search for RV thermal window repairs, I found a link to Dave Root Glass Repair, who sells a kit that is supposed to repair those windows. There are also some Youtube videos on the subject and it looks like Foggy Window Repair parts 1 & 2 may be worth watching.

Edited by Kirk W
repair a typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have the frameless dual pane windows and so far, the only place I have found that will reseal them is Sun Coast Design near Tampa.  Several places will do the regular framed dual panes.  It is not cheap, but less than new windows.

You can stay on their property with power and water and a dump station.  They pull your windows and cover the holes while doing the reseal.  Then they reinstall them.  They have a lifetime warrant on the repaired windows.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I seriously doubt it would be possible to tear down sealed double pane windows and re-do them yourself.  Not sure about RV sealed units but regular residential ones generally have different gases infused into them.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

5 hours ago, FL-JOE said:

Not sure about RV sealed units but regular residential ones generally have different gases infused into them.

RV windoes are also gas charged, usually with argon and sometimes with krypton. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

actually RV dual-pane windows simply have air between the panes. Motion Windows does not address what is between panes. One would think if they use an inert gas they would advertise/mention the fact. SunCoast designers say in this video they fill between the panes with dry air.

In reality dry air performs the same as Argon, NItrogen, or any other dry gas.

Wrknrvr, those are house windows, not the same as RV windows. The  man in the video does not say how he removes the air between the panes. This is kinda like "filling" a tire(window) with Nitrogren, how do they remove air from the tire(window) first??

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 9/7/2019 at 9:50 PM, Ray,IN said:

actually RV dual-pane windows simply have air between the panes. Motion Windows does not address what is between panes. One would think if they use an inert gas they would advertise/mention the fact. SunCoast designers say in this video they fill between the panes with dry air.

In reality dry air performs the same as Argon, NItrogen, or any other dry gas.

Wrknrvr, those are house windows, not the same as RV windows. The  man in the video does not say how he removes the air between the panes. This is kinda like "filling" a tire(window) with Nitrogren, how do they remove air from the tire(window) first??

That is not entirely correct.  If you ever compare a regular double pane sealed residential window to one filled with Argon and another gas (can't recall the name) you will immediately see the difference.  They have developed these gas combinations to greatly reduce UV penetration and increase the actual R value of the windows.  

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

For a update on my thoughts of this project.

I will work on at least one window this winter while in Arizona. I have searched this subject over a few years and never seen a simple way to fill the window with a gas. Now that I have seen a simple way to accomplish it, I will try it.

We have been staying in Arizona for 4 winters and I really think this is the last winter there. So I am getting some other projects in order to keep busy while there. The Rv repair business has dropped of by at least 40 percent in Montana.

It is close to time for me to retire so a day or three off a week has got me thinking more days off would be fine with me.

I am planning to install solar on our fifthwheel this winter. Window thing may involve more if it works.

Now I am going to be picking up on a old hobby from the 1970's. Back in those days I was building black powder rifles. So I hope to get some forging of parts done before we leave in October. 

Heck I mite be doing some backpacking this winter in the mountains of Arizona. Even carry a fly rod with me and do some fishing.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

12 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I will work on at least one window this winter while in Arizona. I have searched this subject over a few years and never seen a simple way to fill the window with a gas. Now that I have seen a simple way to accomplish it, I will try it.

Please explain how you plan to remove the air from between the panes and then fill with gas? would it involve a vacuum pump capable of then adding whatever gas you chose without breaking the vacuum?

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

In the past I have received double pane house windows with a vent tube.  The instructions said to crimp it upon installing.   These windows worked fine even though they had just air.  The better gas filled windows probably insulate better but at the cost of new windows, I would be good with just clear glass.  Dry air is what is important.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Watching this video you can hear him explain about heavier argon fills the bottom first. I tried to do a video but so far it has not loaded.

So this photo explains about how heavier material will stay at the bottom.

P0M5Gmyl.jpg

So in this photo there is a heavy product that is at the bottom. And a lighter product that sits at the top. Now if you shake it up they will mix physically, but separates with in 15 minutes.

So if argon is supplied to the bottom of the window slowly it will fill the space from the bottom to the top .

Vern

Thanks for the education vern. It's been almost 55 years since college science classes.  https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/gas-density-d_158.html

I also see Argon is a better insulator than air, with Xenon being the best: https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/gas-density-d_158.html

I think this is a new player in the RV fogged window repair business: Precision &nbsp;Glass

After that,IMO these are DIY dual pane window repair kits I've been considering: https://foggywindowrepairkits.com/foggy-window-seal-repair-kit/ or https://www.daverootrvglassrepair.com/window-repair-kits.html

Today I had 4 of my thermopane sliding windows re-worked by RVFogDoctor of Searcy AR.  It may well have been the most positive interaction I've had with any shop in our 9 years of full-timing.

We arrived on Sunday and I had been told that there were hookups for us to use.  Never did I expect that the hookups would be 50A with sewer and water. 

Monday morning the shop opened at 8am and by 8:30 we had "checked in" and went to breakfast (after backing the MH into the shop.)  By 9:30 when we returned all 4 window frames had been removed.  By 10:30 the first of the frames was ready to be re-installed.  Even with a lunch break, we were ready to leave by 1:30pm  THE SAME DAY!  Two technicians did the removal and re-install. Others, who I never saw cleaned the glass and installed new seals. Another technician worked on my windshield which had somewhat separated from the chassis and was leaking both water and air.

The cost of all of this was $200 per window frame, each of which contained two glass sections.  I was billed <$200 for the windshield repair.  The total for the day was <$1000 which I thought was a bargain.

We're now planning to have the "parent company" of RV Fog Doctor do a partial repaint of our MH later this winter.  They had good reviews including someone we met who was there having painting done after having had windows done a year ago.  The bid I received for painting was significantly less that the others bids I've received and that was after spending nearly half an hour with the shop foreman discussing our options.  I have the bid in writing and I my sense of the people is that they will stand behind it.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

IGU windows may be filled with air:https://www.thespruce.com/fogged-windows-repair-options-1822911

Wonder if the process to introduce Argon through the drilled hole in the glass wrkndr posted would work with this process?

Edited by Ray,IN

15 hours ago, docj said:

We're now planning to have the "parent company" of RV Fog Doctor do a partial repaint of our MH later this winter.  They had good reviews including someone we met who was there having painting done after having had windows done a year ago.  The bid I received for painting was significantly less that the others bids I've received and that was after spending nearly half an hour with the shop foreman discussing our options.  I have the bid in writing and I my sense of the people is that they will stand behind it.

Please keep us informed about the paint job. We are very interested in that.

3 hours ago, SWharton said:

Please keep us informed about the paint job. We are very interested in that.

We're scheduled to have the painting done in late February.  I'll post after it has been done.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

• 8 months later...