Information For ETHitch Install

hatrack

I'm having EThitch build me a hitch for a new VNR 640 Volvo and I'm in Crossville trying to find an installer . I see that suitesuccess used JW Morgan's Custom Welding  and was looking for there contact information but all I can find is a Facebook page but no contact info, would anyone have that or is he too far from Crossville to install? I'm also wanting a DROM box built and some tool boxes installed.

I'm at Spring Lake RV and will be here until sometime in June, hope to see the HDT trucks while I'm here. Would love to attend the rally but too much to do getting the truck ready to travel.

Thank you,

Ken

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

Hatrack,

Sorry, but JW Morgan Custom Welding is no longer in the RV/HDT business and hasn’t been for 5-6 years.  Big loss to us because he really did some quality work.

Try talking to the folks at J&K truck repair in Crossville.  They’ve worked on several of our trucks and may be able to give you some references.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Thanks suitesuccess I'll drive over and talk to them.

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

34 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

Carl, how about Jeff Proffitt Trucking, would they be another option?

Do you remember who the folks were we took the Peterbuilt to to cut out the deck and re-frame it for the Jr. Installation at the Rally few years back.

Henry,

Sorry, I don't remember.  Thinking J&K can probably lead him in the right direction.  I'll do a little more research.

On edit could it have been these guys? http://www.riverbendservice.com/

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

4 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Henry,

Sorry, I don't remember.  Thinking J&K can probably lead him in the right direction.  I'll do a little more research.

On edit could it have been these guys? http://www.riverbendservice.com/

J&K will not do it they told me one stop accessories would but they won't either, they told me that a welding shop on Peavine would but they are no longer there and there voice mail is full. They also told me about Phoenix Conversion in Knoxville but they will only work on up to one ton. I see a towing shop / truck repair beside the xpressway just west of gensis rd I'm going by there monday to talk to them. I can go from knoxville to nashville if anyone knows of someone in any of those areas.

Thank

On edit I'll go by River Bend in the morning if they're not open I'll go over Monday and talk to them.

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

Just bring it to the rally, should have enough people to help but you may need to bring a mag drill too!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Henry I believe it was called Reed Trucking, more of a tow company and salvage yard, remember his welder came to us there and you convinced him to do the whole job at once instead of going back a second day. They also had either a old class 8 truck or a tow truck he restored in the shop as well. It is behind the Pilot on the service road that runs along beside 40

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

10 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Just bring it to the rally, should have enough people to help but you may need to bring a mag drill too!

Hey if Henry was able to install mine at the rally I think any other one would be a piece of cake.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

i redone mine in an rv park. They gave me permission. Installer had thrown away the angle iron and bolted to a plate low in chassis. i unbolted it, jacked it up. Cut angle iron I purchased, and bolted to hitch. Set height needed and drilled angle thru existing holes in chassis. Used a reamer to enlarged chassis holes. Truck chassis holes were for 5/8" bolts. Used 3/4" bolts. Only need to enlarge 1/16". I did not need to drill new holes in chassis. You may very well have holes you need already in there. Especially if it has been singled. Henry told me 5/8" bolts will work, just add more. Henry has put holes in angle iron but nothing says you have to use that location. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

18 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

dblr, check this Google map photo, I think it was one of those two joints that did the work. Right off the main drag.

XkmdReYl.jpg

Henry That's the one I saw, I will go by there on Monday to see if they will install it. I will also go by River Bend to see what they say.

Star Dreamer I don't have a mag drill or anyplace to do it myself we are fulltime and got rid of almost all my bigger tool to do this kind of work. If people are interested in doing the install at the rally, I could rent one in town I think. Would also need an engine hoist, which could also be rented. The park I'm at doesn't want people working on there truck except maybe checking fluids and minor stuff. I would still need a place to ship it too.

Glenwest new truck no hole in it yet!!

Thanks everyone,

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

I was very lucky to have Henry install mine at the rally so he came prepared, he had started a thread a long time ago about doing it and even had some pictures, not sure it's still on here and I must confess I didn't search for it.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

The whole process of installation took a week because of the "project's uniqueness" and discovered (daily) challenges. The Smart made many trips to Crossville and back. Found the album on my Google photos, April 2015, how time flies.

Every project starts with "moral support" group whose job is to provide guidance, encouragement, kind and "buck up" words when project turn into a long and salty string of expletive that would make a sailor cringe (there were many of those strings) and finally serious back slapping at the successful conclusion and party.

r9rTgwRl.jpg

The truck arrived in Crossville and the unmentionable hitch was removed.

eB7PeEHl.jpg

Similar to the current situation search for a welder and a shop hit couple of snags, shops originally committed to do the job "flamed out" but we were directed to this place as a possible.

6bfYDTJl.jpg

xYASQOQl.jpg

The owner of the shop had a "welder on call" (his buddy) that he was going to persuade to come down and do the job. I was skeptical until I saw the "employee motivational posters" which told me we should be OK.

VGCRrZGl.jpg

vENgNoKl.jpg

His buddy showed up and proceeded to cut out the offending piece of the deck (1 inch thick) that needed to go.

sTwViwTl.jpg

KSSJMX2l.jpg

He started to re-frame it, after they obtained necessary piece of angle from another source, another buddy.

qoyv6w3l.jpg

9JXM3bwl.jpg

Back in the campground, yours truly did some weld beautification with a wheel prior to painting (can of Rustoleum ).

4zassyZl.jpg

Cvt0RPvl.jpg

Pure Michaelangelo, isn't it?

Aqczqeql.jpg

Moment of truth, ET coming out of the truck.

DHgU8XGl.jpg

Father Henry performing the ritual to bind the happy couple in a forever union, not to be ever broken by the likes of Trailer Saver, Comfort Ride Hitch, or other lesser upstarts.

OdAxZeBl.jpg

The ritual has been completed, the union has been blessed,

Dpj3u5tl.jpg

however the "marriage" has not yet been fully consummated. That occurred several days later when the king pin was inserted onto the Binkley head and the happy couple embarked on the "honeymoon trip".

OQmBW53l.jpg

Charlie, the stout member of the "encouragement crew" celebrated with yours truly the fact that it was indeed over and the couple is off.

wNJ14WJl.jpg

We were also invited to the celebratory departure party prior of our departure to the sunny Florida.

CeHHETyl.jpg

Since we were living in the truck cab only my cousin and I were limited to the contents of truck cab refrigerator, about one and half cubic feet. Alas the members of the Rally thought the we were worthy of a "reward" and presented us with a couple of these.

034ueu1l.jpg

Also, since our thermal abilities were limited to the truck cab microwave, the steaks were perfectly cooked for us and served with "all the fixin's"

bFvtG9Ll.jpg

Henry thanks for digging up the old photos and to this date there are no regrets no matter how long it took or how many miles the poor old Smart put on back n forth to Crossville. The hitch is wonderful and our new camper a River Stone Legacy which was built in the old Carriage facility is enjoying the nice comfortable ride the ET provides!!! A special thanks to Charlie who kept me off the ledge from jumping by reminding me everyday that the wait will be worth it. Once again thanks to Henry and Tom for the great job.

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Really, you ought to be able to find someone locally. Or bring it to KS and we can help you out. But that does not seem a "reasonable" choice given the distance. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Just about any small fabrication/welding/machine shop could do this for you. Crossville is within a 2 hour drive of Knoxville, Nashville and Chattanooga TN. Between them, you should be able to find several places that can help.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Henry,

Is RVH Lifestyles now the distributor of ET Hitches since manufacturing moved from Florida or can they still be bought through you?  Wondering in case question comes up at ECR.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Thanks suitesuccess for the River Bend info they told me today that they would install the hitch.

The ETHitch is now being built by Young Products and sold thru Popup Towing Products, http://popuphitch.com out of Chanute, KS.

Jack I wish I could come there but I'll have no way to move my trailer once I get the truck and 12 hours to drop the trailer with my dually and come back to get the truck and 12 hours to bring the truck back is a little too much at this time. I may be contacting you about some other stuff later.

Thanks everyone for the replies,

Ken

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

Ken,

Great glad to hear you’ll be able to get it done.  Come by the rally and at least look at some trucks in late April.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived