Trip to Yellow Stone

Chesters Dad

Greetings to All, We are planning a summer trip to Yellowstone.  Going from Tulsa,Ok Possible route 35N to Nebraska via York then Alliance then Keystone (Rushmore) then Yellowstone.  Any thoughts on campgrounds, things to see along the way.  Planning about a week at Yellowstone I see a number of campgrounds making it a chore to choose. I know many of you have been in these areas and look forward to your input. Thank You.

How many in your party, how many are kids (ages)?  What are everyone's interests?  Do the search for the Office of Tourism for each state you visit to plan the trip and check out things that interest your family.  Are you planning to stay inside the park?  Fishing Bridge is closed this year for repairs so if you need full hook-ups you'll have to stay outside the park.  What are you going to see inside Yellowstone NP?  A week is okay, but not nearly enough time to see it all beyond a cursory visit.  We've stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone and Rocky Mtn. RV in Gardiner.  We've stayed at both campgrounds along with Fishing Bridge and we had a great time for the three weeks we were there and divided the park into thirds to cover as much of it as we could.  Have you considered adding a visit to Grand Teton NP which is just south of YNP on this visit?  That's at least another 4-5 days to enjoy the park, especially if you plan on hiking.  If you just plan on driving from point to point, be prepared for heavy traffic.

We always stay IN the national parks for the best overall experience.  With our 40' MH we have stayed at Madison, Bridge Bay and Mammoth campgrounds.

As mentioned above, definitely take in Grand Teton Nat'l Park right next door to Yellowstone.  There we stay at Gros Ventre or Colter Bay campgrounds.  There's also a Colter Bay RV if you need hookups.

One week in Yellowstone is plenty of time but do add on Grand Teton.  They are both different in looks and things to do.  We love the hiking in Grand Teton for all abilities.  Take a gentle float trip down the Snake River in the park and you just might see a moose in the water with you. We did!

Each national park has a great website listing things to do, camping information, special alerts, road information, openings, etc.  Check the out.

https://www.nps.gov/grte/index.htm

https://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

We spent last spring and summer in Cody, Wy last year and we ended going to YS 6 different times and still didn't see it all. I have 5 pages in an email of a lot to see in that area if you want to read it. Kinda hated to dump it all on here but will email if you want it. Going back this year to same spot; lots left to see.

I would assume that you have reasons for your preferred route, even though I might do things differently. If you have time, I suggest a stop for a couple of days at Pioneer Village in Minden, NE . They used to have a pretty good RV park you can stay in. Since you are traveling to Keystone, SD you should try and spend some time in Custer State Park if your schedule allows. They have some very nice campgrounds inside of the park that I would stay in. 

In NE, when you pass through Chadron you will be just a short distance from Ft. Robinson State Park and it is well worth a days visit. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I always go to Omaha NE, Son and grandkids live there, and then go up I-29 to Souix Falls SD, merge onto I-90 and head to Rapid City. You can see the Corn Palace and Badlands National Park on the way. If you plan on staying in Custer State Park, which I recommend, I volunteered there several times, get your reservations now. It is full beginning of June to end of August. It is just a short drive from there to Mt Rushmore in your tow vehicle. Great drive on Needles Hwy or Iron Mt road but not in your RV. From there you can take Hwy 20all the way to Cody WY for a day or two, then continue to Yellowstone. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I would plan to find an RV park as close to Yellowstone as possible. I'v stayed at Cody, WY before, It's about a hours drive just to the East entry gate, then close to another hour to the loop road. BTW, the road from the E. gate into the park is steep upgrade and slow driving,.

Yes it's a longer drive to W. Yellowstone and modern RV parks, but it puts you within a reasonable drive to any part of the NP. If you'll be arriving when schools are not in session, plan to make reservations early, especially since the Fishing Bridge CG is closed this year.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If you can get a reservation, I'd stay inside the park, preferably at Fishing Bridge campground. If staying outside of the park I think that I'd choose to stay in West Yellowstone, MT. Campground Reviews is a good place to get ideas of what your options are. It has been some time since we last stayed there. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

As mentioned and as noted on the Park's website  Fishing Bridge RV Park is closed for the 2019 season. This means that  there are over 300 fewer full hookup sites available in the area. How big are the 3 fifth wheels? If you can dry camp, the first come first serve campgrounds have some longer spots. Check the link above. Only Mammoth and Norris campgrounds allow generator use. Canyon Campground is very popular and I think convenient for touring much of the park. All the concession run dry campgrounds allow generator use. There are a number of Forest Service campgrounds outside the park which may or may not have sites for larger RVs. Baker"s Hole and Rainbow Point on the West side have some electric sites as do Rex Hale and Wapiti on the East side.

First order of business for Yellowstone for three 5th wheels is to secure a place to camp.  For campsites inside the park, at this late date, for a summer stay, all reservable campsites are probably booked.   The reservation system for summer 2019 opened on in May 2018.  

For RV Parks outside the park, start looking ASAP to see if any campsites are still available. 

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Archived