Emergency Motorhome Drivers

Hello,  

My wife and I have been full-timing since last March.  We sold our home in Dallas and have been doing pretty well this summer throughout the NW and currently in Durango Co.  Unfortunately I ruptured my achilles this morning playing pickleball and as luck would have it, I did it to my right leg.  Emergency room doc says I need surgery in 7-10 days.  We were planning to return to Dallas at the end of the week for other annual checkups.  I'm trying to assess options.  My wife has never driven the rig (40 ft gasser with toad).  I feel I could drive but wondering whether that is a safest plan and what other options there might be.    Have a couple of friends that might be contacted but would hate to put this on them.  Also will be contacting my dealer in the am as I believe they may have drivers.   Does anyone out there have any suggestions? 

Thank you

Dave

Sorry for your mishap playing a fun game!  I really don't think you should try driving yourself. Not good if you had to put fast pressure on that foot and for sure, it will become tired in no time.  Hope you can find a driver fast.  When this is all over you really need to get your wife driving.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

I drive our 36' MH  + Toad. I am a full believer that both people should be drivers for this very reason. Bit late for you but there are RV Driving Schools.

If you can't find anyone I would have your wife try it out but stay on main roads, 4 lanes preferable, until she gets use to it. Even if you only travel 50-100 miles the first few days that  is fine. If she acclimates well slowly increase the mileage but not more than 200 as that is enough miles of stress. I would guess Dallas is around 1000 miles from Durango.

The other choice, depending on the recovery time, is stay in Durango or go to Farmington(60 miles), have your surgery and recovery. Then proceed to Dallas.

Hope you find a driver though, maybe someone just to get you to Farmington to avoid the snowy weather in Durango.

41 minutes ago, SWharton said:

I think the FMCA has a plan also.

Not sure if either would work in an "non-emergency" situation. Need to check the wording carefully for both.

I believe some plans only get you to the nearest medical facility.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Wish I could help but I’m down in Surprise AZ. I believe that FMCA will get your rig home if you are a member. Not sure about the emergency vs non emergency thing? Please Keep us informed as to your status. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 10/8/2018 at 8:07 PM, davebro10 said:

May have some emergency coverage that relates to this.

Would you give us an update?  I have been in contact with friends who are coming from Creede, but they had to leave.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Wish we were closer but are currently in SC and will be headed to Savanna.  It would be a tough decision if I were in your shoes, do you stay and have surgery done there or try to get home?

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

Hi Everyone,

Appreciate all the suggestions.   I apologize for the delay in responding.  I actually wrote this 4 days ago but did not hit submit  Duh!  I opted NOT to drive home myself.  My wife is a bit nervous about driving the rig and  I didn't want to put the added pressure of learning during a stressful situation.  While I've never had drivers training, I did drive cranes and other large vehicles in my earlier years.  

We secured a contract driver from the dealer that I purchased my used motorhome from.  This is the second time they have provided a helpful, after the sale service, so I would like to give them a plug here, they are National Indoor in Lewisville, Tx.  I will go back there should I decide to trade in to a different rig.  Very positive experience.

We got back to the Dallas area Thursday evening and the Motorhome  arrived about an hour earlier.   Was able to get to the Ortho surgeon on Friday and  had my Surgery on Tues 10/16.  So I should be fine in 10-12 Wks!  No pickleball for about 6 mos. 😣

I did have RV return coverage with my Coachnet service...however it is only good for 120 days after leaving home.  How do they know that?  They ask you and if you don't know better you tell the truth and are refused coverage.   I believe someone said read all the print earlier.  The do offer unlimited coverage but it is extra.  I thought I had the premium service...lesson learned

The real depressing part of this is that after 7 mos on the road we were beginning to do a better job of longer term planning and staying at locations longer to reduce the amount of effort changing locations all the time.  Had the next 4 mos planned out and now  have to cancel some and when we finally do get to Florida there's not much I'll be able to do.   Oh well so it goes.  Finding the right balance is sometimes difficult.

Thank you all again.

Dave

Dave, It might be a good time to join FMCA. https://site.fmca.com/fmca-about

The travel assist is a free part of your membership. 

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

Read the fine print on these policies. I believe FMCA will only transport you in a 'Medical Emergency' to the nearest medical facility.

Yes you might benefit from reading the fine print.

Just a small excerpt.

Emergency Medical Evacuation or Repatriation means: a) the Insured Person’s medical condition warrants immediate transportation from the facility where the Insured Person is located (due to inability to obtain necessary medical care) to the nearest adequate medical facility where medical Treatment can be obtained; or b) after being treated at a local medical facility as a result of a Medical Evacuation, the Insured Person’s medical condition warrants transportation with a qualified medical attendant to his/her Permanent Primary Residence, to obtain further medical Treatment or to recover; or c) both a) and b) above. All transportation arrangements must be by the most direct and economical route.

https://www.sevencorners.com/docs/default-source/fmca_docs/fmca_brochure_id.pdf

Bill

2008 Newmar Mountain Aire model 4521
450 hp Cummins ISM
Allison 4000MH tran.
Towing a 2014 Honda CRV with a blue Ox tow bar

Home base Fort Worth Texas

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

-Mark Twain-

Archived