Airbag done

Vegas Teacher

I got my drivers side cab airbag done at southern tire Mart here in Vegas. 60.00 for the airbag and one hour of service 150.00 for the same job the Volvo dealership was going to charge me 4 hours of labor and even more for the airbag. They looked at my leaning problem while it was at southern tire Mart, told me I needed new leaf spring on the drivers side. I had also talked to the dealership about that, basically told me I needed a bricks truck and my credit card. Southern recommended a place that does leaf springs only, I called them and they told me probably 1500.00 or less. This was a lot less than the dealership. However they want me to bring it in so they can look at it. This is the only thing they do leaf springs on semi trucks, and that is it all day every day. 

So we will see what happens.

Later Cory Ossana 

1 hour ago, HERO Maker said:

Is that the rear cab bag?  That price they charged you is in line.  Too bad they didn't charge you for only the 1/2 hour it took!

I was happy with it, why does the dealership charge so much more? It does not make sense to me. I wish I had the same luck, tools and knowledge to do the work on my own truck. What kills me is my grandpa is probably turning over in his grave. He had his own mechanics shop and his own full service gas station. He even built his own race car from the ground up. The only thing I really learned how to do from him before he past on was change a flat, jump a battery, gap spark plugs and do an oil & lube job.

Later Cory Ossana 

I'm trying to figure out how a bad air bag took any diagnosing. If the cab was leaning, there had to be an air leak to go along with it. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Flyer and I changed the other air bag last May when I was over in Pahrump we also changed this one, however it popped out of place and the cab squished it, it was easier and less stress to habe a shop change it. I am not a mechanic, and honestly I don't enjoy turning a wrench that much. Wife also supports my decision and was good with this price. 

Hi Cory,

I have a question for you. You where talking about having the leaf spring replaced. Is your plan only to replace one spring ? I would think it would be best to have both springs replaced. That way the front of the truck can settle in together. I hope more guys will see this comment and make a comment them self. 

Best of luck,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

52 minutes ago, alan0043 said:

Hi Cory,

I have a question for you. You where talking about having the leaf spring replaced. Is your plan only to replace one spring ? I would think it would be best to have both springs replaced. That way the front of the truck can settle in together. I hope more guys will see this comment and make a comment them self. 

Best of luck,
Al

If you replace one spring pack with new and not the other, the truck will be higher on one side.

The place that does nothing but springs, will most likely replace just the broken leaf. They are also probably equipped to re-arch the other spring so they match on both sides.

2 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

If you replace one spring pack with new and not the other, the truck will be higher on one side.

The place that does nothing but springs, will most likely replace just the broken leaf. They are also probably equipped to re-arch the other spring so they match on both sides.

My drivers side is slightly lower than the passenger side, I offset it by loading the M I L on the passenger side.;)

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Sorry I was not clear. The truck was in the shop to have the airbag done, I saw it had popped out of place and I really did not have time to mess with it on my own. So instead of do the work myself I took it to Southern Tire Mart here in Vegas. While it was in the shop I asked the real mechanics to help me figure out why my truck leaned. They diagnosed the problem while it was in the shop for me. 

Since I am not a mechanic myself and I say a few responses down, I really don't enjoy doing the work on my truck that much. I am not rich but I make a decent living and can afford to let somebody do 150.00 worth of wrench turning while I am at work. I work all day teaching, train dogs on Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Sunday I have no desire to do physical labor.

However I do appreciate all responses. I love reading them!!!!! Keep them coming😎

Later,

Vegas Teacher

Archived