CSX Train Hits Semi at Crossing

RandyA

This happened about 2 hours ago not too far from our brick and sticks home.  No one hurt.  Video was from a dash cam.  Scary!!

https://www.facebook.com/8News/videos/2171242566228464/

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Bet he won't make that mistake again. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

It's these kind of morons that make me shake my head every time I see one of those "Bad crossings kill good drivers" billboards that other public safety morons put up to protect us from ourselves.  There are no "good drivers" that get hit by a train. 

Consider a train.  It is 13 feet wide, 16 feet tall, a mile long, with a blindingly bright light, an earsplitting horn you can hear from miles away, literally shakes the earth on approach, and runs predictably down these two shiny metal things we call railroad tracks clearly marked by a funny looking distinctive X shaped sign.  If you get hit by a train you are not a "good driver killed by a bad crossing", you are a moron and we thank you for cleaning out the gene pool.

Sorry, those billboards have been a pet peeve of mine for many years.

Hot Rod, I actually worked a train/pick-up truck crash in my youth where the driver told me that he stopped at the cross arms and looked at the train (coming from his left) and decided that it was moving so slow he could beat it. He went around the cross arms and proceeded to get hit by the train...coming from his right. He wasn't hurt but it removed the rear axle and tore the bed off his pretty little pick-up truck. It was really hard not to laugh. Gotta hate those double sets of tracks :P

Welcome to the shallow end of the gene pool. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

My father was telling me today about a friend of his who used to drive a whey tanker. One time he started to cross and the tractor died and would no start. I don't know all the details but the tank was ripped in half and he had abroken arm at least. So i showed him this video. Picture that accident but with 3000 gallons of whey (thick milk). Some times it's just bad luck.

Well now being the guy that rides in the cab of that train nothing makes your butt pucker more than having this view from the front window rolling along at track speed and your impact is a mere 15 foot in front of you.  Here is what it is like in the cab of a freight engine.     " SOB we are going to hit'em, Plug it!!!"  (put train into emergency) and yell, "hit the deck!" (lay on the floor of the cab) all the while holding your hand on the horn blowing it non stop until the train stops moving. 

Some of the tails I have heard in the past are pretty scary.  One time hitting a truck load of vodka catching the engine on fire.  Another time hitting a black top tanker covering the engine in hot oil including the windows to where it made the cab dark enough you could not see. Another where the trailer was full of large rolls of paper for a magazine company throwing them in all directions totaling out numerous cars in a parking lot also blowing the windows out of the front of the engine.  The worst a truck load of pipe or logs and they come through the front windows impaling the electrical cabinet causing 650 volts of sparks to rain down on the crew. 

So yes if you see anyone or there is anyone stuck on the tracks and no train is around, Please Please feel free to call the emergency number on the sign required at all public crossings in case of an emergency. If a collision is not stoppable do not and I repeat do not just stand there or run ahead of the point of the collision instead run straight away from it or the opposite direction so you do not make yourself a target of the flying aftermath.   Not to mention for those involved that are the cause of such accident, your insurance company will get a bill not only for the damage but any and all trains delayed because of it costing millions.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

I've been told that putting a jumper from track to track, be it jumper cables or a steel bar, sends a signal to the train that something's amiss ahead.  Is this true?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 9/11/2018 at 2:35 PM, rickeieio said:

I've been told that putting a jumper from track to track, be it jumper cables or a steel bar, sends a signal to the train that something's amiss ahead.  Is this true?

No this is not true to some extent it depends if the track is signaled or not if it is not then it does nothing. If it is signaled it depends on where the train as to what signals will do.  It is also against the federal law to do anything with the track you are not authorized to do. In other words the only people that can shunt a track is a signal man or management working with a signal person for testing purposes.  The only person that is allowed to do anything with a track is a track worker and signal persons. Even an operating craft person cannot only fired but fined if caught manipulating signal systems.

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

Archived