How not to kill your spouse during the time you are out RVing

David and Ellen

Most working people wonder how they will fill their time in retirement. After a few weeks of retirement most people wonder how they ever found time to go to work. Adapting to retirement and to RVing both come much more quickly than you think they will.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

There is never a shortage of things to do and being a RV'er new places to go.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Thanks to all who responded.  Being the first time doing a post David and I thought having a eye catching phrase would get responses.  We really don’t want to kill each other,enjoy spending time together doing all sorts of things ,but realizing this was going to somewhat be a life style change for the summers wanted to hear from others who have done it.  

Thanks for all your input.  Hope when we finally hit the road we meet up !

David and Ellen

DP/EP

6 hours ago, David and Ellen said:

Hope when we finally hit the road we meet up !

David and Ellen

We really are mostly friendly folks and I'm not sure how things went so far afield but I do hope that you found some helpful suggestions before the trend went so far afield. There really are a wide range of things one can do to stay busy and contented. I suspect that you are folks who might find volunteering to be a good complement to travel and there are so many interesting places that are seeking help that we hardly scratched the surface. Please don't give up on us.  ☺️

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

7 hours ago, David and Ellen said:

Thanks to all who responded.  Being the first time doing a post David and I thought having a eye catching phrase would get responses.  We really don’t want to kill each other,enjoy spending time together doing all sorts of things ,but realizing this was going to somewhat be a life style change for the summers wanted to hear from others who have done it.  

Thanks for all your input.  Hope when we finally hit the road we meet up !

David and Ellen

David and Ellen, I will second what Kirk said.  I was reading this second page of posts and found it amazing.  Don't reject this site based on your first few reads.  There is some good information on here if you are just starting out.  A large number of these folks either are full timers or have been.  You will figure out soon enough who are the whack jobs and you have to just ignore what they type or go into settings and block their ramblings.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

On 9/6/2018 at 9:18 AM, FL-JOE said:

You will figure out soon enough who are the whack jobs and you have to just ignore what they type or go into settings and block their ramblings.

I agree with what Joe said, the whack jobs do visist here regularly. You will learn to sort them out. Heck I saw one on here the other day that tried to justify cheating by claiming there were different levels. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Mrs. C and I have been married many decades and what we do on the road is usually the same thing we do at home.  The sticks and bricks need to be maintained, the RV needs to be maintained.  Groceries need to be bought in both cases, we go to the store.  We have our favorites trails, places to visit at home and we do the same when we travel.  We love our birding and wildlife photography at home and on the road.  Instead of the usual paths to bike or hike, we get to find new ones as we travel.  We have slightly different viewing habits when it comes to television, so we have a second TV both at home and in the TT.  While we both like to fish I like it a bit more, especially the catching part.  When she wants to kayak, I fish, usually where she plans to end her kayaking adventure so it makes it easy for us to find similar activities.  A few weeks ago we visited the Truman home in Independence, MO.  After that, we had planned on going to see the Truman Library and Museum, about a mile away.  She was getting tired so she walked back to the truck and I walked to the Library and she picked up the truck and caught up to me in the Library parking lot.  Sometimes that is reversed.  Sometimes you may find yourselves with different interests and if you both have transportation you can do them at the same time.  For us, that's easier to do at home where we have two vehicles.  As we've grown older we have found that we like being together more often than not, so when traveling we usually plan together our trip activities.  We don't full-time but we usually camp for about 4-5 months each year.

This is a great thread and thank you for asking this. We don’t have much experience yet for we just went full time last week. So far we have been busy doing chores and getting our house in order learning our RV, etc. At the point of comfort and taking in this great lifestyle hiking and getting to really know one another. Living off grid in Burlingame State Park in Rhode Island just no hookups really puts the necessary things as a priority. Figured that was a great way to start. We are to young to retire so we will be working our jobs in CT till the snow flies then we are on the road. Leap of faith. My wife is a photographer and I like learning anything. Rv projects keep me going, usually after extensive research on whatever the project is. For instance on my ajenda right now. Oil change on generator, brakes on motorcycle. We have a toyhauler so getting motorcycle secure in garage is high on list as well. Finishing up solar for Rv. Just to list a few. Many of these projects my wife is there helping me. This way we both know what goes into this lifestyle so we appreciate it more.  Not sure if this helps. 

On 9/3/2018 at 2:48 PM, sandsys said:

Don't underestimate the time you will spend planning where to go and when. I can spend a few hours a day just doing research on places to go. Then we have to put them in order and plan a route. Then we have to decide where we might spend the nights along that route. Then we have to enter locations into our GPS. None of that happens without using up time.

Linda Sand

As you pointed out in one of my first threads...a planner after my own heart. 😎

Archived