Garmin vs Rand McNally RV GPS

Twotoes

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the forum Iris. Wow it’s been almost 2 years since I started this thread. I did go with the Garmin and have been very happy with it. Had some trouble doing the map update. I bought mine at Camping World and it had old software. My laptop is old too.  Had to go to a friends house to do the update the software and maps. 

WARNING: when I went online on google to get connected to Garmin customer service I was sent to a web site that wanted my credit card to charge me $99 for the update. I disconnected and got out my documentation and called Garmin. They advised me that they have been having trouble with a ghost site. There is no fee. Do not give any financial info to anyone when doing this update. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

8 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

WARNING: when I went online on google to get connected to Garmin customer service I was sent to a web site that wanted my credit card to charge me $99 for the update. I disconnected and got out my documentation and called Garmin. They advised me that they have been having trouble with a ghost site. There is no fee. Do not give any financial info to anyone when doing this update. 

My reading of this is it is only partially true. My free updates say they are dependent on me doing them regularly. If I stop doing them they will stop being free. Read your fine print, people.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Linda, I had only owned the Garmin for one year and this was my first update. Garmin told me that the web site I was directed to by Google was a ghost site and not Garmin. The ghost site was trying to get my cc info and charge me $99. When I called Garmins 800 number I was able to update for free. So everyone beware of spam web sites. It was not Garmin who was trying to charge me. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

1 hour ago, Twotoes said:

Linda, I had only owned the Garmin for one year and this was my first update. Garmin told me that the web site I was directed to by Google was a ghost site and not Garmin. The ghost site was trying to get my cc info and charge me $99. When I called Garmins 800 number I was able to update for free. So everyone beware of spam web sites. It was not Garmin who was trying to charge me. 

I understand your were spammed. I was trying to point out that the free updates might have limits so being charged might not be a spam. But, you would have to do the reaching out to Garmin for the update for it to be legitimate. Garmin NEVER contacts you about doing updates. In fact, we have it on our calendar so we remember to reach out in a timely manner. We've owned our Garmin since 2008 but since we do updates twice a year we have never been charged. I read about one woman who did get charged because her Garmin had not been updated in quite awhile so her free update ability had expired.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 4/21/2018 at 9:48 AM, SWharton said:

I don't with Base Camp, too hard to use. We don't program in more than a day and normally a straightish route. If I need to add way points I just do it on  the Garmin, I have found it very easy to do vs. Base Camp.

I do not think that Garmin supports Basecamp anymore.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

• 1 year later...

I was a Rand McNally RVND GPS fan. I have two, one RVND 7 and one RVND 7730. Rand McNally states the useful lifespan of any of their electronics is 3 years, then all support is ended. Both my units had lifetime maps-now I know that equals 3 years.

There are aftermarket websites that unlock your RM GPS and install updated maps(unknown quality?) for a fee. Rand McNally company was bought out several years ago, can't remember who.

Edited by Ray,IN
corrected grammar.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

11 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Rand McNally company was bought out several years ago, can't remember who.

Teleo Capital

The sale of Rand McNally, a provider of ELDs and other products for the trucking industry, looks set to get the company out of bankruptcy after a highly complex process. ... The U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware earlier this week approved the sale of Rand McNally.            Oct 21, 2020  ~   Freight Waves

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Thanks Kirk! I thought the sale was further in the past than 2020. I do know I've bought my last Rand McNally GPS, but their paper maps are great IMO.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Has anyone figured out how to send map corrections to Garmin? 

I tried and got back a notice in my spam box that it was not accepted.  In reviewing comments on the subject, people have tried for months/years and finally given up.

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

15 minutes ago, jimnlin said:

If you install Garmin Express,

I have also started using their free Basecamp program for trip planning. It has a learning curve but seems to do pretty much everything and then downloads the route to your GPS.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, usbusin said:

Has anyone figured out how to send map corrections to Garmin? 

I tried and got back a notice in my spam box that it was not accepted.  In reviewing comments on the subject, people have tried for months/years and finally given up.

The GPS mapping software for nearly all GPS brands used to be outsourced  from NAVTEQ some years ago. Their website had a submission page for map suggestions/corrections back then, today that webpage seems to be gone.

This is the only valid link I now have: https://www.gps.gov/support/user/mapfix/devices-and-maps/

In your GPS setting look up your mapping information, it should state the source and date of your current map.

Edited by Ray,IN

4 hours ago, jimnlin said:

If you install Garmin Express, just connect your device to pc and Express will find your device and all updates will be downloaded.

Works on mac, too.

Linda

Ray,IN that is the site I used too.

I filled out the forms and it didn't work.  Oh well, such is dealing with big companies and not getting a live human or any way to chat or email. 

My home address is 1/4 mile  off!!

If someone uses any GPS other than Google they are lost 

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

On 7/10/2021 at 4:25 PM, usbusin said:

Ray,IN that is the site I used too.

I filled out the forms and it didn't work.  Oh well, such is dealing with big companies and not getting a live human or any way to chat or email. 

My home address is 1/4 mile  off!!

If someone uses any GPS other than Google they are lost 

My house is very plain on Google maps however the address is incorrect.😒

• 2 months later...

When it comes to RV GPS, Rand McNally and Garmin are the two most well-known manufacturers. Both of these items provide useful and high-quality performance, leaving little space for debate over which is superior. Nonetheless, consider the following suggestions.

- Rand McNally provides larger devices, allowing them to add higher-quality speakers. These are useful if you want to answer more calls while using the hands-free mode.
- Garmin devices include information on sites of interest, RV parks, and other locations. Rand McNally, on the other hand, doesn't have anything to give in this regard.