Cruise control revisited

chief916

Well after 4 months and 2 different maintenance shops they still can't figure out why it still shows that I have my brakes engaged on both of their computers thus making it so that my cruise control will not engage.  Spent over 5 hours yesterday at Magnums Trucking in Wilson NC trouble shooting the problem.  The boss man finally had to get involved after 2 Tech's couldn't figure it out.  He also ended up stumped.  He wants to put a spare ecm on it to be sure that my ecm isn't messed up.  He also suspects maybe a speed sensor might be the culprit.  Anyway...he wanted to keep it for a few days but the DW and I have a wedding to go to in Greensboro on Friday so no can do.  He ask me to come back next week cause he needs time to try to get a wiring schematic and to check ECM compatibility.   Anyone have any ideas?  When I left I asked what I owed for his and their time..he said don't worry about it.  I like these guys because they are concerned about customer service and satisfaction.  More to follow on this next week.

Ben

6 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

Are you singled?  And if so what happened with the extra wheel sensors?  Were they removed and the ECM re-coded or were they bundled and tied up into the harnesses and left?

That's a good question.  From what I can tell from the VIN it's supposed to have a 12.7 Detroit...it don't...it's 11.1.  then it says it came ordered as a single axle and it does.  I have no way of knowing other than what the VIN says.  When I take the truck back next week I will be sure to ask that question.  These guys are big business...24-7 operation on towing and recovery as well as commercial trucking maintenance.  One would think they would have thought the same thing.  I will be sure to ask the question when I go back.

11 hours ago, beemergary said:

If you have manual trailer brake control. The handle on steering column. If its moved it applies brake switch. This has happened to me  mand lots and lots of newbie truckers.

I do have the handle... I've heard it referred to as the "Johnny brake".  I use it to apply manual operation to my Hayes controller.  The controller is down low on top of the dog house and it takes a stretch to get to it.  Thank you for this info.  I will pass this on to the Tech's next week.

I'm guessing that the troubleshooting also checked the "Cruise Disconnect" switch on the brake line? There is 2 switches on our truck, one N.O, that activates the brake lights on pressure, and one N.C. to turn the cruise off on brake application. There should also be one under the clutch peddle, but that won't show up as brakes applied.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

4 hours ago, jeffw said:

I would hope the computer diagnostics would be able to say where the brake application is coming from. Has anyone investigated that?

To be honest with you...I really don't know.  When it's mechanical.... I'm all in...when it comes to whiz bangs and electrical...not so good.  I will pass all the thoughts on to the Tech's.

16 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

I'm guessing that the troubleshooting also checked the "Cruise Disconnect" switch on the brake line? There is 2 switches on our truck, one N.O, that activates the brake lights on pressure, and one N.C. to turn the cruise off on brake application. There should also be one under the clutch peddle, but that won't show up as brakes applied.

Hi Darryl... I'm not to familiar with all of the switches but didn't you send me a couple of pics awhile back showing how you hooked up your rig for a place to plumb for a maxbrake sensor?  I believe it was you but that was some time ago.

Nope, not me.

Edit to add: Follow the line from the "Brake Application Pressure" gauge. The brake light switch, and cruise disconnect switch will share a common line with it. This is what allows the brake lights to come on, while the O/O is saving his truck brakes, and using the trailer brakes.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 3/16/2018 at 11:24 AM, Darryl&Rita said:

Nope, not me.

Edit to add: Follow the line from the "Brake Application Pressure" gauge. The brake light switch, and cruise disconnect switch will share a common line with it. This is what allows the brake lights to come on, while the O/O is saving his truck brakes, and using the trailer brakes.

Ok will check this out this week.  Thank you.  Oh... sorry bout the ID.  I obviously confused you with someone else.

Archived