Tesla Semi live reveal in 11 minutes (8PM PST 11/16)

Jeff.Sloan

13 hours ago, Jemstone said:

OK noteven, what is "floofy" coffee?  It sounds like a Starbucks offering that might involve Hazel nut and a special coffee bean grown only in the temperate zone of Bulgaria.

Correct :D

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

17 hours ago, Imurphy907 said:

If one of these trucks was hauling a reefer they would use some of that power to charge the batteries. Sure it wont be much but it would be worth a handful of KWs.

Since the tractor is set up to pull a specially designed and streamlined trailer, I can think of no reason why the reefer would not be built with its own power source, rather than impact the range of the tractor.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

I would assume the refer would have its own power source. They usually do. Many of them are 10kw 3phase generators to run the compressors and blowers. I was saying you would put a plug on them to allow a few KW of power to run a charger for the tractor batteries while driving. would help extend the range a bit. 

If you had a designated route that was port to loading dock within a city it could make sense to make a refer that would run off the trucks battery. but you would need just the right route to make that feasible.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

On 11/22/2017 at 11:04 AM, Imurphy907 said:

I would assume the refer would have its own power source. They usually do. Many of them are 10kw 3phase generators to run the compressors and blowers. I was saying you would put a plug on them to allow a few KW of power to run a charger for the tractor batteries while driving. would help extend the range a bit. 

If you had a designated route that was port to loading dock within a city it could make sense to make a refer that would run off the trucks battery. but you would need just the right route to make that feasible.

Sorry. I miss read what you were meaning.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

Electric car owners are about to get mad. There free charging days are about over. I know here in West Tn. They have credit card readers. And getting ready to put those on the charging stations. Buddy of mine told me, they had the owners hooked. Now to reel them in and set the hook.

Also back when electric cars started. It was told, every car would have to show how many miles ran.  Then pay road tax on those miles. You can bet the owners will be paying that soon also.

Pete

event.png

On 11/23/2017 at 12:39 PM, Pete Kildow said:

Electric car owners are about to get mad. There free charging days are about over. I know here in West Tn. They have credit card readers. And getting ready to put those on the charging stations. Buddy of mine told me, they had the owners hooked. Now to reel them in and set the hook.

Also back when electric cars started. It was told, every car would have to show how many miles ran.  Then pay road tax on those miles. You can bet the owners will be paying that soon also.

Pete

Oregon was talking about installing GPS devices on cars so they could bill mileage due to losses in fuel tax. Everyone got all bend out of shape over privacy. Seems they love to impede on rights till its their turn.

Co worker of mine who lives in Seattle has a Leaf. They have charging stations at his parking garage. Charging is free, but they are smart stations. If you stay in the spot more than 30 minutes after its done charging you get fined in 30 minute increments by the parking garage, and have to pay up on your way out of the gate. He said there was a tesla owner who would park there all day and that's why they came up with that rule. No talk about charging for power yet... He has solar on his house and says it offsets all and more of this electric bill. And got the Tax credit on the car, and the solar install. So we(tax payers) forked out a lot of money for his setup.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

The charging for miles driven has been in the works for over 10 years now.  The electric cars are the driving force for this change.

The only thing we can hope than when they start to charge by the miles, they drop the gas tax.

I can see some good points to reading the miles traveled and where from communicating with the car computer.  There would be no more need for stopping at toll booths because the toll can be collected at the same times as the miles.

For the econo-nuts, the mileage rate could be adjusted by vehicle weight.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

5 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

For the econo-nuts, the mileage rate could be adjusted by vehicle weight.

That's the most logical statement yet.......B)

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Interesting article.   My kid is an electrician and he mentioned that our power grid is not ready for a large influx of electric (or coal powered in my province)  vehicles..he mentioned that a major upgrade would be required... 

For the truck...  electricity is my soft spot but I am wondering if Tesla's numbers are real world...

http://driving.ca/tesla/auto-news/news/motor-mouth-the-inconvenient-truth-about-teslas-truck

. Arctic Fox 29-5T

. Beagle co-pilots - Faffy and Lulu

Archived