When dumping

Just Don

When dumping my 5th wheel black tank I get a smell inside my camper some times really strong,

but not all the time. mostly in bathroom.
I've owned 4 5th wheels, but never had this problem.

So any suggestion from the brain rust?

Yes I know black tank smells..

2012 Nuwa Champgne 38CKRD

2012 Dodge Laramie 3500

Full timing since 11/20/2012

event.png

It could be the toilet rubber gasket on the floor is not sealed properly. As the tank is being drained it is also burping and the back pressure may be leaking through the seal, especially if the vent pipe is undersized. The only other connection to the black tank is the roof vent pipe and drain line.

Greg

Check under your bathroom sink for one of these.  Holding Tank Internal Vent

They let air into the black tank as you dump. The spring loaded valve inside can get clogged or wear out.   You can find it in the plumbing section of most small and and big box hardware stores.

I have two in my MH, bath and kitchen.  Changed them out every few years.

Good Luck.

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

14 minutes ago, rockylarson said:

They let air into the black tank as you dump. The spring loaded valve inside can get clogged or wear out.   You can find it in the plumbing section of most small and and big box hardware stores.

Good Luck.

I believe those are for the grey tank only . Both bath and kitchen sinks , along with the shower and laundry , use those vents . 

The black tank has only the roof vent .

Goes around , comes around .

I don't think it will be found on your black tank.  They are really for grey tanks on RVs.  A sticks and bricks home uses those, when needed, but then the whole sewer system is one.  They are to be mounted above the traps to allow atmospheric pressure to enter the system making it possible for a quick drainage.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

If I leave the bathroom roof vent open I get a strong odor when dumping.  I think due to the fact I am using a black tank flush system that will force foul air out the roof (tank) vent.  I just make sure the bathroom vent is closed before I dump.

Lenp

USN Retired
2002 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom

2012 F150 4x4

2018 Lincoln MKX

2019 HD Ultra Limited

10 hours ago, gjhunter01 said:

It could be the toilet rubber gasket on the floor is not sealed properly. As the tank is being drained it is also burping and the back pressure may be leaking through the seal, especially if the vent pipe is undersized. The only other connection to the black tank is the roof vent pipe and drain line.

Greg

I don't understand what you mean by "burping the back pressure". If you have ANY pressure in the black tank you have a big problem and even if you used a 3/4" pipe for a vent it would work well. Even if the vent were completely plugged there would only be a vacuum on the tank when you dumped it.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

13 hours ago, Mntom said:

I don't understand what you mean by "burping the back pressure". If you have ANY pressure in the black tank you have a big problem and even if you used a 3/4" pipe for a vent it would work well. Even if the vent were completely plugged there would only be a vacuum on the tank when you dumped it.

When you dump your tank if it were truly vented, it would discharge at full pipe flow. Most drain lines I've seen dump at about 3/4 pipe volume due to air pressure rushing in to counter the vacuum in the tank. We have sometimes used a mobile septic service for a pump out and they use a extra vent pipe on the pump out line to counter the vacuum. I'm only going by what the mobile guy said, but he claimed if the extra vent line was not used that the roof vent would not equalize the pressure quick enough and risk collapsing the black tank. The mobile guy also suggested that someone hold the toilet flush open while he was pumping out as extra precaution to prevent tank collapse. Keep in mind the mobile septic system actually sucks out the tank, not just gravity flow.

A 3/4 vent line I don't believe would keep up with a full 4" discharge line? I believe the vent line is more to equalize tank pressure during toilet flushing and releasing pressure during the decomposing process taking place in the tank naturally. My observations may be wrong here, just using common sense not study data to solve the smell issue.

Greg

Well, Greg, IF you are using a pump and causing a higher flow than is possible for gravity dumping it does change things. A suction pump will cause even more of a tank vacuum than gravity dumping can. Either way, you are not pressurizing the black tank. Quite the opposite. Far as gravity dumping, I stand by my statement that a 3/4" vent will get the job done.

If you have a 4" line you still have a 3" line coming out of the tank. That alone will cause the 4" line to not be full.

VisitedStatesMap.gif

OK, let me try one more time,   If you are using a black tank flush there should one of these, possibly under your bathroom  sink, designed to prevent backflow of water.  If not working properly then fumes can escape.  

Valterra A10-3050 Check Valve/Vacuum Breaker

The reviews are pretty clear that it solved this issue for some.

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

1 hour ago, rockylarson said:

OK, let me try one more time,   If you are using a black tank flush there should one of these, possibly under your bathroom  sink, designed to prevent backflow of water.  If not working properly then fumes can escape.  

I wouldn't think anyone would want that valve in the bathroom . It should be in line , in the water bay where the flush inlet is .

Goes around , comes around .

On 10/23/2017 at 10:20 AM, gjhunter01 said:

Greg

Thanks Greg

I think replacing this would help mine since it is 5 years old.

I used to be younger lol and wearing out.. I think my spring is gone also!

2012 Dodge Laramie 3500

event.png

On 10/23/2017 at 11:54 AM, rockylarson said:

Good Luck.

Thanks Rocky

This is a good suggestion regardless if it helps with this it is still a good ideal being 5 years old.

2012 Dodge Laramie 3500

event.png

7 hours ago, Mntom said:

Well, Greg, IF you are using a pump and causing a higher flow than is possible for gravity dumping it does change things. A suction pump will cause even more of a tank vacuum than gravity dumping can. Either way, you are not pressurizing the black tank. Quite the opposite. Far as gravity dumping, I stand by my statement that a 3/4" vent will get the job done.

If you have a 4" line you still have a 3" line coming out of the tank. That alone will cause the 4" line to not be full.

Ok Tom, I get you don't like my theory on the cause of the smell. What is your theory to solve this smell issue?

Greg

7 hours ago, rockylarson said:

I believe this is only used on gray tank systems that don't have a roof vent. If you look under the bathroom sink you should see the vent valve is connected to the drain from the sink which goes into the gray tank. The black tank system uses a roof vent, I believe due to methane gas being potentially dangerous if vented inside a close space.

Greg

6 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

I wouldn't think anyone would want that valve in the bathroom . It should be in line , in the water bay where the flush inlet is .

That valve is in the bathroom of my trailer. It is to be located as high as possible (per code) to assist with the anti-siphon part that it is supposed to protect. Far as any smell coming from it, I suppose it is possible, but highly unlikely since it is in the fresh water supply for the flush. I would expect to see some nasty build up due to the flush line would not be completely dry.......... The other valve that people are thinking of is an "Air Admittance Valve". That is the one that goes in the drain line right after the trap to act as a vent.

Greg, I am not trying to argue, but I am trying to explain that your theory doesn't 'hold water'. When you dump you are pulling a slight vacuum on any tank you are dumping. Far as a theory of my own, I don't have one. I had one trailer that would sometimes have a terrible odor after dumping. I never did figure out which tank was the offending one either since the grey tank will really stink. I do wonder if it is an air admittance valve on the grey tank that gets air pushed back by it when the drain valve gets closed before all the liquid is out of the line??

VisitedStatesMap.gif

A small leak anywhere will smell. Occasionally I have had a smell and fluid was around threads when drain fitting goes in sewer line. Also if wind coming down, down draft, when dumping, vent will smell badly. If company leaves footvalve open too long, it stinks too. We know better

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Just Don. I am just telling you from very unfortunate prior experience.  I had a black valve that did not leak when closed but when open it would leak around the handle inside the underbelly of our unit.  It would then smell for a while after dumping. In our case the smell did not seem to come form the bathroom but in the area of the valves.  It wasn't a lot of leaking so the insulation  was soaking it up. Things kept getting worse so I finally pulled the underbelly and it was not a pretty picture. Probably not the same problem you have but something to think about. 

Dave and Lana Hasper

In my experience, gray water odor is FARRR worse than black water.  Are you getting the bad odor while dumping only the black tank, or dumping both tanks and assuming it's the black tank?  The poop, I mean plot, thickens.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

15 hours ago, Daveh said:

Just Don. I am just telling you from very unfortunate prior experience.  I had a black valve that did not leak when closed but when open it would leak around the handle inside the underbelly of our unit.  It would then smell for a while after dumping. In our case the smell did not seem to come form the bathroom but in the area of the valves.  It wasn't a lot of leaking so the insulation  was soaking it up. Things kept getting worse so I finally pulled the underbelly and it was not a pretty picture. Probably not the same problem you have but something to think about. 

Thanks Dave that is sure possibility I was joking around about what I said honest.

This winter I'm going to inspect that area.. Also take off walls in the basement area and look for any leak just to check.

It get's boring in the RGV in the winter time.

Experience F/T rving is more than what most rv techs have.

2012 Dodge Laramie 3500

event.png

1 hour ago, spindrift said:

In my experience, gray water odor is FARRR worse than black water.  Are you getting the bad odor while dumping only the black tank, or dumping both tanks and assuming it's the black tank?  The poop, I mean plot, thickens.

Yes only the black tank really get's into the coach, but not all the time so I need to figure why,

I do plan on checking into all the suggestions just have to get to winter home.

2012 Dodge Laramie 3500

event.png

Archived