whats this about over 96" wide restrictions on roads?

Itsa Mr.E

The 102" width is allowed on the National Highway Network, which includes the Interstates, most US highways and selective state highways.  This is where trucks have to be allowed.

Now obviously a 102" wide truck may need to get somewhere not on a National Highway network road.  What gets involved here is the "Right of Access" which means that a truck can use the shortest route from the National Network to the destination.

RV Manufacturers have been using the 102" width for quite a while to get more interior space.  So at 102" width, an RV has to follow the truck rules.

Just for the record, awnings do not count in the 102" width limit, nor mirrors and wheel nut covers.

Is this highly enforced? No.  Maybe if you get jammed in some seriously tight road situation.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

doesn't 8'5.5"= 101.5,    not 102 when it comes to the legalese.  There must be a reason they stop short of 102 by 1/2inch?

Jan and Rocky Larson, Volunteers, USFWS , 9,300 hours each. 29 refuges since 2006. 2 new each year.
2004 Allegro 30DA, Workhorse 8.1, Banks, 2012 Jeep Liberty, Blue Ox Aladdin, 300 watts solar, 5 Optima group 31 AGM's, 2000w PSW inverter

Philippians 4:11-13 KJV

The Federal max width rule considers 102" to be the same as the international 2.6 meter (102.36") standard, so apparently there's a little "fudge" room in the actual measurement.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

On 9/29/2017 at 8:25 AM, Itsa Mr.E said:

I'm reading that there are some roads that restrict vehicles that are over 96" wide. Can anyone give me some information on this issue as my Minni Winne is 102: wide?

It's easy to understand. Some roads are not made for vehicles 102" wide, just like some bridges can only carry so much weight. The laws on width, not on the National Network, is controlled by State law for the State you are referring to. They probably have sections that allow the cities and counties to limit weight and width on specific roads. Its easy, just read the signs on the road. Surely you have seen a load zoned road somewhere...there are narrow roads too. 

On 9/29/2017 at 8:54 AM, noteven said:

That link applies to Commercial vehicles and the National network. 

On 9/30/2017 at 8:24 PM, Randyretired said:

If they ever decide to enforce the 96" rule they will be busy.

What "rule"? Do you know of a state where 96" is the "rule"? 

On 9/30/2017 at 8:43 PM, mptjelgin said:

For a short period of time TxDOT was enforcing the 96" max width on the Port Aransas Ferry. After turning away quite a few boats and RV's the s**t hit the fan and the enforcement was relaxed...

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Go to the Port Aransas Ferry's web page and it plainly says 

• The maximum overall weight per vehicle is 80,000 pounds, the maximum height is 13.6 feet, width is 13 feet and length is 80 feet (no permits accepted).

It's interesting that they do not allow permitted loads since I'm not sure how you get a 13ft wide vehicle down the road without a permit (legally) but if you can do it, they will let you

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

43 minutes ago, Big5er said:

What "rule"? Do you know of a state where 96" is the "rule"? 

https://www.goodsamcamping.com/plan/sizelimits.aspx

This website and others indicate 8' maximum width in some states.  I haven't researched it and frankly I don't care enough to do so.  As I stated if they decide to enforce it they will be busy.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Just about every state is 96" off of the National Network.  I speak from investigating road limits for the HDT Resource Guide in the state codes.

lengths, widths, and weights are determined by the state that the road is in, not the state your are registered in.

Again, the enforcement is very lack.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

You might want to double check that. Using Randys list ( not guaranteed to be 100% accurate) it shows only 8.

Passenger vehicles may be limited to 96" but trailers and motorhomes don't fit the definition, at least in my state.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

https://www.dps.texas.gov/cve/width.htm

Texas 621.201 Subchapter C Part (a) says 102" for vehicles other than (b) and Part (b) says passenger vehicles limited to 8'.

Just as a start.  Remember I said that the National Network is 8" 6" and many of the "offical" charts for limits are generalized or old.

Take for example in the link, Maryland has  2-vehicle combined length as 55'.  Since 2006, it has been 65'.

Maryland 24.104.1
(m) Noncommercial power unit and travel trailer combination.-
(1) Subject to paragraph (2) of this subsection, a combination of noncommercial vehicles consisting of a power unit and a travel trailer may not exceed 65 feet in length.

Mark & Dale
www.dmbruss.com

9 hours ago, Big5er said:

I'm not sure what you are talking about. Go to the Port Aransas Ferry's web page and it plainly says 

• The maximum overall weight per vehicle is 80,000 pounds, the maximum height is 13.6 feet, width is 13 feet and length is 80 feet (no permits accepted).

It's interesting that they do not allow permitted loads since I'm not sure how you get a 13ft wide vehicle down the road without a permit (legally) but if you can do it, they will let you

This was over 20 years ago. A good friend of mine was made Deputy District Engineer for TxDOT in the Corpus Christi District and somehow ended up with this issue. I understand that tape measures were being used on boat trailers (mostly) and RV's and folks were being turned away. This wasn't a law enforcement initiative but rather ferry operations. As I said the issue escalated rapidly and the practice was discontinued. It may have led to the current 13' rule, which I agree seems odd without a permit.

I see that the Boliver Ferry rules show an 8'-6" max width. I can see where a ferry deck hand might not know (for instance) that mirrors and awnings don't count against that 102", and decide to disallow a vehicle from boarding. I imagine that is what was happening for a short time at Port A. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

• 2 months later...

how wide?

do you want to be the one that must give way in a emg cause the other guy is 102 inches wide?

you must facter in curves as well as length.

sure can go past in a straight line. both rt tires on each coach on the edge of the tarmack. add in a corner. somebody is going off pavement in the crash.

a bit more to think about here.

yes i drive a big truck for a living and have had to use narrow back country roads,

state hwys are only 10 feet wide lanes.

federal hwys are 12 feet wide lanes.

county roads can be only 8 feet wide.

then single laned roads.

Archived