Inop cruise control on 97 Volvo wia 64

chief916

Hope some of you folks that have been around for awhile and have traded up over the time you've been over the road can pass on some knowledge about the cruise control system on the early model Volvo's.  When I am parked and the service brake is applied...I can turn the cruise switch on and can bump the motor up to a high idol.  When going down the road I can't get the cruise engaged,  My buddy who I hang with and works on the big stuff put his Snap-on puter onto the truck and it said that the cruise was off.  He went through the whole system with a test light checking all the pressure switches and the only thing He found was a pressure switch behind the brake valve panel that kept releasing air.....the bottom plug on  the sensor was missing.  I ordered a new one and put it in but still can't get the cruise to engage.  My question is this,,,,,if you get a check engine lite on for a battery in the ecm but don't correct the fault does the bad switch also throw a fault and if you don't clear the fault after you replace the switch...will the ecm override the replaced switch by not engaging???  Do I need to clear the faults to get the cruise to engage?  Sure would appreciate knowledge out there from you guys.

OBTW.....I just happened to mentioned the Kansas rally to the DW and she said if we can get some of these issues ironed out on the truck she would feel better bout making the run.  as it is now...we're making a run for Charleston on Saturday for the eclipse.  good thing is..its only 5 hours from the house and I believe I can dead stick it in to there from here.  Will put a post in after we get there.  Thanks for your help. 

Well..I did like you guys suggested and I lifted the foot brake and it engaged.  Went to my mech right then.  He said there was no sensor on the clutch but that my foot valve on the brake was shot.  We replaced with a new one and got it to engage but only one time.  Driving down to Charleston tried numerous times to make cruise engage but no go.  I am sure it's something simple.  I will do some more trouble shooting when I get back home.

Vr

Ben

Put a small bungie cord around the pedal to hold it up until the adjustment gets figured out. That worked for me until I could get an adjustment.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On 8/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, Bob A said:

On the 98's u have to apply the foot brake before moving or cruise won't engage

I'll try this tomorrow.  My cruise engages and works great but I have never played with it.  

It's usually always switched on, I just push the button on the end of the stalk and it engages.  I do know that ANY pressure or touch of my clutch or brake pedals and it disengages.

Normal operation- Start truck, have foot on brake pedal while pushing brake valves in.... accelerate to road speed, touch cruise and it engages.

So does this cover the "Apply foot brake before moving"?  I don't know and I'll try it tomorrow.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I tried the bungee cord around the brake pedal and kept it like that all the way home like that...nada....I also sprayed the clutch pedal sensor with wd40 but still nothing.  Did not have any glue to stick a dime to the clutch.  Gonna order a new sensor switch in the am.  You said a button on your stalk......all my switches are on my dash panel.  They're batt switches or toggle if you will.  Gonna get them tested as well.  I will keep you all posted and thanks for your help and ideas.

V/r

Ben

On 8/21/2017 at 7:07 PM, Bob A said:

On the 98's u have to apply the foot brake before moving or cruise won't engage

Same on the '99. As I recall the instructions on my visor say apply the foot brake for 15 seconds to activate the cruise control. On occasion I have fired up in a rest area and driven out without touching the brake. Then no cruise. I found if there is no traffic I can apply the brakes lightly for the 15 seconds and then it will engage.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Archived