Your passwords are probably a lot worse than you think

RV_

Password breaches have become commonplace. Here's how to check the status of your passwords and, more important, keep your identity safe.

This is a useful article but if you don't read articles just go here, and enter each of your email addresses and see if you are compromised: https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Then read the article:

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/find-out-if-your-passwords-been-hacked/?ftag=CAD3c77551&bhid=20640562413884385817807471581031

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

YW!

I was pwned by two with my main personal email and none by RV@ AreV roadie. comma (Sp int.). I was shocked because my RV@ is public and the email is on the bottom of many of the pages on it.

You?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I use Lastpass to generate and store my passwords. They are usually long and complicated and different for each and every site.  I use 2 step verification on everything that's important like, bank accts, email, amazon, Lastpass etc.The only password that has to be one I remember is for the Lastpass. I change my passwords often which is easy to do with Lastpass maybe 3 to 4 times a year. Works well and I've been using it for 2 to 3 years now. There are other programs out there too like Keepass and others. 

Garry
2018 Grand Design Imagine 2600RB
2017 Chevy Silverado 1500

This was on last nights CBS news.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bill-burr-passwords-guidance/

Out of 12 of my email addresses 2 had  breaches :(

Both were MS And I had changed password on both of them just a few weeks ago.
So I don't know if the breach happen before or after the change. :(

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

Since I have been using the same email address from about the beginning of the Internet, I have 4 hits on the survey.  But pay attention to the statement is that they were checking for the presence of the email address.  They have no way of determining whether the password is "cracked".

My passwords get changed every so often usually forced by Microsoft or the email provider.  Then I have to ripple thru all the places I use.

I use LastPass to manage my logins.  One it remembers them and Two I know where I need to change them if needed.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

2 hours ago, Mark and Dale Bruss said:

Since I have been using the same email address from about the beginning of the Internet, I have 4 hits on the survey.  But pay attention to the statement is that they were checking for the presence of the email address.  They have no way of determining whether the password is "cracked".

Well, there is no way for the user to know without seeing the dumpfiles (from darknet or similar).    The site knows because it's parsing the dumps.  

In some cases, like the 500k accounts exposed in an earlier Yahoo hack, the passwords were stored as plain text and so are directly accessible in the dumps.  In some they were unsalted hashes which makes it harder;  common passes would be identified at once from password and common language dictionaries.   Salted hashes usually make it impractical to crack for normal value targets.

--

2017 Promaster 159" , 570W mono, 220AH FLA

blog | RVwiki project

I also use LastPass after a recommendation from this site. I have a nice long complicated password for that but it's the only one I have to remember. There are a couple of moderate passwords I use on accounts I don't have any personal information but they are still numbers and letters and capitals...just not random.

2007 Keystone Springdale 245 FWRLL-S (modified)

2000 F-250 7.3L SRW

Cody and Kye, border collie extraordinaires

Latest departure date: 10/1/2017

Find us at www.nomadicpawprints.wordpress.com

Password Managers  Really?

What happened  to using your mind?  In the old days I could remember 25 or 30 phone numbers, now they are all on the contact list and I cannot remember my DW's cell number most of the time.  Passwords I have maybe 30 different accounts and they are all different and I remember them.  Why would you want to list all your passwords on someone else's storage device?  Or give them to someone else to manage?  My thoughts are that if you create a ball buster password in your mind and then make slight deviations to it that only your mind will know why, why do you need a manager?

Just thoughts

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Use to do when I was young.  Knew every part number of every time replaceable item on a Huey.  Use to.

Now I use LastPass.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

I used to make a mental note for each password. Now they are still noted but I keep losing the notebook.

The breaches included passwords in several of them. They just used the emails as a unique identifier.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable testing my passwords on a website that could be set up to collect them under that as a ruse, then selling them along with my email or IP address.

Insofar as security, I have read and also use, familiar words grouped as a nonsense phrase with only two or three unrelated words.

Like "Jumboesthetics" Jumbo esthetics. Or Redtiresindigestion"Red tires indigestion.

Or make up a sentence that makes sense and use only the first letters and numbers. "I belong to 2 rv clubs that have tips and tricks" becomes "Ib22rcthtat" or "At 65 I'm getting 2 old for this spit" becomes "A65Ig2ofts" I make all to/too/two become "2" and use caps only on the first word.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Use 3 for 'e', use 0 for 'o", @ for 'a', ! for 'l', $ for 'S', etc.  

I used the 'test password strength' for phrases similar to what I'm going to use - - turns out when you make it 10 characters long with a couple of symbols, couple of numbers, a capital or 2, the time to crack gets huge.

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Why not use a password management program that makes it almost effortless to use an excruciatingly difficult and unique password for each website? I love RoboForm but there are a number of good ones, even free ones. A huge additional benefit of such a program is how easy it makes it to move from one computer to another.

Me, a stranger? Nah, just a friend you haven't met.

Other strategies include using one password for all but with the inclusion of part of the site name.
This site for example:  my2dogs(mutt&jeff)rvnet
My password would be; my2dogs(mutt&jeff) plus rvnet 
For Vanguard: my2dogs(mutt&jeff)vangu  etc.  This is only an illustration and there are variations on this theme that are easy to remember but hard to crack.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2017 at 0:48 AM, Barbaraok said:

Use 3 for 'e', use 0 for 'o", @ for 'a', ! for 'l', $ for 'S', etc.  

Caveat - avoid this combination:

• words that can be found in a dictionary / common phrases; and
  • all characters replaced

There are dictionary attacks that translate words to "l33t speak" on the fly using mutation rules.  

--

2017 Promaster 159" , 570W mono, 220AH FLA

blog | RVwiki project

Archived