Security System

VegasFlyer

Has anyone installed a remote security system in thier Scandinavian Chariot?

I searched through prior posts and was surprised that there was nothing related to a remote security system?

They are generally not a challenge to install, was curious if anyone had particular experience with any particular system being better or worse than others when it comes to the Volvo.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

Has anyone installed a remote security system in thier Scandinavian Chariot?

I searched through prior posts and was surprised that there was nothing related to a remote security system?

They are generally not a challenge to install, was curious if anyone had particular experience with any particular system being better or worse than others when it comes to the Volvo.

I took my truck to a local car stereo shop with that same question. He said he didn't see any reason a standard automotive system wouldn't work. They don't really interface with the vehicle that much at this point anyway. I plan on adding one to my truck as some point in the near future since my truck did not have keyless entry from the factory. I'm a big fan of the Viper two-way systems. The remote will vibrate/chime if there is an issue on the truck (when the remote is within range, of course). The one below is what I'm leaning toward for my truck.

The shop manager also said he was confident they could get the remote start to work. That would be great for those times when the truck has been sitting long enough for the bags to leak down. I have had them on LGT diesel trucks in the past and the delay in the start procedure worked well with the glow plugs.

https://www.viper.com/car/securityremotestart/product/5906v/viper-color-oled-2-way-security-and-remote-start-system

"Willy Mammoth" - Volvo 730, Sold

Heartland Cyclone 4000 Toy Hauler
T-Minus 26 years and counting to being a full timer.

Thanks Brit,

As they say, great minds think alike! We have installed a few different generations Viper systems on cars and pickups and do like the product. The remote start could also come in handy.

The truck we are picking up has power door locks on both sides, though I doubt it has keyless entry? Having the power locks in will cut down on a security system install for sure though.

It will be interesting to see if anyone posts any hands on experience, having one on thier truck.

John

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

I put a real alarm system in mine. http://www.diycontrols.com/p-6195-agm-gsm-cellular-remote-alarm-module-rm200gsxmusb.aspx

These are meant more for stationary use but I've had it in my Truck Conversion motorhome for several years. It uses a sim card and everything is done through text messaging. I arm it by sending a text. It sends me a confirmation text that it's armed. If somebody sets it off it sends me a text. It sends me a status text at the programmed intervals (I set it for every 7 days at noon). I can send it a text asking what the system status is. I wired it directly to my 12 volt system since the 120 volt transformer that comes with it puts out 12 volts. I also have a backup battery in it in case somebody thought they could cut my battery cables to circumvent it. If it loses the main power it sends a text saying so. I don't have any audible devices hooked up to it. I don't want to scare off a crook. I want to catch them. You could easily install the unit in either your truck or trailer. And you could easily run a connection between them so you can have triggers (motion or door contacts) from the other unit back to the system. I have no connection to this company. And actually I was kind of mad because the first generation I got had some bugs. After about a year I got fed up with the bugs and contacted them and they had upgraded the system but it was not backward compatible. I ended up buying the newer system, they did give me a slight discount since I had the buggy unit. Initial programming was a bit difficult for my non-tech brain. But I did manage to get it all set up. I also bought a hi gain antenna since we are out in the sticks sometimes and wanted the best signal possible. I think I pay about $70 year for the sim card plan. It's a little more cumbersome to arm/disarm than just a single button to push on a remote. But the advantages outweigh that for me.

'03 United Specialties truck conversion, Freightliner FL112, Cat C12, 10 sp Autoshift, 295" w/b, 26' living quarters.

St. Paul, MN

www.bobwinsor.com

For something left unattended for awhile I'd probably add a GPS tracker to it. Likely hidden well and powered off either the battery or its own battery fed by a solar panel to keep it charged.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

If I ever get around to it a Ravelco is the only system that I would trust...but that is just me.

My issue with GPS trackers is that they are too easy to block:

GPS Jammer

And yes, they work. We have tested several on our own vehicles and our dispatch center can't track our vehicles even with the cheapie versions. Slip it in the cigarette lighter and poof, your gps tracking system is useless. I have not seen a jammer used on a Lo-Jack equipped vehicle. But that system is too regionally used for me. It's great IF the area you are in uses it.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

My insurance carrier will replace all the valuables, minus the deductible and some depreciation, so I can replace them. I am more worried about losing the vehicle. But then again, my truck and your MH are very different and the contents is very different also.

You would really be amazed at the number of tractors stolen right off the lots of many truck stops while the driver is inside showering or eating.

2014 smart Fortwo

You would really be amazed at the number of tractors stolen right off the lots of many truck stops while the driver is inside showering or eating.

Which the GPS tracker would at least allow you to recover it....hopefully, intact.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Pull ecm fuse by battery if it's a worry some area. No way they are smart enough to figure that out. If they are no alarm will stop them then.

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

Which the GPS tracker would at least allow you to recover it....hopefully, intact.

Rarely totally intact...at least in my town They don't steal them for joy rides and too many companies have trackers/gps's. The more companies that go to electronic logs, the more common GPS trackers are and therefore the more common GPS jammers have become, even by drivers trying to fool those logs. Jammers are too easy to use and by the time you find it, its a shell. I found one two weeks ago that we assume they were stripping as they drove. The inside was gutted. They took the drivers laptop, printer, cb, and tv. They stopped somewhere and took all the chains, binders and straps off the trailer, and even yanked the pretty chrome air cleaners off the side. They replaced the drivers seat with a 5 gallon bucket and parked it at a truck stop on the other side of town. Rough guess was 3 hours from stolen to recovery, 45 of that would have been just the drive across town.

I used to think that our "unique" and altered trucks would keep them safe. Maybe from deportation across the border, but not from these guys. They will pump your tanks dry while you sleep in the sleeper, too. That is why I put locking fuel caps on my truck. Yeah, they can punch a hole in the tank, but full fairings make that more difficult and it that makes noise. Plus it is harder to pump so I "hope" they will move along....that and I rarely sleep in truck stops. Right now I have a rather large and unfriendly german shepherd that likes to keep his kong toy under my truck. I am hoping that and the fence with deter the fuel thief. That work truck of mine parked about 20 ft away doesn't hurt either.

2014 smart Fortwo

If I ever get around to it a Ravelco is the only system that I would trust...but that is just me.

GPS Jammer

And yes, they work. We have tested several on our own vehicles and our dispatch center can't track our vehicles even with the cheapie versions. Slip it in the cigarette lighter and poof, your gps tracking system is useless. I have not seen a jammer used on a Lo-Jack equipped vehicle. But that system is too regionally used for me. It's great IF the area you are in uses it.

Big5er, I'm with you on this one. That Ravelco is the only way to go. Vehicle will absolutely not start without the plug. Each plug is unique for your vehicle as well,...so I can't use my plugs to start your truck with. We have them in all of our vehicles. DW hates that I actually unplug them in my trucks,...but I always remind her, that they'll at least be there in the morning.

2001 Kenworth T600, Cat 3406E, 525 hp, 18sp, 3.55 gear ratio
2012 41' Keystone Fuzion 399 Toyhauler
2005 Chevy 3500 DRW Crew Cab
2006 Dodge 2500 Mega Cab
2006 Dodge 3500 DRW Quad Cab
2010 Kawasaki Teryx
2012 Kawasaki Teryx 4

That work truck of mine parked about 20 ft away doesn't hurt either.

I think you work truck is a bigger anti-theift device than the German Shepard.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

Rick,

My German Shepherd got offended when I told him what you wrote! lol

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

LOL Rick, you haven't met Jax. :lol: 150lbs of meth head.

He was rescued from some lovely meth addicts who stole a truck in Mississippi to bring themselves and their dog to Texas. We sent them back....he stayed. Some days I still think he resents it....or he is just having flash backs. :D He is as friendly as can be, until you get withing about 2 ft of the fence. Of course Dred thinks he is great. She sticks her head through the fence and he licks her face. That really pisses off the other shepherd, Samantha.

Jax_zpsbrd3otol.jpg

The angle makes him look small, he really isn't.

2014 smart Fortwo

An open petcock on the fuel system is hard to beat for the price.

The vehicle is going nowhere.

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

GPS Jammer

We looked into the Ravelco unit and will probably have one installed next month, we have to bring our Toyhauler down to SoCal to have some work done on it. It will be there about a week, so that will work great to have the Ravelco unit installed. They do not have any established installers in Nevada.

Great referral Big5er, thanks!

John

Southern Nevada

event.png

Great referral Big5er, thanks!

Always glad to help other people spend money VF :)

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived