04 Haulmark Restore Project

Egon

1 hour ago, Egon said:

Haha, its more of a labor of hate. I enjoy doing this, but ideally I'll be living in it for free (minus insurance gas and park fees) and flipping one once per year. I'm doing this because I'm stuck in Clovis NM for the next 5 years and the housing market here is truly a mess, so flipping RVs keeps me occupied and gives me a dwelling. 

OK, makes sense now, I was beginning to think the record heat wave had gotten to you and cause a loss of upper math function in your head.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of the Heat Wave To all that are out there please be careful in all that you do. That 115+ can get you quick. We will be out that way in Oct so we want that really Hot  weather cooled off by then!! I'm really enjoying your rebuild. Keep up the great work and the informative pictures.  Pat

The Old Sailor

End of Week 2 Update:

Removed a lot of wallpaper, very difficult because its heat bonded, but in my opinion its an essential step of a good restore job. Simply painting over the wallpaper can be a waste of time because it will eventually curl up, and removing all the wallpaper allows me to see any hidden water damage. Wallpaper usually won't peel up until the plywood underneath is rotted, and then its too late and the plywood underneath needs to be removed. 

To remove heat bonded wallpaper, simply get a razor blade and make long cuts floor to ceiling. This will divide it into 8 inch wide vertical strips. Then peel at a corder until the top half is loose. Pull the strip down in one piece slowly. Some say heat guns help but I've had limited success.

Thanks to removing the wallpaper, more small sections of water damaged plywood were discovered and will be removed/repaired prior to painting

Edited by Egon

Need to remove the cabinets to get the wallpaper behind it. You can see water damage in the top left from the slide out. Slide out is getting removed to replace broken rollers. When that is removed I'll work on the drywall behind it. Removed a lot of trim too. Need to start labeling it. Will paint and re-apply

aDvJiFp.jpg

Edited by Egon

This was a very lightly damaged area. Water stains under window, no mold/rot/soft spots - Not sure if I should cut out the panel, sand it, spray with mold killer or just paint over it. Let me know what y'all think

hIleQI6.jpg

Edited by Egon

• 2 weeks later...

Week 3: Engine Work

Got a CHK ENG light on my way home, and I bought the truck with two other known failures (WHEEL SPIN and TRACTOR ABS FAIL) that needed to be remedied. Also felt low on power.

First shop (RV place) ran codes for 2 failed injectors and said they couldn't work on a 55 series. Pushed me over to Stewart Stevenson in ABQ. They gave me no estimate for labor and handed me a $6600 writeup for parts (6 new injectors, new pump...) I considered an engine swap to a reliable 60 series.

I then went to another shop (2nd to none service) out of town to get a second look. In that 45 minute drive the injectors must have become unclogged, because they re-ran codes and found only that I was getting my CHK ENG light for a missing Jake brake, which the current engine doesn't have. The original owners apparently swapped the 55 with another 55 somewhere along the way. 

Low power was fixed with a new clamp to patch an air leak. Good as new for $200. Better than the 10k I thought it would be. Rest of errors listed above fixed for 1K total. Never been happier to spend a grand

• 7 months later...

Some Haulmark units were FRP walls, fibreglass reinforced plywood. I couldn't tell from the pics if yours was that style construction or not. The unit I am in is FRP and so rotted in so many places it is toast. Will replace it when it breaks in half. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time