Who has been the most....Lost? ? ?

Dollytrolley

3 hours ago, Big5er said:

Once in Colorado (with the old truck and bumper pull trailer) I let the GPS turn me down a paved two lane road across a mountain. A few miles later it became a two lane gravel road but it was a nice smooth gravel road so I kept going. After a bit it turned into a one lane gravel road with pull outs so if you met another car head-on you cold back up to one. I got where I was going and as we checked in the clerk asked what route we took. I told her and she replied "Oh, it's open? They must have graded and opened it yesterday. It's been closed all winter."

Those are the best roads for seeing the countryside.  Last summer, we took a road like that out of Lake City, CO, Slumgullion Pass.  We were driving our F-150.  We saw some of the best scenery ever, and later were told that many western movies had been filmed there.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On April 20, 2017 at 11:53 AM, BlueLghtning said:

@Heavymetal, having north up vs direction of travel up is easily configurable when you have the google map screen up. Just hit the little compass icon on the screen. it will change from north up to course up and you can toggle between them 

Also this is configurable on most GPS's in settings, usually while on the map screen, go into settings and find that feature. Most default to course up, but if you prefer, you can change to north up.

I like north up when I'm just using the map as assistance as it always helps me keep my sense of direction. 

I have tried this but all it does when I touch the compass on screen is reorient the the map to perfect North, but when I threw it down really hard to the ground I think it went to direction of travel for a split second before the screen went dark. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

On 4/21/2017 at 2:15 PM, rickeieio said:

Those are the best roads for seeing the countryside.  Last summer, we took a road like that out of Lake City, CO, Slumgullion Pass.  We were driving our F-150.  We saw some of the best scenery ever, and later were told that many western movies had been filmed there.

Is Slumgullion Pass a most excellent motorsickle road or what...?

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

My best one was using a garmin for the first time through Chicago. Evidently sensitivity to location wasn't too good.  We got to explore the lower east side on Friday night.  Transient's welcome signs on motels, was great to get back on the toll roads through Chicago again.

Didn't trust it after that episode.

17 hours ago, Heavymetal said:

I have tried this but all it does when I touch the compass on screen is reorient the the map to perfect North, but when I threw it down really hard to the ground I think it went to direction of travel for a split second before the screen went dark. 

Hey Heavy.....

Maybe you might want to simplify your navigation a bit.......just pick up a couple of old ADF's and a RMI or two and then a kneeboard and a plotter and a couple of Eversharp pens and a leather jacket and some spiffy Snidley-Whiplash-Pilot-Side-Zipper-Highheel-Boots and a case full of paper charts and then in your spare time read the instructions below........(oh ya.....the instructions below only work when the airmass calm in NO WIND conditions......oh don't hold your breath)

ADF:

The automatic direction finder (ADF), long found on most civil aircraft panels, doesn’t aid navigation in an entirely straightforward way.

Although the ADF needle points directly at low-frequency non-directional beacons (NDB), it doesn’t indicate a heading to the station. To get the magnetic bearing to the station, the ADFs fixed compass card requires the pilot to take the relative bearing to or from the station (the angle between the aircraft’s nose or tail and the NDB), and then add the relative bearing to the current magnetic heading to get the magnetic bearing to the station.

An ADF with a rotatable card partially solves this problem by allowing the pilot to rotate the card to match the heading on the heading indicator. While this provides a magnetic heading to the station, the pilot must reset the heading indicator to the magnetic compass in level flight every ten minutes or so, adding an additional manual task.

RMI defined

The radio magnetic indicator (RMI) is one solution to the ADF's shortcomings. The RMI combines three components: a fluxgate, a heading indicator, and a relative bearing indicator.

Some RMIs have two needles like the one pictured on this page; others only have one needle. The RMI can be used for VOR navigation as well as ADF navigation. Most single-needle RMIs have a switch that allows the pilot to select either an ADF or VOR station to which the needle can point.

In Flight Simulator, all of the RMIs are dual-needle and only provide information for the ADF and VOR 2. You cannot select a different radio for each needle. The ADF needle is yellow and the VOR needle is green. The VOR needle points to a VOR station and the tail of the needle indicates the current radial.

The fluxgate

The fluxgate is a detector that is sensitive to magnetic north. It is mounted in a relatively non-magnetic place in the airplane to minimize magnetic interference. The fluxgate constantly and automatically updates the RMI’s heading indicator, eliminating the task of turning a compass card or correcting the RMI’s heading indicator to the magnetic compass.

With the magnetic bearing indicator pointing at an NDB, the current heading to or from the station is readily apparent. The ADF needle indicates the magnetic heading to the station and the tail of the pointer indicates the magnetic heading away from the station. Depending on whether the pilot wants to fly to or from the station, he just turns the aircraft to the heading indicated by the ADF pointer.

NDB approaches and RMI

An RMI can simplify flying NDB approaches by eliminating the need to add magnetic heading calculations into the IFR task load. The aircraft’s position relative to the station is always clear, whether flying to or from the station.

In the example here, the pilot is flying outbound for a course reversal. With the tail of the ADF needle centered at the top of the RMI, the magnetic heading is the reciprocal of the final approach heading. The final approach course is 157 degrees, the outbound heading is 337 degrees. A right-hand procedure turn will make the heading 022 degrees and the tail of the RMI needle will point to 337 degrees.

Upon reversal of the procedure turn, the heading is 202 and the head of the RMI needle points to 157. As the needle moves closer to the left wingtip the pilot turns the aircraft onto the final approach course, centering the RMI needle on the final approach heading of 157. Remember that the pointer always points at the station and the RMI compass card displays the current magnetic heading. If the needle points ahead of the wing the station is ahead of the aircraft.......... Similarly, if the needle points behind the wing the station is behind the aircraft.

RMI and DME Arcs

Flying a DME arc can also benefit from reference to the RMI. Until reaching the radial that represents the final approach course, the pilot flies the arc by keeping the aircraft a specified distance away from a VOR/DME station.

In the example pictured here, there is an arc seven nautical miles (7 DME) from a VOR and the final approach course is 109 degrees. The pilot flies the arc by keeping the RMI needle pointed towards the left wingtip while flying a series of short straight legs.

A DME arc provides an 8-mile wide corridor, but the goal should be to stay within one nautical mile of the arc.

As the pilot flies a straight line tangential to the arc, the DME distance begins to increase and the needle moves behind the wingtip. When the needle is 10 degrees behind the wingtip, the pilot turns 20 degrees in the direction of the arc, which moves the RMI needle 10 degrees ahead of the wingtip. The pilot holds that heading until the needle falls behind the wingtip again, and then repeats this procedure until it is time to turn inbound on the final approach course. In all of the examples, a no-wind situation is assumed.

Simple and easy-to-use, it’s little wonder why the RMI is on the instrument panel of many complex aircraft today.

Flight Simulator aircraft with RMI:

Beechcraft Baron

Beechcraft King Air

Boeing 747-400

Shucks Heavy......bet you cant wait to get your ADF / RMI Installed and fired up.......

And you guys only thought you were lost...........

Drive on..........(whats my WCA ........(Wind Correction Angle))

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

54 minutes ago, Dollytrolley said:

Hey Heavy.....

Maybe you might want to simplify your navigation a bit.......just pick up a couple of old ADF's and a RMI or two and then a kneeboard and a plotter and a couple of Eversharp pens and a leather jacket and some spiffy Snidley-Whiplash-Pilot-Side-Zipper-Highheel-Boots and a case full of paper charts and then in your spare time read the instructions below........(oh ya.....the instructions below only work when the airmass calm in NO WIND conditions......oh don't hold your breath)

ADF:

The automatic direction finder (ADF), long found on most civil aircraft panels, doesn’t aid navigation in an entirely straightforward way.

Although the ADF needle points directly at low-frequency non-directional beacons (NDB), it doesn’t indicate a heading to the station. To get the magnetic bearing to the station, the ADFs fixed compass card requires the pilot to take the relative bearing to or from the station (the angle between the aircraft’s nose or tail and the NDB), and then add the relative bearing to the current magnetic heading to get the magnetic bearing to the station.

An ADF with a rotatable card partially solves this problem by allowing the pilot to rotate the card to match the heading on the heading indicator. While this provides a magnetic heading to the station, the pilot must reset the heading indicator to the magnetic compass in level flight every ten minutes or so, adding an additional manual task.

RMI defined

The radio magnetic indicator (RMI) is one solution to the ADF's shortcomings. The RMI combines three components: a fluxgate, a heading indicator, and a relative bearing indicator.

Some RMIs have two needles like the one pictured on this page; others only have one needle. The RMI can be used for VOR navigation as well as ADF navigation. Most single-needle RMIs have a switch that allows the pilot to select either an ADF or VOR station to which the needle can point.

In Flight Simulator, all of the RMIs are dual-needle and only provide information for the ADF and VOR 2. You cannot select a different radio for each needle. The ADF needle is yellow and the VOR needle is green. The VOR needle points to a VOR station and the tail of the needle indicates the current radial.

The fluxgate

The fluxgate is a detector that is sensitive to magnetic north. It is mounted in a relatively non-magnetic place in the airplane to minimize magnetic interference. The fluxgate constantly and automatically updates the RMI’s heading indicator, eliminating the task of turning a compass card or correcting the RMI’s heading indicator to the magnetic compass.

With the magnetic bearing indicator pointing at an NDB, the current heading to or from the station is readily apparent. The ADF needle indicates the magnetic heading to the station and the tail of the pointer indicates the magnetic heading away from the station. Depending on whether the pilot wants to fly to or from the station, he just turns the aircraft to the heading indicated by the ADF pointer.

NDB approaches and RMI

An RMI can simplify flying NDB approaches by eliminating the need to add magnetic heading calculations into the IFR task load. The aircraft’s position relative to the station is always clear, whether flying to or from the station.

In the example here, the pilot is flying outbound for a course reversal. With the tail of the ADF needle centered at the top of the RMI, the magnetic heading is the reciprocal of the final approach heading. The final approach course is 157 degrees, the outbound heading is 337 degrees. A right-hand procedure turn will make the heading 022 degrees and the tail of the RMI needle will point to 337 degrees.

Upon reversal of the procedure turn, the heading is 202 and the head of the RMI needle points to 157. As the needle moves closer to the left wingtip the pilot turns the aircraft onto the final approach course, centering the RMI needle on the final approach heading of 157. Remember that the pointer always points at the station and the RMI compass card displays the current magnetic heading. If the needle points ahead of the wing the station is ahead of the aircraft.......... Similarly, if the needle points behind the wing the station is behind the aircraft.

RMI and DME Arcs

Flying a DME arc can also benefit from reference to the RMI. Until reaching the radial that represents the final approach course, the pilot flies the arc by keeping the aircraft a specified distance away from a VOR/DME station.

In the example pictured here, there is an arc seven nautical miles (7 DME) from a VOR and the final approach course is 109 degrees. The pilot flies the arc by keeping the RMI needle pointed towards the left wingtip while flying a series of short straight legs.

A DME arc provides an 8-mile wide corridor, but the goal should be to stay within one nautical mile of the arc.

As the pilot flies a straight line tangential to the arc, the DME distance begins to increase and the needle moves behind the wingtip. When the needle is 10 degrees behind the wingtip, the pilot turns 20 degrees in the direction of the arc, which moves the RMI needle 10 degrees ahead of the wingtip. The pilot holds that heading until the needle falls behind the wingtip again, and then repeats this procedure until it is time to turn inbound on the final approach course. In all of the examples, a no-wind situation is assumed.

Simple and easy-to-use, it’s little wonder why the RMI is on the instrument panel of many complex aircraft today.

Flight Simulator aircraft with RMI:

Beechcraft Baron

Beechcraft King Air

Boeing 747-400

Shucks Heavy......bet you cant wait to get your ADF / RMI Installed and fired up.......

And you guys only thought you were lost...........

Drive on..........(whats my WCA ........(Wind Correction Angle))

I knew there was a reason I never completed my IFR ticket...?

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

5 hours ago, Buscrusher said:

I knew there was a reason I never completed my IFR ticket...?

Amen to that. I spent my life in the Infantry with a 1:50,000 grid map a protractor and a  compass humping through the woods, mountains and deserts. When the Army switched over to a GPS and stopped really teaching land NAV I never saw so many lost souls in my life. When soldiers started dropping munitions on top of themselves in Iraq and Afghanistan because they were calling in the grid they saw a the gps we had to give emergency map reading classes in the middle of a combat zone. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Back in the 80's, I flew a helicopter from Waldport, Oregon to Oxnard, California on what SHOULD have been about a 7 or 8 hour flight.  It wound up being a 7 day trip, due to a major storm that hit the entire West coast.

The helicopter was a McDonnell Douglas 500D (think Magnum PI), that was an aircraft with amazing capabilities, except for being equipped with any sort of navigational instruments because it had just came off of a logging project and all non essential for flight instruments had been removed because of the heavy jarring the aircraft receives during a logging job.  The aircraft was mainly used primarily for external load lift work, like firefighting, rescue, geological survey.  In those missions it would have a lot more instruments to help find your way around, though it was never certified as an instrument platform, so all flights had to be conducted in visual flight rules (VFR).

As to being lost, there were actually three separate parts of the flight that became "interesting" 

Cape Medocino

Cape Mendocino is a remote area along the California coast that does not live up to the stereotypical beach scene.  The cape is roughly one hundred twenty miles of uninhabited rugged shoreline with minimal sand beach areas.  This area has claimed a large number of shipwrecks along the entire West coast, mainly due to unpredicted weather changes.

We took off from Crescent City, to the North and planned to land in Fort Bragg, CA with about half a tank of fuel.

To set the scene here, we had spent the past two days sitting in a hotel, waiting for the weather to break.  When the Flight Service Station said there was a small window in the storm, that they predicted to last about four or five hours, we jumped at it, because we only needed about an hour and then we could get inland where it wasn't quite as bad.

After leaving Crescent City, things did not look that bad.  The weather was holding, there were nice sandy beaches and we were cruising along at 130 knots flying slightly offshore to avoid a few crazy people flying kites.

That lasted about thirty miles, which we later found out is where the cape actually starts.  The weather slowly started tightening up with the ceiling lowering from 1,000 feet down to about 300 feet.  

We decided to turn around and go back to Crescent city, to find that it had actually gotten worse behind us, so we turned back South and slowed down and worked our way South.  At times, we were playing Helen Keller hover taxiing from large boulder to large boulder as the visibility jumped from not bad to downright scary.  The problem was that there was absolutely no where to land, as we were below the cliffs of the shoreline and all there was where we were at, large rocks and larger waves.

After making our way down to the bottom of the cape, we found not such a menacing shoreline and started to see signs of civilization and actually had some visibility, but there we couldn't get above the power lines that run along the coast highway and had eaten up most of our half tank fuel reserve.

luckily, just as the low fuel warning started to blink, telling us that we had fifteen minutes of fuel, backed up by our watch, asking us why we chose that career path, we saw a beautiful yellow glow in the fog, it was a Best Western Hotel.  We hovered across the coast highway, above the power lines, that were contrast by the yellow glow, and landed on a grassy area by the sign.

The best way to describe the wind and weather, would be that when we ran across the small parking lot to check in, the lady checking us I asked what kind of car we had.  When we told her we had just landed the helicopter outside, she asked "There's a helicopter outside?".  We had landed about one hundred and fifty feet from her office, but the wind and rain had drowned out the noise.

We wound up camped out there for three days.

More to follow.....

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

2 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Back in the 80's, I flew a helicopter from Waldport, Oregon to Oxnard, California on what SHOULD have been about a 7 or 8 hour flight.  It wound up being a 7 day trip, due to a major storm that hit the entire West coast.

The helicopter was a McDonnell Douglas 500D (think Magnum PI), that was an aircraft with amazing capabilities, except for being equipped with any sort of navigational instruments because it had just came off of a logging project and all non essential for flight instruments had been removed because of the heavy jarring the aircraft receives during a logging job.  The aircraft was mainly used primarily for external load lift work, like firefighting, rescue, geological survey.  In those missions it would have a lot more instruments to help find your way around, though it was never certified as an instrument platform, so all flights had to be conducted in visual flight rules (VFR).

As to being lost, there were actually three separate parts of the flight that became "interesting" 

Cape Medocino

Cape Mendocino is a remote area along the California coast that does not live up to the stereotypical beach scene.  The cape is roughly one hundred twenty miles of uninhabited rugged shoreline with minimal sand beach areas.  This area has claimed a large number of shipwrecks along the entire West coast, mainly due to unpredicted weather changes.

We took off from Crescent City, to the North and planned to land in Fort Bragg, CA with about half a tank of fuel.

To set the scene here, we had spent the past two days sitting in a hotel, waiting for the weather to break.  When the Flight Service Station said there was a small window in the storm, that they predicted to last about four or five hours, we jumped at it, because we only needed about an hour and then we could get inland where it wasn't quite as bad.

After leaving Crescent City, things did not look that bad.  The weather was holding, there were nice sandy beaches and we were cruising along at 130 knots flying slightly offshore to avoid a few crazy people flying kites.

That lasted about thirty miles, which we later found out is where the cape actually starts.  The weather slowly started tightening up with the ceiling lowering from 1,000 feet down to about 300 feet.  

We decided to turn around and go back to Crescent city, to find that it had actually gotten worse behind us, so we turned back South and slowed down and worked our way South.  At times, we were playing Helen Keller hover taxiing from large boulder to large boulder as the visibility jumped from not bad to downright scary.  The problem was that there was absolutely no where to land, as we were below the cliffs of the shoreline and all there was where we were at, large rocks and larger waves.

After making our way down to the bottom of the cape, we found not such a menacing shoreline and started to see signs of civilization and actually had some visibility, but there we couldn't get above the power lines that run along the coast highway and had eaten up most of our half tank fuel reserve.

luckily, just as the low fuel warning started to blink, telling us that we had fifteen minutes of fuel, backed up by our watch, asking us why we chose that career path, we saw a beautiful yellow glow in the fog, it was a Best Western Hotel.  We hovered across the coast highway, above the power lines, that were contrast by the yellow glow, and landed on a grassy area by the sign.

The best way to describe the wind and weather, would be that when we ran across the small parking lot to check in, the lady checking us I asked what kind of car we had.  When we told her we had just landed the helicopter outside, she asked "There's a helicopter outside?".  We had landed about one hundred and fifty feet from her office, but the wind and rain had drowned out the noise.

We wound up camped out there for three days.

More to follow.....

John........Get ready to copy...........your number is: #0o0o0o0o0o0o0o00o02ScudrunnerProtectionProgram..........my number is just before your number........

I used all my lives decades ago and you, it looks like, have borrowed some folks "saves" as well...

I know you have had a good life with whirlygigs but I have had some bad rides with god-like whirly-boys but like you seems like we some how cheated death.

Once I was captive in a 500D and my Pile-it entered into a maze of mid-west thunderbumpers and hail was falling in all quadrants so..........My man finds a huge tree and we scoot in right under the canopy and watched in terror as golf-ball size hail beat half the leaves and some of the limbs off "our" tree.........I was not overjoyed but "Buck Rodgers" just smiled and said lets get out and pull the trash out of the main and tail rotor and get outa here........do not try that in a fixed wing........

Tag your it.......don't forget your......number...

Drive on.........(no end to fish stories or.......scud-running stories)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

At best so far in life my navigation endeavors have been suitable to stay alive ....so far and being a retired geezer I try to limit most of my travels to remote back roads of the Western states with +2,000 miles of fuel plus a Samurai. a Honda Quad and of course IF we get really lost Dolly-the-paint-horse can lead us to the nearest farm store....... (However, Dollymomma "informed" me this morning that we will be spending our anniversary this year in Paris France.......((rather try Paris Tx, but not  nice to change anniversary plans....)) 

But.......when it come to L O S T stories the one below IS........ THE...... epic tale of LOST and FOUND ........ 

On 22 December 1978, a small Cessna 188 aircraft, piloted by Jay Prochnow, became lost over the Pacific Ocean. The only other aircraft in the area that was able to assist was a commercial Air New Zealand flight. After several hours of searching, the crew of the Air New Zealand flight located the lost Cessna and led it to Norfolk Island, where the plane landed safely.......

Jay Prochnow, a retired US Navy pilot, was delivering a Cessna 188 from the United States to Australia. Prochnow had a colleague who was flying another Cessna 188 alongside him. The long trip would be completed in four stages. On the morning of 20 December, both pilots took off from Pago Pago. His colleague crashed on take off, but was unharmed. Prochnow landed and set out the following day to Norfolk Island.

When Prochnow arrived at the region where he believed Norfolk Island was, he was unable to see the island. He informed AucklandAir Traffic Control (AATC), but at this point there was no immediate danger. He continued searching; after locating more homing beacons from other islands, he realized his automatic direction finder (ADF) had malfunctioned and he was now lost somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. He alerted AATC and declared an emergency.

There was only one aircraft in the vicinity, Air New Zealand Flight 103, a McDonnell Douglas DC-10 travelling from Fiji to Auckland. The flight had 88 passengers on board. The captain was Gordon Vette, the first officer was Arthur Dovey, and the flight engineer was Gordon Brooks. Vette knew that if they did not try and help, Prochnow would almost certainly die. Vette was a navigator, and at the time of the incident he still held his master navigator licence. Furthermore, another passenger, Malcolm Forsyth, was also a master navigator; when he heard about the situation he volunteered to help. As neither Prochnow nor the crew of the DC-10 had any real idea of where the Cessna was, the crew had to devise creative ways to find it. By this time, contact between both aircraft had been made on long range HF radio. Prochnow had crossed the international date line, and the date was now 22 December.

Vette & Forsyth  was able to use the setting sun to gain an approximate position of the Cessna. Vette & Forsyth instructed the Cessna to point directly at the setting sun. The DC-10 did the same, and noted the difference in heading between the aircraft as four degrees. After making an allowance for the differing altitudes of the aircraft, the difference in sunset times between the aircraft and Norfolk Island was also noted. This data allowed the crew to calculate that the Cessna must be south west of the DC-10 by about 400 nautical miles. About 25 minutes after turning in that direction, contact on short range VHF radio was established. This had a range of 200 nautical miles. It was hoped the DC-10 would be making a vapour trail to make it more visible. After contacting Auckland it was determined that weather conditions were not suitable for a trail. Brooks knew that by dumping fuel they could produce a vapour trail. As the search was getting more and more desperate, they decided to try it. Prochnow did not see the trail, and it was starting to get dark. Vette wanted all the passengers to be involved, so he asked them to look out of the windows and invited small groups to come to the cockpit.

As it got darker and darker, Prochnow considered ditching, but Vette did not want to give up. So they also used a technique known as "aural boxing" to try to pinpoint the small plane; this took over an hour to complete. Once it had been done, they had a much better approximation of Prochnow's position. The DC-10 used its strobe lights to try to make itself more visible to the Cessna. It took some time, but eventually Prochnow reported seeing light. This was not the DC-10, it was an oil rig, and Prochnow went towards it. This was identified as Penrod, which was being towed from New Zealand to Singapore. This gave Prochnow’s exact position. After some confusion about the exact position of the Penrod, it was finally established that the estimates of the crew of the DC-10 were very accurate. Prochnow was able to make it to Norfolk Island with his remaining fuel. He touched down on Norfolk Island after being in the air for twenty-three hours and five minutes.

Sadly in the airline world of today the above assist would never happen for many reasons........and of course for the most part the only master navigators left....... are little black boxes........

Drive on........(did you note the EXACT time of the sunset.....today)

Personally, I have never been lost before. I always know exactly where I am. On a few occassions though I HAVE had my house move on me. Taking a walk for a couple days, coming back and my rig is not where I left it without even so much as a note. I think it's just it's way of letting me know it's feeling neglected and never moves very far. Generally never more than a couple miles in any given direction so it's really just making a nusiance of itself at my expense.

I've thought about marking a waypoint on my little handheld Garmin, but then again... I like to travel light on walkabout. Thinking about it in depth... it wouldn't really make any difference anyway if it's no longer at the last known waypoint. Seems like an effort in futility. We still find a way to get along.

Having a little "space" and freedom to explore your surroundings without necessarily knowning what's between "A" and "B", or even when you'll get there, can be rejuvinating. It's the best part of our chosen lifestyle, IMHO. Don't be afraid to turn off your gadgets every now and again. I guarantee you'll eventually "get there"... wherever "there" actually ends up being.

Yeah well, once upon a time when I was driving commercial- I went like hell to get to my stop on time in Hackensack NJ. Got there, no address. UUF DA!  BOL said Hackettstown...........

MapQuest THAT screw up. Went right past it on I80.

2000 Volvo 635 A/S, N-14 Cummins
"The Phoenix"
'03 KA 38KSWB

http://s918.photobucket.com/user/sibernut/library/?sort=6&page=1
Furkids- Sibe's CH. Sedona & Tseika
dolphins.jpg

14 hours ago, Yarome said:

On a few occassions though I HAVE had my house move on me. Taking a walk for a couple days, coming back and my rig is not where I left it without even so much as a note. I think it's just it's way of letting me know it's feeling neglected and never moves very far.

Reminds me of a call I went on years ago. A guy moved out of state and leased out his mobile home. The tenants sent him a letter, said they were moving out. He came back a month or so later to fix the thing back up so he could rent it again and it was gone. The whole dang house was just gone. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Well it seems like while I've been down chasing down perpetrators that ran off with a chunk of my mother-in-law money this thread became somewhat lost…….

Anyhow I have one of my Stone Age stories that I could tell about a guy that got lost while he was sitting in his office chair in his office and not even moving.......

Another  Chap by the name of Ronald Reagan in  the early 1980's terminated about 13,000 air traffic controllers that's when the fun begins…...

We had several offices up and down the East Coast and a couple of them we're in the New York City area and out on Long Island so the kid here got fly and a lot of crappy weather  and heavy traffic often single pilot and this with the air traffic control situation being very tense most days worse some days resulting in  version of flying  hell for all concerned……..

The morning of this flight was grim……..blowing snow and too many folks wanting to go flying so it was hard to get a slot in the flight plan que but eventually I got up into the snow storm and started threading my way up to LaGuardia Airport NYC along with way too many aircraft so controllers started sending us on various delay vectors trying to sort us out like sheep loading into a narrow chute…...

Now NY controllers on a good day can be grumpy and this was not a good day so it was best to stay sharp on the radio and not tick-off a controller........when all of a sudden a fellow with a  DEEP southern D R A W L came up on the radio and S L OOOWLY  said .....

N  E  W.....Y  O   R  K.......A P P R OOO C H.....T W I N   P I P P E R RR  November 24688 P A W  PAPA ...Iz  W I T H  U ....L E V E L .......N I N E R   T H O U S A N D...........(click mic off).....

Now not a sound came from the radio for about TEN Seconds and every pilot held his breath because talking slow to a NY controller is a sure way to have a bad day.........

Then a voice dripping with VENOM OM  came back from ATC like a machine gun, twin pipernovember24688papa, readycopynewclearance?.......(gulp this poor pilot is dust)......next the radio crackles.......N  E  W    Y  O  R  K   A  P  R  OOOOO C H .....N  O  V  E  M  B  E  R 2  4  6  8  8  P A W  P A  P A  .......Iz   R E A D Y   T O    C O P Y.........Click

Oh god the controller now is in purple with rage and spits int the mic .......piper24688cleareddirectpresentpositionto..H E L L U intersectionat9000feetholdaspublishedexpectfurtherclerianceat11:05timenow10:44....click

SILENCE.........then the pilot clicks the Mic and reads back the clearance even .....S L O W E R...........

Now this controller is in a rage so the rest of us folks are sweating bullets in a blizzard.......so we do EXACTLY as we are told and we fly and fly and about 35 minutes pass and all of a sudden the radio crackles and then .........N  E  W    Y  O  R K   A  P  P R  O O O C H ................ and then silence.........now the controller chimes on .... and says  november24688papa....sayagain??

UH OH .....bad juju....real bad juju.......N  E  W    Y  O  R K   A  P  P R  O O O C H......P I P E R  688PaPa.......could you send out a mechanic out here.......these engines are getting close to overhaul time......... 

OH CRAP the controller FORGOT about the slow-talker and committed the FIRING OFFENSE of not issuing a new clearance within the EFC (Expect Further Clearance time limit)........OH CRAP.......

Now in the kindest gentle voice you could imagine the controller gave 688papa a wonderful straight in vector to land ......while the rest of us flew around all over NY.......go figure.....

IF 688papa had had to declare low fuel the controller would have been dust......

So you see some folks can become .......lost without moving........

Drive on.......(how much more time to........EFC) 

Archived