I have a plastic mystery I need help solving.

I used to carry a Honda XR 650 on the back of my RV. I've since traded for a fuel injected bike for higher altitudes, a Kawasaki KL 650.

20230714_203407-jpg.514951

klr-jpg.514952

The Honda had no windshield. The Kawasaki, does but I installed an aftermarket higher one as seen in the pictures.

This past weekend here in Oregon, I was checking out a few museums and national monuments. While doing so, the KLR was on the back, in the sun. When I got home this morning and unloaded the Kawasaki, I noticed this spot on the dash just under the windshield. At first I thought something had gotten pulled up behind the rv and stuck between the windshield and the dash, but there are no marks on the windshield so that was not the case.

After some time thinking about it, I got to wondering if the shape of the windshield may have focused the sun light and melted this pattern.

2-jpg.514949

3-jpg.514950

What do you think? Could this be the case or....?

I'm a work'n on it.

Polysermites.  A termite-like microbe that attacks plastic.   Ha ha ha

Seriously no idea except was it parked in on spot for a period of time where the sun could have been reflected on the surface like a magnifying glass form something nearby/

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

10 hours ago, Deezl Smoke said:

I used to carry a Honda XR 650 on the back of my RV. I've since traded for a fuel injected bike for higher altitudes, a Kawasaki KL 650.

20230714_203407-jpg.514951

klr-jpg.514952

The Honda had no windshield. The Kawasaki, does but I installed an aftermarket higher one as seen in the pictures.

This past weekend here in Oregon, I was checking out a few museums and national monuments. While doing so, the KLR was on the back, in the sun. When I got home this morning and unloaded the Kawasaki, I noticed this spot on the dash just under the windshield. At first I thought something had gotten pulled up behind the rv and stuck between the windshield and the dash, but there are no marks on the windshield so that was not the case.

After some time thinking about it, I got to wondering if the shape of the windshield may have focused the sun light and melted this pattern.

2-jpg.514949

3-jpg.514950

What do you think? Could this be the case or....?

Effects of the sun most likely. Why I keep my bike and Jeep covered since I do not have garage unless I'm moving from place to place. 

Many years ago I was in Arizona with my Goldwing in the back of my pickup at the time. Left a water bottle on the seat in the Arizona sun and the combination melted a section of the seat. 

When I rode in Florida a lot I'd see guys putting T-Shirts on their windshields to prevent the effects of the sun through the windshields. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

When I was a teen we were moving and my mom laid a make up mirror that  magnified on one side on top of a box with towels as someone walked by on the way  to put the box into the back of the station wagon. I took another item less than 5 minutes later and found a large smoldering hole in the head liner. If I had been just a little later I suspect the whole shebang might have burned up and we might not have even known why. That was right about 60 years ago on a sunny fall day in Dallas.

That would lead me to believe your damage was a result of the sun. 

Ok so I may not be as far off on my thought. That curvature on the windshield may have helped direct and amplify the sun.

If I make another trip with it on the back like that, I shall take along an old teeshirt to cover the windshield. My intention eventually is to exchange places with the Ebike inside and set the Ebike on the tail. I have a full cover for it.

I'm a work'n on it.

Or it could have been vandalism.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

There are several YouTube videos showing how to light a fire using sunlight passing through a water bottle.  Any curved surface can concentrate sunlight at it's focal point.  So yes, your windshield could have concentrated the sunlight at the point where the dash melted.