Cash to carry while on the road?

justRich

We have driven uphill into a 50mph headwind  only to attempt to fillup at a fuel station that had electric to run the pumps but internet was out, so cash only.  We have had problems that needed either to pay the guy cash that would  get us back on the road or wait till our road service would show up as we sat in an undesirable area in East St Louis as the sun sunk in the west. Then there was the time in Utah when a brake shoe separated and locked the wheel a couple hundred cash again had us back on the road.

John

2017 F350 King Ranch DRW 6.7 4.10 B&W hitch

2017 DRV MS 36RSSB3

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 1/29/2024 at 8:24 PM, Payroll Person said:

Gubmint costs x to operate. Those who earn under the table or otherwise cheat, someone (those who are honest) have to make up the shortfall.

Under reporting hit self employed HARD during COVID as they could not prove their full income to get Covid Bennies.

Under reporting also means paying less into ss and Medicare. Ss under report is self harming, and harms spouse and potentially offspring. Under reporting for Medicare hurts all. 

Not to mention we are to "render unto Caesar what is Caesar's". I heard a man say one time, "there will be more people in Hell because of stinginess than any other reason." I don't know, but I wouldn't be surprised. 

I am preparing for a 3-week trip next month. That had me rethinking this a little bit. Usually, wife and I split the cash. Problem is Shes not going on this trip. Just me and the boys. We always paid cash for fuel. I stay by the pumps, and she went inside to prepay. She won't be there to do that, and I don't want to plug up the fuel island any more than it already is, so I have a TSD fuel card coming. I still believe in having a few hundred in emergency money. Sometimes you have to grease a few palms to get what you need done. I will probably have a lot less cash than normal on this trip. We are on a tighter budget than normal too. There will be lots of Rames noodles and ham sandwiches eaten on this trip.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

9 hours ago, jenandjon said:

We are on a tighter budget than normal too. There will be lots of Rames noodles and ham sandwiches eaten on this trip.

Ham sandwiches are one of my favorite foods no matter what the budget is.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 4/24/2024 at 1:49 PM, jenandjon said:

I am preparing for a 3-week trip next month. That had me rethinking this a little bit. Usually, wife and I split the cash. Problem is Shes not going on this trip. Just me and the boys. We always paid cash for fuel. I stay by the pumps, and she went inside to prepay. She won't be there to do that, and I don't want to plug up the fuel island any more than it already is, so I have a TSD fuel card coming. I still believe in having a few hundred in emergency money. Sometimes you have to grease a few palms to get what you need done. I will probably have a lot less cash than normal on this trip. We are on a tighter budget than normal too. There will be lots of Rames noodles and ham sandwiches eaten on this trip.

Ham sandwiches are love. I also really love them with cheese.
Additionally, I always keep a couple of packets of dehydrated food handy, mostly fruits and vegetables, just in case.

39 minutes ago, Gwytolla said:

Ham sandwiches are love. I also really love them with cheese.
Additionally, I always keep a couple of packets of dehydrated food handy, mostly fruits and vegetables, just in case.

At my current location I have a vendor at the local Farmers Market who dehydrates "Whole Eggs" and they are amazing. I have a couple small packs that I hope to try out soon on an overnight motorcycle/hammock trip. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.