How Long Can I Store Fresh Water In Tank?

aztex

Unless a water tank drain is installed directly into the tank bottom it cannot be completely drained. A side drain hole requires about ½" above the tank floor.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

When my niece was a toddler her parents took her canoeing in the Boundary Waters, now Voyagers National Park.  Karen would dip her fingers in the water as they paddled. Then suck her fingers. She got Giardia which is not something you want your toddler to have on a canoe trip. Those are some BIG lakes up there but not enough to keep the poop dilated to where it is not risky.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

15 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Unless a water tank drain is installed directly into the tank bottom it cannot be completely drained. A side drain hole requires about ½" above the tank floor.

Yes and if you've been around a lake shore in summer you'll find all the nasties growing in the warmer shallows not the deeper water. Not a perfect analogy but there's less surface exposed to air/full tank water than near empty tank.

We just need a big ol' UV light in the FW tanks! That would solve it! But how do you change the bulb? :D

2 hours ago, aztex said:

Interesting idea, they do make UV filters for install in a potable water line, but I don't remember what the cost was when I looked into it. Again I think they were one time use and it was more difficult to determine if they were actually working. 

I doubt they would enter the tank through the filler tube and as soon as you plugged it in while sitting in an empty tube you would have wasted your $100. I have direct access to my tank and could place one. I'll have to do more investigation before doing so though. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

You guys are over-thinking this UV light thing. Even if it was necessary, the first task is to determine if the tank material will be affected.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961