Update Chrome now!

Chalkie

I just ditched Chrome for Firefox on both of our laptops. I got tired of Google making Chrome look more and more like "candy" and objects like tabs and the bookmark bar taking up more space on our 14" laptop screens (and, because of her macular degeneration, my wife keeps the zoom on her screen at a fairly large size, which doesn't help that situation). Firefox is the only one of the "major" browsers that isn't based on Chromium and is one of the better for privacy... i.e. not part of the Google or Microsoft ecosystem and tracking.

OK - rant over.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

. i.e. not part of the Google or Microsoft ecosystem and tracking.

That alone probably makes it worth it. I have tried Edge, Chrome, Brave, Opera and not recently Firefox. I think it is more because I am used to Chrome than anything else. Perhaps I should download Firefox again and give it another look.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

10 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

That alone probably makes it worth it. I have tried Edge, Chrome, Brave, Opera and not recently Firefox. I think it is more because I am used to Chrome than anything else. Perhaps I should download Firefox again and give it another look.

The current Firefox looks and feels very much like Chrome did a few years ago. My wife is change-averse when it comes to technology and software - she's doing fine with the switch to Firefox.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I find it curious that the DoD uses and pushes Chrome browser. Every time I have trouble with one of their websites and call in, they insist I switch to Chrome. (not happening)  ?????? I've used FireFox since the version number was in the single digits, it's now 119.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I find it curious that the DoD uses and pushes Chrome browser. Every time I have trouble with one of their websites and call in, they insist I switch to Chrome. (not happening)  ?????? I've used FireFox since the version number was in the single digits, it's now 119.

Since Chrome and its derivatives dominate the browser world, I expect that's the browser the DoD uses in their site design criteria, 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

Since Chrome and its derivatives dominate the browser world, I expect that's the browser the DoD uses in their site design criteria, 

Technically Chrome is a derivative itself of the open-source Chromium project. However, according to Statcounter the top Chromium based browsers that have a significant enough share to mention (Chrome, Edge, Opera) make 71.52% of the share, so I suspect you are totally correct in thinking that is why they push it.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg