Volvo light switch malfunction

Sculptor

Here’s a new one for me.  We arrived home to our site in our current RV park, last night about 9:30 pm.  We drive a Ford suv for errands.  The 2013 Volvo 730 was parked next to our fifth wheel.  We could not have missed it.  I had moved it earlier in the day to be closer to our RV in case the wind got worse during the afternoon.  All that to say, we looked right at it.

This morning before first light, my wife raised the shade and said the truck lights were on.  I ran outside and sure enough the main lights were on and looked to be normal brightness, not dim.

I opened the driver door and the headlamp switch was OFF.  I turned it right 2 clicks.  The lights flickered off and came on as normal.  Then I switched back to off and the lights went off and stayed off.

I then started the truck briefly and had no trouble starting it, like the lights had not been on for a length of time.

Since it was so early I chose not to run it to charge the batteries in the early morning.  I will later today.  The main switch is now OFF.  😁. I feel very lucky the batteries were not discharged noticeably.

Very weird.  The only thing I can think of is the headlamp switch is going bad.  I didn’t climb up to see if there were any messages.

I’m just relating an experience, not asking for help.  Feel free to add comments and opinions.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

No security system.  Yesterday we had a tornado watch all afternoon.  I parked to block some of the wind if it got strong.  I left the doors both unlocked in case we needed to ditch the RV and run into the Volvo.

So yes there was a possibility someone was in the truck.  Not very likely.  They would have had to climb in, turn the lights on without using the switch, and slam the door on the way out.  Not impossible, just very unlikely.  😁

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

As I sat in the truck this morning, before I put the key in the ignition, I tried the lights.  I forgot the lights won’t come on without the key being on.   One of the more unusual short circuits I’ve ever dealt with.  Not that I’m actually dealing with it yet.  Lol.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3