New to Full Time

Intimnasc

Hey guys new here and thought I'd introduce myself. I live in Texas have property in Arkansas and travel a lot to Utah, Michigan, and Indiana. I travel a ton for work around the world. In the middle of a friendly divorce from my wife of 39 years and looking for my next chapter. I plan on a nice toy hauler with a 13 - 14 foot garage, bath and a half, and washer dryer connections. I'm liking the Grand Design Momentum M Class 395MS. I've owned tag alongs, pop ups, and small 5th wheels in the past. I like the pin weight, dry weight, floor plans, and features of this model. I plan on living; n it year round for at least 8 years.

I am looking for any advice on other brands models or features I should be looking at. I have a 1 ton diesel and a German Shepard. Thank you all for any advice you may have good or bad im pen to all ideas. 

HI! Welcome to the forums. There is an RV rating org at rv.org that can't help you select the perfect rig for you. What their rating books are excellent for is letting you narrow the field by finding which ones to avoid. https://rv.org/blogs/news

That link takes you to a free page with an article about toy-haulers and many others.

I have never owned a toy-hauler just a HitchHiker 36 foot fiver when we full-timed for seven years. But several folks here do.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I went to the GD web page because I like seeing what people are considering buying. I was surprised that they listed a bunch of recalls. I'd like to know if any of those applied to one I was buying. But GD has a good reputation and I like the one you are looking at. Does your one ton P/U have enough power to pull something that big? And, more important, to stop it?

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

You should check the Alliance Valor 44V14. If they had offered this when we bought last this would be it as we were looking for a toyhauler. It has stand alone dining table, lots of kitchen counter space, walk-in shower, and it has washer/dryer prep in both the bedroom and garage. We wanted the toyhauler to turn into an office/sewing room. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

On 9/16/2023 at 11:25 PM, sandsys said:

I went to the GD web page because I like seeing what people are considering buying. I was surprised that they listed a bunch of recalls. I'd like to know if any of those applied to one I was buying. But GD has a good reputation and I like the one you are looking at. Does your one ton P/U have enough power to pull something that big? And, more important, to stop it?

Linda Sand

It's an LBZ Dirtymax with a bad diesel transmission cooler and a mishimoto intercooler. If need be I'll add the cooler towing radiator add on for additional cooling. Four wheel disc brakes with brand new Powerstop drilled and slotted rotors with ceramic pads. I hope it's enought to get it around.

Trucks listed at 20k I believe so I should be fine.  

The Alliance Valor is nice but I'm trying to stay at or below 100K till I get back on my feet. 

I've looked at the Forrest River Rogues and honestly wanted one of those before I saw the GD. Looking the the Keystone Fusion Impact 415 also but may need to get slightly used like the GD. Also doesn't say alot about how well insulated it is and doesn't appear to offer a third ac. I live in Texas for now anyways. 

30 minutes ago, Intimnasc said:

Looking the the Keystone Fusion Impact 415 also but may need to get slightly used like the GD. Also doesn't say alot about how well insulated it is and doesn't appear to offer a third ac. I live in Texas for now anyways. 

If you are in Texas I would walk away from the Fuzion. I looked at the specs and it says two 3/4 ton air conditioners. I think that is obfuscation. 3/4 ton is equal to 9000 BTU and therefore 18000 BTU. Our Montana only has two ACs with the option for a third but those two are 15000 and 12000 BTU units for 27000 BTU and they were struggling this summer to the point we got a 6000 BTU portable AC to supplement them.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

In the south, you will want three 15,000 BTUH A/C units on a 40 foot plus RV.  Summer heat is a killer on these poorly insulated RVs.  Now you can step up the game to a better insulated RV, but you cost just doubled.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Ignore the dry weight in the brochures.  Work form GVWR that is on the sticker on the front left corner of the 5er.  For estimating loaded pin weight of the trailer, use 22% of the GVWR, although it can run higher.  We were at 23%.

You might do much better looking at higher end 5ers that are 3 to 5 years old.  It will save you a lot on depreciation.  These RV depreciate like a rock the first year.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

23 hours ago, Intimnasc said:

Trucks listed at 20k I believe so I should be fine.  

The Alliance Valor is nice but I'm trying to stay at or below 100K till I get back on my feet. 

I've looked at the Forrest River Rogues and honestly wanted one of those before I saw the GD. Looking the the Keystone Fusion Impact 415 also but may need to get slightly used like the GD. Also doesn't say alot about how well insulated it is and doesn't appear to offer a third ac. I live in Texas for now anyways. 

It's not about towing capacity with fifth wheels - it's all about payload. If your truck is a DRW, you're likely OK; if it is a SRW, possibly not. Use 23% of the trailer's GVWR (from the sticker - not empty weight) to estimate a loaded pin weight.

We have been full-time a little over eight years in two Grand Design fifth wheels (first a Reflection and now our Solitude). We've been happy with both the RVs and Grand Design's customer service. They are by no means "high end" coaches (you have to double the money to get those), but have been comfortable to live in and good values. Be aware that you give up about 1/3 of your living space when you opt for a toy hauler - and the garages are notoriously hard to keep warm in the winter and cool in the summer if you plan to use it for more than hauling a motorcycle or something.

Rob

Edited by Second Chance

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I looked at both mentioned RVs specs.  I have a won-ton dually, both those are heavier than what I'm rated for.  I don't see a won-ton single rear tire pulling those safely.  For one person, that's a huge camper, even living in it, IMHO.  I'm looking hard at GD toy haulers like the 350/351 Momentum for 2 of us along with a couple pets and an HD Tri-glide.  Even those push my limits, I'd need to watch it going up/down sharp grades.  I plan on installing elec. over hydraulic disk brakes on what we end up with just to be safe.  Being 44-46ft rvs mentioned, might limit campgrounds/resorts availability.

Honestly IMHO, if I went with an RV as big/heavy as those 2, I'd be thinking hard about selling my truck and purchasing an HDT to pull those monsters.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

6 minutes ago, NDBirdman said:

I looked at both mentioned RVs specs.  I have a won-ton dually, both those are heavier than what I'm rated for.  I don't see a won-ton single rear tire pulling those safely.  For one person, that's a huge camper, even living in it, IMHO.  I'm looking hard at GD toy haulers like the 350/351 Momentum for 2 of us along with a couple pets and an HD Tri-glide.  Even those push my limits, I'd need to watch it going up/down sharp grades.  I plan on installing elec. over hydraulic disk brakes on what we end up with just to be safe.  Being 44-46ft rvs mentioned, might limit campgrounds/resorts availability.

Honestly IMHO, if I went with an RV as big/heavy as those 2, I'd be thinking hard about selling my truck and purchasing an HDT to pull those monsters.

The GD fifth wheels (with the exception of the Reflections) have an option that includes 8K axles, 17.5" Cooper H rated tires, and electric-over-hydraulic disc brakes.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

1 hour ago, Second Chance said:

The GD fifth wheels (with the exception of the Reflections) have an option that includes 8K axles, 17.5" Cooper H rated tires, and electric-over-hydraulic disc brakes.

Rob

Yes, I discussed that with a dealer recently.  But.... still does not change the weight.  Too heavy for my truck is still too heavy.  Also doesn't come into play if buying used.  I'm personally looking to find one pre-covid.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On 9/16/2023 at 3:49 PM, RV_ said:

There is an RV rating org at rv.org that can't help you select the perfect rig for you. What their rating books are excellent for is letting you narrow the field by finding which ones to avoid. https://rv.org/blogs/news

Unfortunately, the Ratings Book is no longer published as of 2022.  Earlier ratings books are available:

About us - RV Consumer Group

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul