Help with Refrigerator Decision

I've totally HAD IT with my propane refrigerator. Camping at the beach last week where the temperatures at night got down to mid 50s and during the day into the high 80s, the propane refrigerator temperature in both the freezer and main unit was all over the place. Melted Ice Cream in the afternoon and frozen vegetables in the morning! I bought an internal fan system and a rheostat temperature control from JC Refrigeration and it didn't help at all.....Soooo...

I've decided to go with a compressor refrigerator.....8 cu ft

The choice is a $1500 12V DC unit or a 120v residential unit for $400 and an inverter.

My trailer has a 1000w Xantrex inverter, 520watts of solar and 200aH of Lithium

If the inverter and residential frig needs more battery bank, I can buy a bunch of battery Ah for the $1100 difference!

What say the board? Any experience with the residential/inverter situation?

The residential refrigerator I'm looking at has a rating of 6a @ 120v.

The DC refrigerator is 3a at night -9a during the day at 12V

Thanks in advance!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Go for the residential fridge and don’t look back!  We’ve had a compressor based fridge for the last 9 years and haven’t yet “missed” our absorption fridge!! Temps hold WAY better and it takes much less time to cool the fridge down when preparing for a trip.  We have a 1,000 watt inverter and 4 golf cart batteries, plenty of electricity to run that Whirlpool!   We love it and would NEVER go back to “the dark side”!  😝

With 4 batteries we can be off grid for at least 24 hours with no problems   We do campgrounds with hooks ups exclusively, full disclosure   

Dan

LDSP.jpg

22 minutes ago, rbertalotto said:

That sounds ambitious.....Was it difficult? Who recharged it?

I'm short on details because I'm technically challenged. 🙃 first it was a conversion done in Australia hence my 240v. Second it was done by the folks fitting out the conversion.

But we/they purchased a standard residential fridge. Then removed the 240v compressor and replaced it with a Danfoss 12v compressor. It was that simple. Or so they told me. In the year we owned that bus the fridge was never turned off. We had hard ice cream even in 120f conditions. (Note there is more to keeping a fridge cold such as the correct ventilation).

I suggest you do a Google on Danfoss compressors.

My use I would get a residential unit and an inverter. But I did use ours for years without an inverter. As long as you back on power same day you good. If boondocking need inverter. Our residential unit lasted 20 years. 

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

8 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

My use I would get a residential unit and an inverter. But I did use ours for years without an inverter. As long as you back on power same day you good. If boondocking need inverter. Our residential unit lasted 20 years. 

FWIW our bus never went on power. We always dry camped/boondocked. But you need to do the maths and check your battery and solar figures. We had a large inverter and never used it. The Danfoss compressors are very efficient. 

We installed a 10.1 Cu Ft Magic Chef last year and never looked back. When running it only draws 56 watts on our 2000 watt PSW inverter.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

Look at jc refrigeration in Shipshewana. If you like the size and trim that refrigerator has now they can convert it to a 12 volt compressor cooling unit.

I spoke to them last week. And I viewed and read a few reviews on the conversion. First, it's rather expensive. About $1100+ all in if they do the conversion. Second, you are still dealing with a space robbing, ice frosting,  aluminum fin type of cooling system. As long as my 520w of solar and 200aH of Lithium can get me through 48 hours with a residential/inverter, I'd be fine. I have a generator and a 40a DC to DC charger running off the tow vehicle to charge batteries if there is extended no solar.....I 95% boondock.

Decision....Decisions!

RoyB

South of Boston

2021 Dodge 2500 - 6.4L

Forest River 19RR Toy Hauler

Roofnest Falcon Rooftop Tent

www.rvbprecision.com

Had the same problem as the OP with our priior 5er - lots of ruined food.  Tried all sorts of fans and gadgets and couldn't make the thing work.  Added 300 amps of Li, a 3kw inverter and a residential fridge and never looked back.  All in was still cheaper than a POS gas fridge.  The residential fridge was great and the Li batteries even better.  Look into the batteries on Amazon.  Prices have plummeted.  

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

I hated the absorption style fridge's need to always be level. But what you want has nothing to do with RV or residential--the difference is absorption vs. compressor. Kind of like the difference between residence and domicile. I would go compressor again every time.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I’ve had residential compressor fridges in the last two rigs (with inverters).  I would never go back to a gas absorption fridge.  If you already have an existing inverter (that can power the fridge circuit), it’s a no brainer - go with a residential.  It will be the cheapest option and will work very well.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg