2001 Volvo Replacement Key Questions

BPepper

I have a 2001 Volvo 660. My son lost my keys yesterday and I'm down to my spare. My question is does anyone know a place other than the dealer who can cut a replacement key and are the keys programmed in this year truck? The key is a sidewinder key. Thanks 

My 2000 has a odd looking set of keys, I don't know what a sidewinder key looks like, mine is a rectangle key with groves cut in the wider side of the rectangle.   I went to two lock smiths and a Volvo dealer and no one could make new keys for me.

2000 Volvo VNL 610

2011 Cedar Creek 36RE

4 minutes ago, craigjanelle said:

Not sure what a Sidewinder key is, but, on our '12 Volvo 670 I found a match for our key @ Lowes. It was labeled 19r1 (Chrysler product) or a 19r2. Had them make a couple keys for me & both worked in ignition & door. Good Luck-Safe Travels.

Same for my 2007

48 minutes ago, craigjanelle said:

Not sure what a Sidewinder key is, but, on our '12 Volvo 670 I found a match for our key @ Lowes. It was labeled 19r1 (Chrysler product) or a 19r2. Had them make a couple keys for me & both worked in ignition & door.  

Same for my '08.  Used a local to me locksmith and no programming necessary.

Marcel

22 hours ago, craigjanelle said:

Not sure what a Sidewinder key is, but, on our '12 Volvo 670 I found a match for our key @ Lowes. It was labeled 19r1 (Chrysler product) or a 19r2. Had them make a couple keys for me & both worked in ignition & door. Good Luck-Safe Travels.

Same for my 2006.  Made several spares at Lowe’s.  Didn’t know there were different styles of Volvo keys.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Little tip for those who might care, the generation of Volvo keys that are the same as Dodge, Bolt Locks will work with the Volvo key.

Boltlock.com

Order the Dodge version.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Keys to 1986 to 2001 - volvo high security 2 track (hi sec 2) blanks.  Volvo part 3091508

If you know the code number you can etsy it..  or online store

blanks   https://www.ebay.com/itm/393291720901

locksmith in Duluth GA can cut (678) 699-2634, they say they can refer to other local locksmiths if needed. (video)  

I think this might be the same key as the volvo s40/s70, but not 100%. So if the locksmith cant cut a VNL780 key, they might be able to do a car s40.  

2002 - 2017    volvo part 20719248   - dual sided non-transponder key, can be cut anywhere there are blanks

Ilco blank 1588 (metal head)

Ilco blank 1628 (plastic head)

Volvo Truck Gen2  Key Fob Remote Control Door Lock 21392420 

Edited by dbrandon

dbrandon,

What a concise and informative answer to the question.  Kudos and thank you for that.  I’m going to archive it.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"