Wife Question

ddm502001

Since 5ver series seem to be at an utmost premium on toy haulers, wife asked if would be better to install a part time bed floor to KW, perhaps purchase a Tongue Type and use flat area to haul the Harley.  Not certain if that is any more viable, Considerations/concerns?  I did weld in a Cat 4 receiver box and have trailer plug ins at rear plate.  Currently in a bandaged battered state of Cubital Tunnel surgery Left elbow.

Dave

I agree, a toyhauler is much more expensive and in my experience with the commercially available ones, don't last very long for a full time user.  That said, I wouldn't want to use a bumper pull trailer, unless I really had to, they are a pain to back and if not loaded correctly can get out of hand back there. Sure pulling with an HDT, you may not even feel that it's flopped over on it's side, but the damage will still be done. You will be happy it wasn't hooked up to a pickup and it's sort of out of shape too. 

In my younger days I pulled a heavy construction trailer over many a mile with an International Travelall (remember them?) The lessons I learned with appropriate use of the trailer brake saved me several times. Some of my co-workers were not so lucky, but those Internationals were tough to turn over even with those heavy trailers on their sides. 

Just my experience, yours and others may vary. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Biggest consideration is how are you going to get the Harley up there? 

I carry a bike and Jeep. I run the bike up the ramps onto the bed, but it is a little bit interesting. And that is a small adventure bike, not a big cruiser. Other than the weird looks in the cg, no problems whatsoever pulling a TT.Nqcy5cal.jpg

21 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

Biggest consideration is how are you going to get the Harley up there? 

I carry a bike and Jeep. I run the bike up the ramps onto the bed, but it is a little bit interesting. And that is a small adventure bike, not a big cruiser. Other than the weird looks in the cg, no problems whatsoever pulling a TT.Nqcy5cal.jpg

Ride it on!!

When I first started I had a 5th wheel toy hauler. I was full time and the garage was wasted living space. I also traveled alone and unloading down the ramp on the back of the fiver was a little dangerous for me alone. After a few years traveling I purchased a Class A Diesel pusher and had a Hydralift welded onto the frame. I had no problem traveling with my Harley riding on the Hydralift with my Jeep pulled behind.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

On 8/1/2023 at 6:33 AM, jenandjon said:

Trailer prices wil be crashing soon. Wait a year and buy a toy hauler. 

Been noting the price drops, and reading the Over Loaded inventories articles.  Several people even noted had not had theirs out over a year and were tired of RV life, two year old trailers.  One would think they would have looked into these first.

We had a custom built Toyhauler made by Dune Sport in 2019 for under $100k. We have over 50k miles on it behind our HDT. We put either our SUV or a full size van in garage and can carry our smart car on the bed of the truck. We typically go out for 3-4 months at a time.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

2 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Yes, the conversion from commercial truck to motor home requires no weight bearing hitch. Bumper pull hitch to comply and get approved.

When i was at Wisc DMV they said if i register my Volvo as a motorhome i could not haul 5th wheel only bumper pull 

But they also said weight of motorhome is for registration. We dont care how much the camper / toyhauler trailer weighs. I found that interesting in Wisc.   Same license  plate as a class A B or C just different weight sticker. I brought this up before on the forum , but not much discussion. I have seen bumper pull trailers pass me and go up on 2 wheels (one side) but it was driver caused by driving like a maniac pulling the trailer.