Well, it begins.

rynosback

12 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I am not sure of the implications of a 'private truck' in crossing state lines? 

Licensing is reciprocal.  If it's legal in your state, it's accepted anywhere in the states, as per Big5er, and he should know.

To clarify, someone wrote that day cabs have smaller cabins.  Not if you compare the same models.  For instance, I believe all Volvo cabs are the same within model years.  But if you look at Kenworths, a 680 has a totally different cab than some other models.  I see lots of 680 day cabs on the road.  Day cabs and sleepers can be had in either.

Homework........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Licensing is reciprocal.  If it's legal in your state, it's accepted anywhere in the states, as per Big5er, and he should know.

That was not the issue noted, IF your registration is that of a truck with out IRP/IFTA then do you need a trip permit.    That has nothing to do with licensing or registrationin your home state.    

You may be welcomed to a state with open arms and, asked to donate to the state for highway and fuel taxes you have not paid to that state.     RV's are moved by manufactures/dealers with trucks of all sizes, a day cab with an out of state tag looks fishy to many LEO's.     Just because you are not a commercial truck does not mean you are not a heavy vehicle that has not paid use fees in that state.    

I also noted that this was a possible issue not a given, towing an RV with a personal vehicle may negate that.    Then again, it may not?      Remember too that many states have a hard on for vehicles plated in tax haven states in general.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Ah yes.  You are correct.  But my point is, if you are plated as a private truck, or motorhome, all other states will respect that, provided you are within the law so far as being commercial or not.  Cross that line of being commercial, and it doesn't matter what registration you have.  That's why we took our Volvo out of being owned by our farm and licensed it personally.

From my own poking in the resource guide, I believe the OP could use a day cab and plate it as a private truck, registered in SD.  BUT, it doesn't qualify as a m/h, so he may need a license other than a regular drivers license.  I just didn't dig that far.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

How your truck is licensed will dictate the need for CDL or not. RVs are exempt from weight requirements as far as the type of license required.  However the state you are licensed in calls it, that is what you have to do. Texas does require an air brake endorsement but you can add that to a regular DL. As far as the DOT is concerned, if you are not commercial and licensed as such, you don't need a CDL. I've still got my Class A CDL, but I'm not required to have it in Arkansas, therefore due to the reciprocal agreement, I don't need it any state. All I had to do was tell the Revenue Dept (DMV) the truck was for RV use only. The tag is the same as a car or pickup, or manufactured RV, about $38 a year. My title says "pickup". The clerk was hesitant to call it an RV because it is just a semi with a bed, no commercial 5th wheel. She said it doesn't really matter what we called it since the tag is the same and all they were interested in was the money. Since I was using it like a pickup, that is what she decided to call it. It's been renewed several times since the title was changed, no problems so far.

Edited by mike5511

On 7/17/2023 at 9:43 PM, hatrack said:

Thank Rick, We are registered in TN. as a MH body style. Our truck is @ 23' long btb. With DRV 64'8" btb.

Ken....

So your rig is only 4’ longer? 

over all length 230.4”

wheel base is 140”

Turning circle is 45.1”

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

On 7/17/2023 at 6:30 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

I am not sure of the implications of a 'private truck' in crossing state lines?    

https://www.kellerpermits.com/permits/trip-permits

When you compare day cabs and sleeper trucks are they apples to oranges?     The reason I mentioned sleeper truck being less costly is the shear number and the vocational aspects of day cabs.     Vocational trucks like dumps, are speced differently than long haul trucks.     Line haul day cabs would be the closest thing to sleeper trucks but still different enough to be a poor comparison.

Are you looking at tandem axle day cabs, single axle or both?     Are you looking for California legal trucks?

California legal trucks? Do you mean equipt like cars with California emissions? I’m not registering it in CA.

On 7/17/2023 at 9:58 PM, Randyretired said:

I considered day cabs but instead bought a small 42" sleeper.  It is very maneuverable and will turn circles inside my pickups.  We carry a Subaru so left it tandem. This truck was part of a 2 truck company and had many added options including air lockers.  In Colorado we can just register as a recreational truck or MH.  Ours is recreational. Of course each state has its own requirements. A regular drivers license is all that is needed. 

You carry a Subaru? In tow or on the bed of the truck in front of the 5ver? 

24 minutes ago, rynosback said:

California legal trucks? Do you mean equipt like cars with California emissions? I’m not registering it in CA.

Kinda, as a truck IF you wanted to visit California your truck would have to be California emissions complient.    As an RV there is an exemption.     There are tons of places on the net you can learn about these issues.

I just measured my truck, it has a 64" sleeper and a 9' bed, overall length is 24' 6" with 200" wheelbase.      similar truck with a 52" sleeper it is really 48" and a foot shorter bed could be under 22'    My rear bumper and hitch stick out 5~6 inches 

20200202-162641.jpg

Edited by Steve from SoCal

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

1 hour ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Kinda, as a truck IF you wanted to visit California your truck would have to be California emissions complient.    As an RV there is an exemption.     There are tons of places on the net you can learn about these issues.

I just measured my truck, it has a 64" sleeper and a 9' bed, overall length is 24' 6" with 200" wheelbase.      similar truck with a 52" sleeper it is really 48" and a foot shorter bed could be under 22'    My rear bumper and hitch stick out 5~6 inches 

20200202-162641.jpg

I’ve been looking at some sleepers online. Probably about the size of a crew cab. I know these trucks turn so much better also. 
Volvos seem to be the prefered rig or does it really matter? Is it more about engine and power train? They all have air ride, air cab and air seats.

so is it Cummins, Cat, Detroit? 
I’ve read that the Volvo Ishift is the way to go, I want an automatic. 
are there certain rears better or prefered? The lower the gear the better the millage, but you suffer on pulling power if you go to low. 

1 hour ago, rynosback said:

So your rig is only 4’ longer? 

over all length 230.4”

wheel base is 140”

Turning circle is 45.1”

Yes, 4' longer then the numbers you posted. If you need the number broke down I can post the spec for the Volvo VNR 640 for you. I have my hitch 6" behind the axle and a 16" drom box that moves my hitch back more then you would have too, if you didn't have them.

These are vnr's 640 single axle trucks on truckpapers. They are a little longer wheelbase than mine, they are 195" mine is 189".  I can put photos of truck on google and link to them if you want.

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/search?Category=16045&Model=VNR42T640&Manufacturer=VOLVO

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

My personal preference is a pre-emission Cat but that train left the station long ago for what you are looking for.     Volvo and Paccar both have their own engines that seem to be as good as Cummins or Detroit at this point.     I am a Paccar guy myself but the newer Volvo's are really nice trucks and, they do seem to have the best automated transmissions.

15 minutes ago, hatrack said:

Yes, 4' longer then the numbers you posted. If you need the number broke down I can post the spec for the Volvo VNR 640 for you. I have my hitch 6" behind the axle and a 16" drom box that moves my hitch back more then you would have too, if you didn't have them.

These are vnr's 640 single axle trucks on truckpapers. They are a little longer wheelbase than mine, they are 195" mine is 189".  I can put photos of truck on google and link to them if you want.

https://www.truckpaper.com/listings/search?Category=16045&Model=VNR42T640&Manufacturer=VOLVO

A few I booked.

https://www.truckpaper.com/listing/for-sale/219269775/2020-volvo-vnr42t400-sleeper-trucks

https://www.truckpaper.com/listing/for-sale/224129467/2019-volvo-vnr42t640-sleeper-trucks

https://www.truckpaper.com/listing/for-sale/225442739/2013-volvo-vnl64t630-sleeper-trucks

https://www.truckpaper.com/listing/for-sale/224179509/2020-volvo-vnr42t640-sleeper-trucks

2 hours ago, rynosback said:

Are you changing out the hard mounted hitch, or is the air ride of the truck sufficient? 

You should change the hitch. The heavy truck rearend will beat your trailer to death, you'll need a air ride hitch, I have an ET Junior on mne and you will have to convert the lights for the trailer.

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

13 minutes ago, rynosback said:

Lower the millage the better but most of them seem to be 600-900k in miles.

is 1 million overhaul time? With all of them having that millage, I ‘m thinking there due for a big service.

that one 640 you listed had 399,???. and came with 1 year warrenty.

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

3 hours ago, rynosback said:

You carry a Subaru? In tow or on the bed of the truck in front of the 5ver? 

Crosstrek on the bed of the truck.  Carried at an angle with the nose of the car over the short sleeper.   Sometimes carry a small RZR across the bed under the front of the car with the roll bar removed.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

47 minutes ago, hatrack said:

that one 640 you listed had 399,???. and came with 1 year warrenty.

Yes, I tagged it, but not looking to spend 85k on a rig.  I was looking to be 40k or less. 

Edited by rynosback

On 7/19/2023 at 11:05 PM, rynosback said:

Interesting, looks like the three market segments have settled down to the pre-pandemic, pre-"wait two years to get a new truck", days. 

Newer stuff 300,000 miles, warranty, $80K,    500-600,000 off warranty $50-60K,      high mileage working stuff $30K. So the decisions are as follows: I got the dough, I want minimal hassles, go for the first group. Can't spend that much, nor do I want to, will have to fix few things here and there, go for the second group. Not afraid to service things or fix things, even on the road traveling, go for the third group. I went for the third group, fixed things on the road three times over ten years and 100,000 miles of RVing, spent about $30,000 doing this and normal service, which averaged $3,000 per year. Not bad in my opinion. Three times broken down on the road, I viewed it as an adventure, wife did too. As a matter of fact she "organized" one of these herself (a two weeks stay at a shop in Michigan). The two other times, we were at a campground anyway, so having the truck in the shop was no big deal.

Whichever group you pick, it still beats the price of the new pickup, either by a little or by a lot.

Remember, this market doesn't give a rats behind what us RVers want or can afford, it is driven by working truckers and trucking companies and how reliable the used rigs will be on the road working. Hence the newer rigs are up there close to the price of new trucks.

Edited by phoenix2013