Fuel discount programs Summer 23

Steve from SoCal

Greetings,

I know this has been a hot topic in the past, well things change.     Who and where are the best fuel programs to be found this summer.    I am getting ready to go to California and, want to fuel in the SW Kansas/ Ok panhandle area.    I have the capacity to bunker 420 gallons likely take on 350+    I am planning to depart next Wed

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

420 gal, should easily get you from sw Kansas to LA and back assuming 6.5 mpg.

I've been buying fuel at Costco.  Every time I've checked, they beat the best I could do using a discount card at a truck stop.  Of course, that may not always be true, but so far......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hey Rick,

Have you ever used a Co-Op for a largish fuel buy?    This may not be a big sale to them?     I have a local co-op that sells fuel mainly E-85 but their ads mention diesel.

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Local co-op's are the highest price fuel available. They make up for it with your membership cheque at year end. Watch your prices.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Darryl's right.  I just had that discussion with one of our tenants today.  He took his trucks to the local co-op for fuel at $3.85.  Closest Costco is $3.13.  BUT, that Costco is about 20ish miles away while the co-op is 6 miles.  Bigger purchases make the distance economical.  Can't bother taking the smart, or even my pickup.

That said, there are no truck stops as close as the Costco, and all the regular stations run in the $3.80 range.

Your big tanks are your advantage.

EDIT:  If it makes you feel any better, when we got back from our last trip, I topped off at Costco when it was "only" $3.39.  Contrary to what all the "Chicken Littles" are crying, fuel prices have been dropping.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

The closest Costco is in Wichita 60 miles in the wrong direction.     That and I would have to bobtail down there, I will check it out.

Just checked Wichita area.  Costco is about $0.48 higher than some places called Jump Start near there.

350 gal x $.48 is.... not enough to make up for the drive.  But, that's over $1.00 better than Hutch.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Just checked Wichita area.  Costco is about $0.48 higher than some places called Jump Start near there.

350 gal x $.48 is.... not enough to make up for the drive.  But, that's over $1.00 better than Hutch.

We went through Wichita yesterday and I thought about patronizing that same Jump Start.  The placed just had that "sketchy fuel quality" look to me so I passed on by.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

It's just crazy how much fuel has come down.  Last September, we thought we'd struck gold when we filled up in Oklahoma for $4.09.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Well Steve, 

Just filled up my service truck at Costco in Temecula, which has the best price around for Cali, at $4.05.  Earlier this week it was $3.98, a best price its been in a LONG time.  I fueled up at Locklove on my way to Caldwell, ID for the WCR and it was $3.59, a welcome sight for me.

Most other diesel locally is up above $4.50

Marcel

Thanks for all the data folks,

That price in California is fantastic, I am tankering the fuel to make it round trip without refueling.    I was basing this on a worst case 6 dollar a gallon.

Regarding Jump Start, there is a station that just becme a Jump Start right down the street from my shop, I have been buying premium for 2.88 a gallon there, diesel is 3.59     They bought a bunch of Cenex stations

I go back and forth between TSD card and Mudflap app. TSD is usually a few cents cheaper at overlap stations, but they don’t have all the same coverage.

Mudflap is free use the app on your phone, links to a credit card, no application process.

I check both and pick whatever makes the most sense for price and location.