Texas vehicle inspections update

2 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I am very happy about this. It is a pain to get mine inspected. With work I be on place long time and registration comes due and I can't get it inspected. 

You can register your vehicles without having the inspection you will just have to have it inspected the next time you are in the state. 

The inspection here in Texas is pretty minimal compared to some states and, personally, I am all for it if it keeps the folks with bald tires, burned out bulbs, semi-functional wipers, etc. off the road. The emissions "testing" is pretty minimal too as all it looks at is if any emissions parts have been removed or disabled. In Colorado I had have my truck emissions tested on a dyno and here diesels are exempt. 

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

5 hours ago, sheldons65 said:

Texas passes bill eliminating mandatory vehicle inspections

https://www.kxan.com/news/texas/texas-passes-bill-eliminating-mandatory-vehicle-inspections/amp/

Interesting update will impact Escapees.

Yay! I saw many violations when I lived in Texas 1975-1978 and again in 1997/98, where we were when I retired and we went full-time changing our address to Rainbow's End.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My truck hasn’t yet made it to Texas, though I keep saying I’ll go back one of these winters.  It would be nice not to have to worry about finding somewhere to get it inspected almost as soon as I cross the border, so I’m all for this.  My truck would easily pass the inspection, but still - it’s the inconvenience of it.

Edited by fpmtngal

2 hours ago, Chalkie said:

You can register your vehicles without having the inspection you will just have to have it inspected the next time you are in the state. 

The inspection here in Texas is pretty minimal compared to some states and, personally, I am all for it if it keeps the folks with bald tires, burned out bulbs, semi-functional wipers, etc. off the road. The emissions "testing" is pretty minimal too as all it looks at is if any emissions parts have been removed or disabled. In Colorado I had have my truck emissions tested on a dyno and here diesels are exempt. 

Most all my  work was in Texas though

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, durangodon said:

I think he's saying that it's a pain in the butt to break camp, hitch up, and take the trailer down to get it inspected.  Then, take it back home and set it up again.

Also can't get a vechile inspected on weekend. So even if I got weekend off couldn't get it inspected. I finally found a person to do inspection unseen. It is illegal. I am glad it is over.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Also can't get a vechile inspected on weekend. So even if I got weekend off couldn't get it inspected. I finally found a person to do inspection unseen. It is illegal. I am glad it is over.

I will agree that trailer inspections are a joke in that they have to be taken to an inspection location. There is no good reason a trailer or RV can't be inspected on site as long as an inspector is willing to visit the site. A friend found an inspector near us that will visit and do the inspection (yes, it is illegal technically) and that is what we too have done. On that note though, unless your trailer is going to be on the road you can also just forego the inspection and tag renewal until you are ready to move again if you want. I see people in our homebase park doing this all the time with no penalty.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 3 weeks later...